16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington 1100
ken613
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:56 am  Reply with quote

Saw a Remington 1100 16 ga. at a shop I frequent.

It looked to be 85% to 90% with a 26 in. bbl (no rib), plus it has another bbl that comes with it (unsure what this one is).

They've got $499 on it. Is it worth it?

Ken
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Iffy, they are charging right on the limit. Besides handling marks, you need to take the forend off along with the barrel and be sure that it has been taken care of. 1100's will rust up on the magazine tube and the gas chamber. While you are at it, take out the operating handle and release the bolt and carrier and take a look at that assembly. I am not sure what you know about 1100's but the whole operation takes about 1 minute so the shop owner should be willing to do it for you. Look into the receiver where the bolt used to be, while the bolt assembly may occasionally hit the back of the receiver it shouldn't be beat up and peened over if it is walk away from the gun. The only other issue is with the action spring and tube, these guns will also rust up on these components if not taken care of. Not sure they will take the stock off for you, but you can ask.

I have been shooting an 1100 - 16 gauge for 19 years. Just like the 12 gauge models it is easy to shoot well, and if you think that a 12 ga 1100 is easy on recoil, wait until you shoot this gun with 7/8 or 1 oz. loads.
Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:23 am  Reply with quote

A friend of mine just sold an older 16 ga Remington 1100 for $600. I was too late on the deal or I would have bought it. It was nice and felt really good. It did have a vent rib. For some reason, it felt better than the new one I had bought and then sold. Mine was one of the ones they just made a few years ago. It felt like a fence post compared to the older ones.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:53 am  Reply with quote

It could be the barrels. The old fixed choke barrels with or without ribs, were well tapered and fairly light. The newest Remchoke models are untapered 12 gauge tubes with probably the thickest walls on any 16 gauge gun ever made.

But hey, they are cheaper to make that way, so Remington can pass the savings on to us customers--yeah, right!!! Laughing The newest barrels also make a right handy crow bar and wood splitting mallet. That has got to count for something. Very Happy