16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  OT - Getting guns past your wife
16crazy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

There was some mention of getting guns past your wife on the for sale forum. Thought I would post two tips here for help or a good laugh.

Tip 1 - Take the gun apart before you get home and sneak it in a piece at a time. Then you didn't buy a new gun just a few odd parts. She sure can't argue if you only have a barrel or stock in hand.

Tip 2 - Come clean with these 3 simply lines.
1. Early on the the relationship just show her the guns. Then sigh and say "Someday, honey I will sell all these and buy something really nice for both of us!"

2. Later after kids, comment that " Someday these guns will put the kids through college!"

3. After the kids are gone, point out, " Honey, when I die these guns are a goldmine for you!"

Good Luck
16 crazy
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

4. Get rid of the wife and buy more guns................ Mr. Green
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

Find a woman who can't count Twisted Evil
OldM12-16gaMan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Way ahead of you waterfowler.She gone more guns took her place Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy In fact I bought a M12 16ga tow barrel set mon born 1913 1 barrel full the other cyl. It's her birthday today think birthday card and thank her

Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:19 am  Reply with quote

Better yet -

Was desperately trying to decide between 2 16 ga FAIRs on Cabelas site, the 400 and the 400 Gold. Identical except for the darker receiver and gold birds on the Gold model.

The Madame walked in while I was viewing them both on the computer. I explained my dilema. Her reply was,

"Why don't you get both?".

I'm still not sure what her angle is. But why look a gift wife in the mouth.

Pete
OldM12-16gaMan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Good job Pete . Looks like you got a keeper

texasbilly
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be better to be honest with your wife? Ask her for her blessing and understanding as you buy another gun. In fact, wouldn't it be great to have her help you pick out that gun that is just right for you, and even better, to have her pay for it? Think of the love shared when you and the wife make decisions together which result in you getting the gun, and her being part of your shooting life. If you believe this, then you are probably single (or should be).

Do what I do - sneak the gun in the front door while she is out back mowing the grass.

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:39 pm  Reply with quote

Foursquare wrote:
Better yet -

Was desperately trying to decide between 2 16 ga FAIRs on Cabelas site, the 400 and the 400 Gold. Identical except for the darker receiver and gold birds on the Gold model.

The Madame walked in while I was viewing them both on the computer. I explained my dilema. Her reply was,

"Why don't you get both?".

I'm still not sure what her angle is. But why look a gift wife in the mouth.

Pete

Now that's is a good woman, smart too ......very smart...I like it.. Exclamation
IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

I'll have to admit, I've snuck a couple in when the wife was out. A while back a friend was over looking at a new purchase (the wife gets home from work later than I), thinking we had an hour or so before she got home from work, we were in the living room looking the double over (16 gauge by the way) and the door flys open and in walks the wife. The first question out of her mouth is "what's up." Without missing a beat, I tell her that my friend just bought a new shotgun and was showing it to me. At that point the conversation is over and my friend walks out the door with the shotgun. I picked it up from him the next day. She was none the wiser.
CH
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

The Gene Hill method was to buy the gun and drop it off at a friend's house along with one of his old guncases. After a week , the friend delivers the gun to his house and when he hands it to the wife says "tell Gene thanks a lot for loaning me a gun for my trip" Mission accomplished.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

This covers everything....guns included! Make sure you hook up with a woman who loves horses, and let her own one. Once that is established, you are free to invest in all of your hobbies. Trust me, one or two guns a year still won't match the big horsehide covered bag of oats that she throws money into, and it will justify all your expenses. She'll let you buy guns out of guilt.

Added bonus: Christmas and B-Days, horse women love anything from tack shops or equestrian web stores......one-stop shopping. It's worked for me for 16 years! Yippeekyaaaaaaa........... Wink
DougK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

The best way I found was to get my wife engaged in the purchase. She like to shot and hunt. So it is a matter of engaging her in the purchase. This causes less long term problems. Wink
Doug
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Birdswatter"]This covers everything....guns included! Make sure you hook up with a woman who loves horses, and let her own one. Once that is established, you are free to invest in all of your hobbies. Trust me, one or two guns a year still quote]

Bought mine a new truck and trailer last year for her horses. I'm good to go forever. Now which new Merkel do I want? LOL

Tom

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

1620 EL brother..........
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:09 am  Reply with quote

Patrick McManus has nothing on you guys. I'm choking from laughing. However, if you've never read any of his stuff, do yourself a favor. At worst, his stories are amusing; at best, don't plan on getting out of the chair for a while, because he will convulse you with laughter.