16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  kansas 2006 day 3 - end of trip
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I got up Monday morning to find different conditions from the previous 2 days (warm and hot if you read my other Kansas 2006 posts). It was much cooler and WINDY - more like the weather I was expecting.

Stuart Young friend/guide/owner had to work so I was hunting with Clint (appentice guide and friend) and 2 dogs - Maggie, shorthair pointer and Chance, pointing lab.

I only had 1/2 half day to hunt and had planned to hunt roosters until noon and then drive back to Illinois. Clint picked me up with dogs and as we drove south out of Russell indicated to me that we would hunt another new area. At this location the landowner would not allow quail shooting, but all pheasants were "help yourself". Fine by me, I was planning to hunt only pheasants anyway.

Well you guessed it - Clint and I had been out of the truck about 30 minutes and Maggie and Chance went on point. We released Chance and WOW what a pretty Kansas covey rise Very Happy . About 15 quail in the morning sun (sun behind us and on the birds) right in front of us - the kind you see in the Terri Redland paintings. Fantastic dog work. Three birds passed right in front of me - 15 yards out and 2 were cocks. One of those moments when you could actually pick your shot. Oh well, next time.

Not long after that the dogs chased a rooster out of the grass and into the gravel road where he flushed and started back quartering against the wind in front of us. I hit him with the first load of 6s (about 30 yards) and he started to sail with the wind and I dropped him with the 5s in the second Citori grade III barrel. Chance had tracked this bird about 100 yards in a wind that started about 20 mph and was now about 30 mph (9 am).

Not long after that both dogs got birdy again and we had three points in quick succession - all hens. Went about 30 yards further and Chance locked up in front of me - another rooster, finished off by a load of 6s from my grade III.

We hunted to the end of the field (another 1/2 mile of grass) coming to a ditch between the grass area (crp) and the milo and another rooster got up right in front of Clint (rooster was trying to sneak away from dogs) and he hit it with his 28 gauge and it sailed in front of me and I dropped it cleanly with the citori.

By this time the wind was about 40 miles per hour and it was getting darker by the minute. I suggested to Clint we turn around and work the field back to the truck to evaluate our next options. While doing so the dogs pointed another couple of hens, but no roosters. Once we got to the truck it had started to snow (flurries) and was really dark in the west. I looked at my watch and ended the hunt (about 10 am - we had already hunted about 2 hours and I had already had a FANTASTIC weekend - easy decision). We drove back to Stuart's house and I picked up frozen birds (packaged in vaccum packaging from the weekend), helped put away dogs, and changed and hit the road about 11 am. I had smooth sailing to Truxton MO - got there about 6 pm. Unfortunately there was a three truck accident (big rigs) on I70 east/west just west of Warrenton and it took me 2.5 hours to go the final 50 miles to the house from there.

Other than the delay I had a FANTASTIC trip. I am looking forward to next December and January in Russell again (I've already booked dates Wink and motel rooms Wink ).

Dr. 16 Gauge
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Glad your visit to our fine state went well, Doc. I'll be about 70 miles west, as the crow flies, from where you were this weekend for what will probably be my last hunt of the season. By all reports the weather will be a bit cooler (but it's Kansas, so who knows?), and my brothers-in-law claim they've saved me a few birds; we'll see! Any way, at least one 16ga will be afield in Kansas this weekend! Very Happy Best to ya...

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:59 am  Reply with quote

Hey Fin-where's your home base when you're not chasing roosters?
Dr 16g.-Need some other 16er's along to defend you from the flocks of Ks pheasants next yr?
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

Rev,

Grew up out northwest of Hays (Palco) and my wife's from Hill City; that's where I'm headed this weekend. Live in Andover (east of Wichita) now.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Fin. Spend any time fondling guns at Michael Murphy's?-he's got some nice LC's on his website. I won't tell your wife you went!
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

I get over to Mike's occasionally; never bought anything from him, though. Neat place.

bustingclays
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather:

Between 2000 and 2003 I drove over and stayed in Stockton and hunted the walk-in areas around Stockton and in other (probably our best spots) walk-ins north of Hill City. Sometimes we did exceptionally well - close to limits and other times pretty poorly - maybe 1 bird apiece for a couple of days of hunting. I always liked driving into Hill City and seeing the Hill City Ringnecks sign Very Happy

I have had such fun at Last Chance Wings and Labs in Russell that I probably will go back there from now on unless another opportunity arises Wink

Good luck on your hunt....

Dr. 16 Gauge
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:58 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays---I run the local club at Paris --if you need practice or just driving thru let me know--I have keys we can shoot anytime--trap/skeet-email me ahead of time Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Wink Wink Any other Illinois shooters are also welcome Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool --Kentucky shooters also welcomed-Indiana shooters are judged---HA--HAgive me a holler Laughing Laughing Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Dr 16: Kansas does have some great walk-in property. Found some this season around Meade on 54.
HOA: Don't you let Kansans shoot at your place?!?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

YEAH I Guess,-HA-If your find yourself headed thru Illinois shoot me a email and we will get together .Club is open to all.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:08 am  Reply with quote

HOA-so it's OK for us Kansans to refer to your state as 'Ill-an-oyzzz'? (We also call that state way out in the ocean 'Ha-wy-ya")
How far are you from the new Grand location in Sparta and what do you think about the facilities being built?
Sorta on topic: Think I read somewhere that one of the winners at the Grand was a farm boy in overalls who just happened by and won it all with a 16g. Model 12? Anybody can confirm this? If so, us 16ers need a pic or something to show are trap shooting buddies making fun of us!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

rev-yeah,I reckon/heck we say I-oway and Mizzoura.But remember there is no noise in Illinois execpt when the Illinois boys make noise Twisted Evil
Sparta is about 2 1/2 hours s/w of here.
As far as the farm boy winning I'm not surprised,we have a big advantage over the city boys Wink Wink Wink
The club is open to ALL members of this forum---we have set hours and days but they really don't matter.If in the Paris,Il give me a holler--we will shoot Exclamation