16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  OT - Getting guns past your wife
mod11rem
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

I ended up with 4 16's new to me right before Christmas. They were such a good deal I couldn't pass them up. So I sold one immediately to my brother in law and claimed that I could sell two more on this board in just a few minutes, with the result of getting the one I want to keep for nothing. Good economic progress like this quelled any problems. Her witnessing me actually sell a gun (a new thing) was sufficient evidence that I was serious. Since she can't count well, doesn't really know what I have anyway and can' tell one from another, I've still got the other three. But I may really sell them eventually.

Plus, I paid two grand to replace five windows in the house so that they now all match right after Christmas, furthering the notion that money was no problem and anything I might have spent on guns was insignificant compared to the vast improvement in home and hearth. Wink

I simply didn't tell her about the new MEC grabber. I set it up right next to my Lee single stage press for pistols and rifles. The both have handles and she can't really tell that anything new is going on. If it ever comes up, economics will win out again as I have (with her blessing) joined a local shooting club and I am simply forced to reload to save money as my recent shooting has evolved into a weekly thing. Of course the grabber is for 16's and I have to hand load to get the right loads so I can maintain my prowess on the shooting line and in the field. Also, my son has graduated from a 20 to a 16 putting further pressure on the ammo pile. Of course, anything for the kids!! Very Happy

My real problem now is that both of my gun cabinets are completely full and overflowing. A new gun safe is big, expensive, and a constant reminder standing next to the other two. What now? I think for now, I'll just relegate some of the older sentimental pieces that we never shoot to the back of a closet

She simply doesn't understand that shot guns are like screw drivers: they all have their special uses and you can't have too many. What is so hard about this concept?? A line I used once was something like "well at least I didn't come home riding a $15,000 Harley". The response had something to do with "divorce papers are just as easy to sign as a death certificate". I didn't press it that time. Got to go, my grabber is calling. mod11rem

TJC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter wrote:
1620 EL brother..........

BS,
That is a possibility. Might just settle for a 1620 or another 47E. Can't really go wrong with either of them. Wink

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

Pat M would be proud of you guys. Wonderful creativity! Such evasiveness and subtrifuge! What colossal nerve!! you are all to be commended for facing matrimonial hell and brimstone in the domestic battle for more shotguns.

I was a chicken shit and left her in Virginia with her dumbassed relatives and a hangover. I prefer my dog and a good doublegun anytime. Besides, I'm getting to the age where a good BM is just as important as sex... well almost anyway. Pass the prune juice please. 16GG.
IDcut
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I've been testing the water over the past month or two concerning both a new shotgun and a sufficiently large gun safe. I'm shooting the winter league at trap and came home the other day complaining about the scores I've been shooting, and of course mentioned offhand that what I really need to improve my scores was a gun specifically designed for shooting trap. Of course she has no idea what a "specifically designed trap shotgun" is leaving open the possibility that after I complain long and hard enough she'll relent and give me the go ahead to purchase whatever magical wand I want. Of course her ok is wishful thinking on my part. I guess I'll have to continue to sneak the "specifically designed trap shotgun" in when she's not around.

Oh yea-i figured logic would be the answer on the gunsafe question-"after all it's pure folly not to have a safe with all the criminals running around waiting for the opportunity to make off with a valuble gun collection. Not only that, but it would double as a safe storage place for jewelry, valuble documents, etc." I don't think I could sneak the safe past her.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I don't have a horse woman, nor one with expensive hobbies.

I do, however, have an exceptional wife who encourages my hobbies! Almost every time I bid on a gun or look at one somewhere and then say I will go back and either don't win the auction because I didn't bid high enough nor go back I hear - "you should have bid more or gone back - you wanted it didn't you?"

Gun safe no problem, she helped pick the size and color (more space then than needed, but filled up now) - even discussing another one.

5 grabbers (one in each gauge) - got those too...

On the other hand - will be storing about 15 guns for a buddy when his house is off foundation next month. Extra guns means one more might be slipped in with no discovery (and stay too Wink ). Well maybe not - the boss punches wine corks off the target stand at 25 feet with her S&W 38 - hmmmmmm..............

