16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 oz load for Federal Hull?
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Would appreciate a validated 1oz load for Federal Hull/SG16 Wad/Unique/W206. Our spreadsheet references have some inconsistent recommendations.

TIA,
Brewster
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

From the 2000 Alliant reloaders guide.

Federal 2 3/4 plastic Hull with paper base wad, 1 ounce shot Federal 209A primer Active G28 (Gualandi 1618) wad, 21.5 Unique powder, 1220 Fps at 8,200 psi. It doesn't list a load for a Federal hull with a Winchester 209 primer but you can use this load to compare with others to see how they stack up with these component changes.

Last edited by Twice Barrel on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
spr310
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Fed 16 Plas 1 oz. Unique 18.5 25 Fed 209 Rem R-16 1165 8100psi HSR
Fed 16 Plas 1 oz. Unique 19.5 26 Fed 209 Rem R-16 1220 9000psi HSR
Fed 16 Plas 1 oz. Unique 21.0 28 Fed 209A WAA16 1220 8400 psi Alliant 7/96
Fed 16 Plas 1 oz. Unique 21.5 29 Fed 209A Activ G-28 1220 8200 psi Alliant 7/96
Fed 16 Plas 1 oz. Unique 22.0 Fed 209A Rem SP-16 1288 9,300 Lymans 5th
Fed 16 Plas 1 oz. Unique 23.0 31 Fed 209A Activ G-28 1275 9000 psi Alliant 7/96
Fed 16 Plas 1 oz. Unique 23.0 31 Fed 209A WAA16 1275 8800 psi Alliant 7/96
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Many thanks. BTW, my MEC consistently throws charges about 1 grain lighter than listed in the bushing charts for Unique. Anyone else notice that?
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

That is a liability factor coming into play all most all bushings throw around 7 tenth's + - light

Regards Charles
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I use a bigger bushing with all of my powders to start with, then weigh a bunch of charges, see what the avg throw is. Change if necessary, or just weigh all charges, depends on what and how many I am loading.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Not to take this thread in another direction but, the Multiscale Bars are a great improvement on bushings and solid cavity bars. You can dial them into the exact weight(s) that you need. Since everyone has a scale or should, they are ideal for a guy that experiments a lot.

I use them on all my machines both single stage or progessive, they all have thousands of rounds thru them (they are all over 10 years old).
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I also ditched bushings long ago. Variable charge bars can, as DC states, be adjusted through a wide range for 'experimenters'. In my case I rarely change powders anymore but the variable bar allows me to carefully adjust load weight for varying shot sizes.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 am  Reply with quote

Do the adjustable bars hold the proper adjustment? Or do you have to keep an eye on them?
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:02 am  Reply with quote

The adjustable bar has a locking allen screw to ensure the powder and shot settings stay put. The adjustable bar is a great invention and I would highly recomend it esp. if you're use several different loads...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:16 am  Reply with quote

Adjustable bars with round or oviod cavities will naturally throw the most consistant charges. Squared off cavitiese are less consistant. A baffle will help either one.

If you are looking for the most consistant thrown charges you can get, stick with round cavity bushings w/ baffle. If a bit more variation is acceptable, some of the squarish type cavities will do okay.

Another solution, and one I use for all serious max hunting loads, is to throw the charge a bit light into a powder scale pan and use a dribbler to bring it up to perfect. The adjustable bar with a square cavity will work as well as anything for this technique. So will a regular pistol powder measure. It takes a bit more time, but I usually will be loading no more than 50 rounds at a shot on a progressive press used to load the shels like a single stage. My technique gives me the most consistant and well assembled, well crimped loads I'm able to make.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

You know GG you are so full of horse manure, + or - 0.1 of a grain on powder throws, with a Multiscale bar are routine, shot charges are equally accurate,

I suppose you have experience that tells you that you can get + or - 0.05 of a grain with the standard charge bars, as if you have a powder scale that can meassure that fine. Or let me guess, you had a myriad of conversations with Dave Kern at MEC and now you have all the answers.

This is where you and I ain't gonna make it, when you are clueless on a subject SHUT UP!! That way nobody will ever know, that you don't know your a** from first base.
Citori_16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

Wasn't it Abraham Lincoln that said

"It is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."

I don't post much for this reason. If there is something that I feel I have a little knowledge about I'll say something. Doesn't mean that I truly do know anything about the subject, but hopefully my ignorance, if that be the case, is corrected and I'm able to learn something from the exchange.

I've learned quite a lot in the past couple years reading this board and asking questions. Thanks!
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:52 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
"It is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."

It was actually Mark Twain that said this quote...

Most of the guys on the BB are pretty knowledgeable with their contribution and if they don't know the topic, they don't start shoveling the bullsh*t.

It just the huge pile of manure in Mass. that is affecting the global warming due to the amount of methane gas permeating from their waste pile...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
You know GG you are so full of horse manure, + or - 0.1 of a grain on powder throws, with a Multiscale bar are routine, shot charges are equally accurate,

I suppose you have experience that tells you that you can get + or - 0.05 of a grain with the standard charge bars, as if you have a powder scale that can meassure that fine. Or let me guess, you had a myriad of conversations with Dave Kern at MEC and now you have all the answers.

This is where you and I ain't gonna make it, when you are clueless on a subject SHUT UP!! That way nobody will ever know, that you don't know your a** from first base.

Translation: Quah wack qawwacck #@##%&*)(_@!! YackityQuackkeasdyh #45&*@#$#!!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Donald Duck. Very Happy

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total