16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 oz. loads with downrange wad?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:18 am  Reply with quote

I know the downrange wad is designed for 3/4 or 7/8 oz. loads, but would it also work for 1oz. loads in a federal hull where a spacer is normally required? That would be very attractive to me.

I don't really see the purpose of shooting the lighter loads except to increase speed or for dedicated clays shooting, but I would be very interested in them if they could be used for hunting purposes also with 1 oz. loads. If the answer to that is that I should be using them to hunt with 3/4 or 7/8 oz. loads, then why not just hunt with a 28 or 20 ga?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Hi,

Not sure but 1 oz. is going to compress the living daylights out of the DR16 wads. I am not saying that you can't use the wads for 1 ounce but I can think of other wads that will do the job better. Gualandi, B & P, Cheddite and the Remington R16 to name a few.

I was really against loading the 16 ga down, and I am still not sure about the whole idea. I loaded up some of these new wads with 3/4 oz. loads and shot them in my Model 37, holy sh*t, they crushed clay targets at skeet ranges. Now I can't shoot 28 gauge guns to save my life, but those light loads in guns that I am used to shot very well. Give them a try.

It is still gonna be difficult for me to put down my normal 1300 FPS 1 1/8 oz loads of #6's for killing roosters, so I do understand your hesitation.

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Sat May 09, 2009 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:36 am  Reply with quote

Thanks DC, I can certainly understand the value of this as a dedicated clays wad. I would like to get a bag and see how they do.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

I have a feeling that the DR16 wad will be useful for a lot of upland hunting. I always hated using 1 oz. loads for quail, woodcock and grouse. This wad has solved that issue.

I am going to try the lighter 7/8 oz. loads at 1450+ FPS with smaller shot sizes on pen raised pheasants here at home and see what happens. If all goes well I will give them a try on my annual trip out to Nebraska, for the real thing. Mr. Hammack swears by the lighter, faster, smaller shot size loads.
spr310
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've been using some loads that are rated at 1400fps. The only thing I noticed is that if you shoot to soon on a straight away shot when the dog brings the bird back, the entrails are hanging out the rear end. I've been using #7, I'm now loading 7.5 and 8's. These are 7/8oz loads
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

"I was really against loading the 16 ga down, and I am still not sure about the whole idea. I loaded up some of these new wads with 3/4 oz. loads and shot them in my Model 37, holy sh*t, they crushed clay targets at skeet ranges."

DC,
Laughing Not only at skeet ranges do they crush targets! In my new 525 they're dusting birds at 40yds +. Been shooting a 1oz of #7 1/2, Gu1618; 7/8oz of #8 with the GU1621;, and after trading for a bag of the DR16 wads, now a 3/4oz of #8 1/2.
I shoot the faster loads better, and had an excellent day on Wed at a modified 5 stand type clay course with a lot of long birds with the light load.
Still getting a handle on the gun, and the various chokes, Browning's supplied 5 extended Midas grades are all tight for their rating, and I'll be getting another 3 or so from Trulock to open up the patterns. Performance has been excellent, and it'll be interesting tomorrow to see how the HV 3/4oz load does at skeet and closer ranges. Lots of comments from my fellow shooters, I tend to shoot with the same bunch of guys every week, on how I was breaking birds. The 3/4oz is light on recoil, even though it must be pushing Charles's 1400fps. I'll load up some #9's for fun and grins. Finances are tight after my splurge on the 525, and I've got some guns on the market, as soon as one sells I'll be grabbing a case of the DR16's, and getting some loads tested.
Cheers!
R*2
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:11 am  Reply with quote

The wad will load 18 , 21 , 23 , 24 , 26 , and I hate to say it but it will load the 28 gram load , but why ???????

21 and 23 gram loads are the Wonders of the Universe on all things large and small .

Regards Charles
kgb
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't really see the purpose of shooting the lighter loads except to increase speed or for dedicated clays shooting, but I would be very interested in them if they could be used for hunting purposes also with 1 oz. loads. If the answer to that is that I should be using them to hunt with 3/4 or 7/8 oz. loads, then why not just hunt with a 28 or 20 ga?

This is a pretty constant question on light 16ga loads, with probably no single answer or set of answers that applies to everyone. A few reasons why adding a smaller gauge might not work so well:

> Already own a 16, a new gun would add cost.

> Already own a 16 that has personal value...no other gun of any gauge or type could replace it.

> Only one gauge to load for, and the simplification that brings.

> 28ga SxS's are too narrow for a comfortable grip compared to a set of 16ga barrels. So are most 20ga SxS's, so buying one of either gauge just to shoot lighter loadings would mean a level of compromise. This is a reason given for shooting a light 12ga SxS; you have a more comfortable handle for the leading hand especially with a splinter FA.

So why not embrace efforts to develop easily-constructed lighter loads that increase the versatility of our shotgun of choice?

kgb
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

KGB, I hadn't thought of it that way before. Upon further reflection, I agree completely. Why keep adding guns when all one needs to do is change loads? Plus, familiarity breeds consistency as far as shooting with one gun goes. I like it! Very Happy

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Idea The light has come on!
Ash Goodwin
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:35 am  Reply with quote

kgb-

Our resident 16g philosopher, pundit, and all around good spook/joe.

Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well- Diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery Munjor, KS 1902
steve voss
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Kirk, add this one.....

>I cannot shoot a gun that weights under six pounds no matter how much I'd like to. There are lots of cool 16s that weigh 6 to 6.25 lbs out there. What do I need a 28 ga. for? I shoot 3/4 ounce of 7.5s at quail out of a 6 lb. gun all the time. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

sv

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:00 am  Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat now Steve. I've pretty much retired my 28's to an occasional skeet round just to enjoy them occasionally. Lugging two guns of about equal weight to the hunting field is too much like work IMO. A couple of different weight 16 ga loads in my vest does the same thing. the little poppers shoot better out of a 16 too from what I've seen on birds killed with equal shot loads out of both gauges.
kgb
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 am  Reply with quote

Philosopher, Ash, or might it be "conjecturer"? Everyone's got their reasons, and Steve I think a sub-6lb gun might be just fine. That 12ga Dickson (thinking back, someone told me it was a sleeved gun) seemed to weigh under 6lbs, and I've handled a 28ga O/U that must have been under 6lbs, Bob Egbert's. I think I could shoot that one, but it being an O/U probably not too well!! Get the balance right, and why not?

UDF, there weren't any 28ga Lefevers made so that's another reason for a 16ga LAC or DML gun!

kgb
bcpifish
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

No one has mentioned dove hunting, so I'll chime in. I have been loading 7/8 oz. loads with fillers for my dove hunting. The new DRA16 wad will allow me to skip using the fillers.

Given that the national average of shots fired for doves killed is 7.5 shots per dove, it's not hard for a dove hunter to shoot 3+ boxes of shells in taking a limit, in a relatively short period of time. I see absolutely no reason to punish myself shooting heavier loads. I've found the 7/8 oz. loads take doves very well and are a ball to shoot.

If I can figure out a way to make my Lee LoadAll drop 3/4 oz. shot I intend to go to 3/4, higher velocity loads.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne