16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16g DownRange 7/8 Wad
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Jeeze Slide I was looking for a little more definitive and concise answer to what has got to be an easier explanation without getting into forcing cones, hull thickness etc. etc. Something like as volume increases pressure decreases.

Going back a number of year (actually a whole lot of numbers of years) I studied all of the nuances of rotary wing (helicopter) aerodynamics form the application of Bruneili's theory, gyroscopic progression, leading and lagging blade angles and flipping and flapping and a whole bunch of other "stuff" and came to the learned conclusion that the reasons helicopters flew is because of magic. So can we limit the discussion to really elementary "stuff".

Oh and SPR have you heard of the term "hypothetical".
spr310
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Jeeze Slide I was looking for a little more definitive and concise answer to what has got to be an easier explanation without getting into forcing cones, hull thickness etc. etc. Something like as volume increases pressure decreases.

Going back a number of year (actually a whole lot of numbers of years) I studied all of the nuances of rotary wing (helicopter) aerodynamics form the application of Bruneili's theory, gyroscopic progression, leading and lagging blade angles and flipping and flapping and a whole bunch of other "stuff" and came to the learned conclusion that the reasons helicopters flew is because of magic. So can we limit the discussion to really elementary "stuff".

Oh and SPR have you heard of the term "hypothetical".

Just trying to put a little humor in here with the Unique reference.
By the way, on helicopters. I even got to go up to Sikorsky and learn all about helicopters. I never couls figure out why they fly either. I did find out a couple of times that the magic don't work. CH3C, later referred to as the Jolly Green Giant.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Back in 1982, I was assigned the job of installing a 5 meter satellite dish on top of a hotel in downtown St. Louis, MO. The building was too tall for a crane. We hired a helicopter to lift the assembled dish up into position to be bolted to the support frame instead. Dispite my objections, the pilot insisted we strap the dish to his winch in a horizontal position to "avoid turbulance." Think of the dish as a drag chute deployed directly under the main rotor. The result was that particular helicopter did not fly very well once it hit the end of the cable. It kinda reminded me of a very big U-control model airplane. Boy was that pilot a surprized cowboy. I wonder if he had to go change his shorts after we unhooked him. Cool
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
and came to the learned conclusion that the reasons helicopters flew is because of magic.

Naw TB, You learned how helicopters flew alright. The easy answer was "magic"!

Sorry..... My w h o l e dissertation was not aimed at only you. Your one liner probably explains it enough for most...
More gas than you can get rid of at the moment might help others!

Actually 16GG threw me a curve. I expected one of his discourses and he went simple on me!

Like helicopers, a lot can be said on "pressure" if one wants the discussion.

Slidehammer
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Back in 1982, I was assigned the job of installing a 5 meter satellite dish on top of a hotel in downtown St. Louis, MO. The building was too tall for a crane. We hired a helicopter to lift the assembled dish up into position to be bolted to the support frame instead. Dispite my objections, the pilot insisted we strap the dish to his winch in a horizontal position to "avoid turbulance." Think of the dish as a drag chute deployed directly under the main rotor. The result was that particular helicopter did not fly very well once it hit the end of the cable. It kinda reminded me of a very big U-control model airplane. Boy was that pilot a surprized cowboy. I wonder if he had to go change his shorts after we unhooked him. Cool

Actually guy that satellite dish weighed the same weather it was oriented horizontally or vertically and at the speed and rate of climb he should have been traveling at there would have been no affect on the flight characteristics of the aircraft. Quite the opposite would probably have occurred if his forward speed would have been too fast as the dish would have created it's own lift and started to fly on it's own, kind of like a big Frisbee. That's why heavy lift helicopter pilots hated to recover damaged fixed wing aircraft, because at any forward speed above stall speed the damn airplanes tried to fly themselves and the last thing you want is to have a broke dick airplane tethered to your underside doing acrobatic tricks.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Well TB, actually...no. I guess you have not grasped the gist of my little story. Stay with me now. I promise to type slower for you.

The satellite dish I'm referring to was 5 meters by 8 meters and was a quasi-spherical unit shaped kinda like a big oblong shaped salad bowl...dish side up on it's back. The support lines were attached at each corner and the chopper was tethered to the whole mess directly above it. The prop wash was blowing directly down into this big, oversized salad bowl. Got the picture. Pressure. Air pressure. Downward air pressure. It's still about pressure. The poor helicolopter just could not cope with the resistance to its own prop wash. We reslung the dish from the two top corners and she went right up like old Jack in the bean stalk...after the pilot went and changed his skivvies. Wink

However, I find the image of some poor chopper pilot trying to cope with what amounts to an out of control giant bunged up u-control model wired to his ass amusing as all hell. The things we humans do to each other just makes me scratch my head sometimes.

Well, anyway, I think we've managed to highjack another otherwise useful thread. I'm gone. See you all in the next one. Very Happy

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Fri May 22, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

Slide,

You hit the nail on the head, and explained it better than I did.

Every shotshell load has its own set of dynamics. You can't take any one variable and make blanket statements. Whether it be a certain hull or primer or wad or powder you can not predict what they are going to do all the time and be right.

The only thing that is constant with shotshell ballistics is that there are no constants.

Now pissing around with these little light loads seems to be easy and in general it is. Start using some heavier payloads and things start flipping around. You dont always get what you want, and blanket statements and ideas will get you a very large bill for labor without many loads to show for it.
top_cat
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

A real interesting topic here - as usual - all over the place.

I would like to point out my post was about an easier way to measure case volume than using water, as 16GG was saying. In no way was the post asserting that similar volumes yield similar results - something that DC37 failed to note.

So, I suppose now I will be the target of one of the flame wars that perpetually clutter up this site.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 5:13 pm  Reply with quote

Nah Topcat,

You aren't a condesending know-it all, that constantly insinuates that others aren't very smart or have common sense. That's the kind of thing that starts the flame throwing.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Twice Barrel on Fri May 22, 2009 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
gunsrus
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:42 pm  Reply with quote

Could this be another pissing match brewing ? And what's this about ....... Helicopters . And who's involved ..... Let's see , the expert with a background and ............ Will it ever stop ?
mtjim
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:25 am  Reply with quote

Anybody have testing results back and willing to share?
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:00 am  Reply with quote

gunsrus wrote:
Could this be another pissing match brewing ? And what's this about ....... Helicopters . And who's involved ..... Let's see , the expert with a background and ............ Will it ever stop ?

Will it ever stop??

"Quoth the raven, Nevermore..."

Once this stuff starts on a site, it becomes a cancer that spreads...
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:52 am  Reply with quote

mtjim

I have 2 loads out for testing now and 4 more to go once I find out where I am with the first 2.

I will make the data sheets available to everyone.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:11 am  Reply with quote

mtjim,

I have 3 loads for the DR16 at testing right now as well. I plan on posting my results here and in the LPG whenever I get them back.