16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Value of a Winchester 16 ga. Model 97
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

I love Winchesters but don't know as much about Model 97's as I should. I'm meeting an individual this weekend who is bringing two Winchesters to our gun club: a "clean, original" Model 42 .410, 28" mod. choke, and a 16 ga. full choke Model 97. I'm guessing both guns will be (by his description) between 85 and 95% condition. I haven't seen either, but other peoples' 98% tend to be my 90% when it comes to describing condition accurately. I'll need to look the '97 over, but assuming there are no cracks in the stock, the wood matches, the gun is original and in about 90% condition, does anyone have an idea what the Model 97 would be worth, approximately?

offhand35
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Well for what it's worth, the Blue Book lists: 100% $850; 98%-$725; 95%,$575; 90%,$500;80%, $450, "Add 25% for 16ga"

The Blue Book has section in the back to help date Winchesters, including the 1897, by s/n.

It states that "early" ones are chambered for 2 9/16" [65mm] shells. It does not say when 2 3/4" chambers were produced.
If it should turn out to be a Trap or Pigeon grade, the value can be $1-8K
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:18 am  Reply with quote

My experience with the Blue Book is it can be used only as a very rough guide. The Blue Book will list prices that simply can't be realized on some items and others will be way too low. As an example the Blue Book would lead a person to believe that some nice prices can be had for Japanese A5's. Locally, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would pay Blue Book for one of these guns. Everyone wants the Belgium guns. Of course one can advertise via the internet, etc but I have watched a number of the internet sites and you will often find that the same gun is listed for a very long time.

I personally have paid more than BB on a couple of occasions. Why? I don't like to buy guns off the net (tho I have done so) and the guns I bought were ones I coveted and which were rarely seen offered for sale at the local gunshops I frequent. In short, they were worth more than BB to me. On the other hand there are a large number of guns out there that I would never give BB prices for! Use the BB as a guide only and make up your mind what a gun is worth to you.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:51 am  Reply with quote

I've found that a number of these gun value tomes tend to reflect the editors' opinions and predjudices more that they should. I can remember when a hand engraved Miroku C Daly O/U was listed at $500 tops at 100%. This was less than ten years ago when the Superior Grade small bores were already bringing 1K or more.Now, a clean 28 or .410 will bring well over that. Japanese guns have lost the post WWII stigma they once had. A clean Miroku L-5 Sweet Sixteen with choke tubes will now bring well above what an average Belgian one will bring in many places. Most folks have come to realize that the quality of the former at least equals that of the post war Belgian version. The versatility the tubes provide also add considerable value. Time is the great equalizer when it comes to predjudices vs reality.
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

All that is why I opened with "...for what it's worth......"
Looking in the Jan 27 Gun List, there are 5 model 1897 's listed.
Prices range from $2250 for a 12ga Black Diamond Trap to $695 for a 1903 mfr'd trap model.
There is a 16ga Full, 85-90% listed for $750
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.....my "seller" phoned me today and will not be able to make it this weekend....I asked for specifics on condition for the model 42 and finally he admitted that, in his opinion, the gun is in about 70% condition. The only gun I own that even approaches that level of condition is my Grand Dad's .22 Winchester bolt Model 69---and I put most of the wear on that over the last 45 years. Frankly don't know if I'm even interested at 70%, because in collecting, condition is everything.......he is going to inspect the 16 ga. Model 97 and call me. He does swear that both guns are original though.....