16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Who converts short chamber 16 gauge to 2-3/4 inch chamber ?
Hammer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:38 am  Reply with quote

Have a Parker 16 gauge with short chambers.

Would like to convert it to 2-3/4 inch chambers.

Who'd y'all recommend ?

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend lengthening the chambers but would opt for lengthening the forcing cones which requires removal of much less metal at a critical spot in the bores. Mike Orlen in Amherst Massachusetts barrel work is very good, quick and reasonable. He can advise on what he thinks is the best solution after he sees your barrels.
Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:49 pm  Reply with quote

I wouldn't change the chambers either. I started loading the 2.5" hulls and I am starting to use them in my 2.75 guns too. Most of the time, using same loads, just in shorter hull.

There are commercial options out there too. Not much more expensive than the Feds, Rems and Fiocchis.
gjw
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Hi, I agree whole hearted with the above. Too many good loads out there. I use RST's in all my short chambered 16'a (also on my 12's along with B&P's). They work. You really don't need more than 1oz anyway for the uplands. FWIW.

All the best and good luck!!

Greg
Terry Imai
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:28 pm  Reply with quote

A few years ago, I wanted to get the perfect clays gun (12 gauge) that I could also use for steel waterfowl shooting with the idea of being damn good with this gun on clays will translate to being a better waterfowl shot.

The only rub was I was interested in getting a Miroku (which supplies the Browning Citori) model for the European market because of a significant different look and feel that what's available in the United States. My local gunsmith/maker (who worked for Purdey's) explained that the proper procedure is to purchase the gun via a British broker and have someone he recomends to increase the chambers from 2 3/4" to 3" (all of the British Miroku were 2 3/4").

Now the interesting part is for the gun to pass proof needed to have the 3" test loads be used in that newly rechambered gun to ensure it can handle that pressure increase. If the gun passes proof, I have a new shooter...however, if the gun doesn't pass the proof, I'm out the gun and have a very expensive fence post.

Just the thought of buying a gun; paying for the rechambering; and possibly have a situation where things go south made the decision of buying a lumbering 3" Citori 12 gauge as my "go to" clays and duck gun a "no-brainer"...

Sorry to be so long winded on this topic. Must be that flu that started in Mexico and stopped on through Boston is affected the length of a post...
Bronco
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:47 am  Reply with quote

I set my reloader up for 2.5in shells when I bought my first English double. Now use the same loads in the M12's and Husky hammer guns. Nice, low pressure loads that are a pleasure to shoot even in 6lb guns.
Hammer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:06 am  Reply with quote

Using the right selection of components...

Can the same velocities with the same shot charge weights be achieved with the 2-1/2 shell as can be accomplished with the 2-3/4 inch shell ?

For example, can a 1-1/8 ounce load of #7-1/2 shot be driven to suitable velocities to consistently break clay targets on the trap range and be competitive with the 12 gauge shooters ?

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:33 am  Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:

Can the same velocities with the same shot charge weights be achieved with the 2-1/2 shell as can be accomplished with the 2-3/4 inch shell ?

For example, can a 1-1/8 ounce load of #7-1/2 shot be driven to suitable velocities to consistently break clay targets on the trap range and be competitive with the 12 gauge shooters ?

You mean to say, you want to shoot a 1-1/8 oz. load in that 16 gauge Parker?
I don't think you'll get 1-1/8 oz. in a 2-1/2" hull.
Dave, your gun is not a collectors gun, it's a hunting gun.
Send the barrels to Mike Orlen, have him measure them. If he feels it will be safe, have the chambers lengthened along with the forcing cones if that's what you want to do. Personally, all my guns still have the short chambers. The only disadvantage, is my shooting ability. Wink
Regards, Dave
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Hammer wrote:

To answer your question yes but you will have to trim your hulls to 2 9/16th inches (which is the real old time industry standard) and roll crimp your shells. Roll crimped 2 9/16th shells have very close to the same internal volume as a folded crimp 2 3/4 inch shell but like Dave wrote one ounce is pretty much all you need for Upland game and 7/8th ounce works great for clay targets, quail and doves . As far as competing with the "Big Boys" and their 12 gauge guns remember it is the Indian not the Arrow that takes the game.
Hammer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I am not a serious trap shooter. Am using my hunting guns on the trap range because that is the most frequent place I can shoot them and spend time with my family. We make a family outing of it on Sunday afternoons before I fly out on business. My wife and kids all enjoy it. We are not competitive league shooters. Just a family enjoying the afternoon.

The vast majority of the loads I shoot on the trap range are 1 ounce loads in either 12 or 16 gauge. We even use a fair amount of 7/8 ounce loads in a 20 gauge. (Have an older European 20 gauge double which feels like less than five pounds.)

One of my sons is getting a little more serious and is running scores in the 22+ range but has not done 25 straight yet. He certainly would like to. Again, sticking with hunting guns, figure 1-1/8 ounce load might help him get that last clay target for 25. He would like to try the 1-1/8 ounce load in the guns he is already shooting well.

Know it was in a 2-3/4 inch gun and probably not a Parker, but didn't Elmer Keith use a 1-3/8 ounce 16 gauge load ? No, am not considering it for trap.

woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:57 am  Reply with quote

You may want to get more information from a gunsmith regarding your 'short' chambers. There appears to be an educated and ballistically qualified contingent that believes no modifications are necessary to shoot 2 3/4 loads in 2 9/16 chambers.
As a matter of fact, if you are shooting paper hulls, there is a possibility that your patterns will improve with the longer shells.
Not offering an opinion here now, just suggesting that the decision to modify your gun come from someone with creditentials.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:23 am  Reply with quote

Hammer,

If your son wants to go from 22 to 25 on the Trap field.
I suggest he practice more with the 16 gauge and 1 oz. loads.
Or go to the 12 gauge with 1-1/8 oz loads.

I've shot a few 24's at low gun skeet, with my 16 gauges. But I won't open the chambers, or lengthen the cones, with the hopes of hitting 25.
I just need to pay closer attention to what I'm doing. But that isn't any fun, I like to joke around when I'm shooting. Life's to short. Wink
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

I've come close to 25 at the skeet range with my 16's too, but like Dave, I like to joke around a bit. If I were doing this for a living, I'd starve Shocked

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

If your son wants to shoot 25's, don't change the loads, change his shooting coach.