Dr. 16 Gauge
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Birdswatter wrote:
This covers everything....guns included! Make sure you hook up with a woman who loves horses, and let her own one. Once that is established, you are free to invest in all of your hobbies. Trust me, one or two guns a year still won't match the big horsehide covered bag of oats that she throws money into, and it will justify all your expenses. She'll let you buy guns out of guilt.

Added bonus: Christmas and B-Days, horse women love anything from tack shops or equestrian web stores......one-stop shopping. It's worked for me for 16 years! Yippeekyaaaaaaa........... Wink

UUUUUUh yeah till you come home from work one day and find out the one horse you encouraged her to get has turned into 14 grain and hay munching 4 legged portable bank accounts. The you realize that she is spending more than you are making on feed, tack and horse care.
Been there done that.............now I have a woman who encorages me to go hunt and fish, and thinks me buying her diamonds once or twice a year is the greatest.....the sparklers are much cheaper than the hayburners... Mr. Green
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:46 am  Reply with quote

Well, you must set limits....one horse at a time, and her money pays for her horse.......any true horse woman will take a saddle over diamonds any time! Of course it helps to have a woman who also understands the gun/hunting genetic predisposition and supports it. Actually, my wife read this post and laughed her ass off!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:17 am  Reply with quote

Just count your blessings that it ain't a diamond studded saddle with matching tack.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Just count your blessings that it ain't a diamond studded saddle with matching tack.

Well I think they omit the diamonds for some of them, she bought an Orthoflex saddle for one of the horses supposedly custom fit and all that. First thing I ask her was don't ya think five saddles is enough for one person? Wellll I guess it wasn't...I had a slight coronary and didn't speak to her for a week when I got the bill for the saddle....... $1800 and some change.
I hope her new husband can keep her in that kind of stuff. It just seems to me that you can get more use out of a shotgun than you can a saddle... Wink
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

I keep telling my wife they are only good for glue and dog food. She doesn't share my views. Especially since she works for an equine vet clinic. Smile

All in all mine isn't bad. If I want a new gun, she says get it. Treat her right the other times and there is no problem getting what ever. It's a good thing too, I'm getting too old to start breaking in a new one. Laughing

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

You know how that story would go...........

"The other day my wife told me if I bought one more shotgun she was going to leave me. Sure will miss the old gal!"
mod11rem
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

I told mine the other day that if I ever got a Citori Gran lightening 16 ga that I'd never buy another 16 shotgun. This of course leaves me plenty of room as I still don't have a Citori so everything is still fair game. and If I ever do get luck enough to get one, I only promised not to buy another 16. Also, the word "buy" excludes trade and barter. The game is never over til the last dog yips. mod11rem

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Birdswatter wrote:
You know how that story would go...........

"The other day my wife told me if I bought one more shotgun she was going to leave me. Sure will miss the old gal!"

Exactly Exclamation Very Happy

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:10 am  Reply with quote

Yup. Years ago. when I left mine in Va., it was on a bright Monday morning in early October. I'd packed all my kit the day before onto my 'cycle and had run my extra stuff over to my family's place for storage, to say goodbye, and bunk over for the night. This was while she was out with her girlfriends on Sunday afternoon getting plastered like she usually did. I left her a note saying I was going fishing and to not bother with supper 'cause I'd probably be late, not that she did that much anyway. I was a much better cook, and she was usually too shnokered to bother eating before crashing anyway.

When I hit the Florida Keys, I nearly cried all the way to the first good bonefish flat at Long Key State Park and eased my grief by hooking a couple or three "flats Ferraris" on a new graphite 8 wt. salt water set up I bought on the way down to console myself. I then built a nice little camp fire, grilled some fresh lobster tails and Mahi-Mahi steaks I got from a local for a handful of home tied bent back streamer flies, and drowned my sorrow with a couple of Dos Equis darks. I was close to lonely as hell as I bedded down with the big boobed, green-eyed redhead from NC I'd been partying with since Savannah. I was never so sad in my life and almost cried myself to sleep...almost. Wink

PS: I never tried the marraige thing again. It just doesn't work for some folks. I'm one of them. I'm too independent, too much the gypsy and yonderer. Know thyself and act accordingly.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

TJC: re: horse hoof paste- as a grade schooler in the '50s, I recall that the paste tasted pretty good.My Wirehairs are too smart to eat ground horsemeat, they don't want to dumb down! Laughing