16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  And the results are in !!!!! DR16 load testing results.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Spike McQuail wrote:
I have to assume Mr Miles was frightened by a goose Shocked when he was a child.

I was, several of them chased me down. Biting me in the legs and rear end along the way. I think I was about 7 or 8 at the time. Laughing
I've also been attacked by a mad mother muskrat, when I tried to steal her young. And had my thumb chewed on by a rabid squirel. All this by the age of 10. Wink
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Campbell's post should be pinned to the top, and should be required reading for everyone... Even for those that think they know it all already!
If you can't understand that explanation, you just ain't listenin'...

Very impressive!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

Mike has a pretty fair handle on things here based on my own experience. A fast stepping, properly expanding modern bullet in the right spot will dump a deer sized game animal faster than any other projectile I have hit them with. If I have to resort to a round ball or any pure lead sphereoid at under 2500FPS, I want the biggest one I can handle for the job. A .50 cal round ball at 1950 FPS or under is marginal past 65 yards in my experience. .54 is better, and .58 or bigger is way better. a 12 ga foster slug is very reliable, but it still will not match a modern 130 gr .270 or 7MM game bullet.

The bigger the game animal, the more thump is needed to put them down. Also, game animals differ in how they tolerate ballistic energy. shoot an elk through the heart and lungs with a .270 and watch what happens. Do the same thing with a .338 or a .375 and then watch. Then go up against a big bear with the same loads. some animals are simply tougher to kill, period.

It takes a much heavier thump to cleanly kill a pheasant than it does most small furbearing game. Birds' nervous systems are different. Birds' systems can handle shock better by far. Anyone who has beheaded chickens for the table can attest to this. They never seem to die quick or easy.

One or two more points here. The average hobbiest's chronograph is fine for use with a single projectile. Measuring the velocity of a shot swarm is another matter. It's a guesstimate at best. Nick Hammock has the right idea about hunting load testing. Go shoot a few dozen pheasant or more with your pet load. Then tell us how it did overall. Pheasants don't read the energy tables. They would care less if they could IMO based on my own experience. Wink
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

YAWN
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Miles wrote:
Spike McQuail wrote:
I have to assume Mr Miles was frightened by a goose Shocked when he was a child.

I was, several of them chased me down. Biting me in the legs and rear end along the way. I think I was about 7 or 8 at the time. Laughing
I've also been attacked by a mad mother muskrat, when I tried to steal her young. And had my thumb chewed on by a rabid squirel. All this by the age of 10. Wink

I was half asleep in my car waiting for someone when a nasty and quite large rooster launched a full out attack on my head. just about broke the window crank off rolling up the window and I don't know if my heart could take all that at this age.

Sad end to the story. My buddy told me years later that his uncle had somehow broke his back in the field (got runover by his tractor) and he pulled his way back to the farm yard on his stomach, and that same rotten, mean rooster attacked him the whole way. True story. Last day on earth for the rooster, but his uncle did recover very well.

Bird loads. Shoot a deer with a 35 Wheelen and report back.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

What happened to the quote feature? Is it just me, or are these threads getting out of whack? My computer's old, so maybe it's on my end only.
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Just another probably useless comment but, like Mike Campbell, I have for decades now used one load for all the feathered game I pursue, changing shot size only. I must admit to using a slightly wider range of sizes than Mike recommends but nothing larger than 5's.
The availability of Hammack's wad is the only thing that has encouraged me to 'experiment' with payloads varying from one ounce in a very long time.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Hello All
Over on Double Gun it was reported that

""The latest issue of Skeet Shooting Review has roughly 25 new loads listed for the new Down Range 7/8 oz 16 bore wad. bill ""

http://www.mynssa.com/ssr/ssr200906/Ceretto.pdf

Thanks
Mike
mtjim
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Hello All
Over on Double Gun it was reported that

""The latest issue of Skeet Shooting Review has roughly 25 new loads listed for the new Down Range 7/8 oz 16 bore wad. bill ""

http://www.mynssa.com/ssr/ssr200906/Ceretto.pdf

Thanks
Mike

Probably the 29 loads Downrange came out with about a month ago.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Nothing there that gets me excited.
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

Glad to see people tinkering with the wad. Unfortuneately, I use niether Remington or Winchester hulls for reloading. Second, not one of those loads were at or above 1300fps.

Hopefully more data is forthcoming!!

I use cheddites and fiocchi hulls. The most available, and beat the Rems all to heck.

I recv'd my wads, but have yet to load any. Been busy. Maybe this weekend. If I get time, I will dream up some loads I want tested.

I will probably be looking at using Cheddite/Fiocchi hulls, 7/8oz, and Longshot powder. Looking for minimum of 1300fps.
Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:51 am  Reply with quote

This ios probably a stupid question but where can I get these wads?

Will Hasting take an order over the phone?

Again sorry for the stupidity.Regards, Gordon

HIGH$TRAP
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:08 pm  Reply with quote

Gordon,
http://www.downrangemfg.com/products/list/11/
bird dog
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:07 am  Reply with quote

Gordon, 16ga wads.

http://www.precisionreloading.com/

Mike