16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  ATTN:! Roll crimpers! Lyman crimping heads!
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Just go to an office supply store, buy some round labels, and print your own design on them using a simple page layout program like MS Publisher or something similar. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

I also thought it would be fun to design your own inked stamp by using the blank ones you find at art supply stores and then carving your own design out of it.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
robt. harris
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Hi Tony, et. al

I'll defer to Slidehammer for most of this explanation, as he came up with them up initially......and because I'm not too artsy on the computer. But I believe he designed the topwad in a graphics program, sized it to the gauge, and then did a 'cut and paste' manuever to fill a normal 8-1/2" X 11" page with many of them. If I recall, I ended up with 140 or so of them per sheet. I saved his work as a file. Then, you just pick a stout card stock of a color you like, maybe .010" to .015" and print them up by the sheet. Be sure to use a laser printer, as they are color-fast, and won't run when either wetted or top-coated.

I usually place the thinner cut-out logo atop an .025 over shot card and crimp it in. You can actually make your logo water-proof by spraying the whole sheet (prior to cutting them out) with a spray fixative (office supply store) or with a thin coat of satin varathane. Last batch I did, I forgot to do this prior to cutting, and simply swabbed the logo card within the finished shell with shellac on a Q-tip. That's what you are seeing on the 12 ga. paper Federal load on the left in my initial post here. Makes a great vintage load for waterfowling done this way with a water-tight hull-to-topwad seal much like the old waterglass.

Slidehammer is a generous sort, and I'm sure he'll give you what I've left out re: the computer end of it. They are fun to do, not that time-consuming, and even more fun to shoot up at our vintage events......and the credit is really all his.

Rob
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:58 am  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
can you please tell me how you printed or made your artful over shot wads. I'd like to get better at that. Did you do that on a regular laser or ink-jet printer? Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. Your pictures earlier in this thread showed some mighty handsome shells.

Kindest Regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

I guess I have almost as much fun "designing" a topwad cover sheet as using then!

I call them cover sheets as all I have used as of late are sans structual enhancement. I use plan copy paper 20# (.004" thick) mostly and sometimes colored paper of the same weight and thickness. These are placed over whatever "normal" topwad is used.

I work in Microsoft Paint 5.1... So nothing hi-tech in me or the process with computers for sure!

I size a template first. I will have a circumference ring marked size specific. As we are into 16 bore here that ring is 11/16" O.D. at the final print.

If writing only is desired, then insert this inside your "ringed" template. Here's some shells that went to our annual "Classic" shoot in Montana only a few weeks back.... Name of shoot and year was advertised in every shell shot.

Finished topwad cover sheet templates are transfered to an 8.5" x 11" sheet. I use Microsoft Word for this. A sheet now has about 150 topwad cover sheets. I punch these out with a 16ga wadcutter. LYMAN USED TO OFFER THESE AS WELL! Here's an image of the upper corner of the printed 8 1/2" x 11" sheet. Salmon color paper was used in this case.

If a picture is wanted on your wad things get tougher. Find a sharp small image (smaller the better) of what you want. I hunt for thumb nail photos. Cut and resize image to fit your wad ring template. Add printing last if you desire it.

Many of my graphic cover sheets are pigeons... I hunt feral pigeons with an old friend in Billings whenever I can. It seems he likes a new 16 gauge design every trip! So I give it to him!

Here's a template without load data yet. Colors and graphics are done and these will print on plain copy paper for the main sheet.

Lots of fun during a snowy winter!

Thanks for your kind words Rob...

Slidehammer
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Sign me up for a Lyman roll crimper in each of the following gauges: 28, 20, and 16.
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Maybe some "plea" bargaining will work!!

Slidehammer

Black&Tan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Slidehammer wrote:
shootingsioux wrote:
can you please tell me how you printed or made your artful over shot wads. I'd like to get better at that. Did you do that on a regular laser or ink-jet printer? Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. Your pictures earlier in this thread showed some mighty handsome shells.

Kindest Regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

I guess I have almost as much fun "designing" a topwad cover sheet as using then!

I call them cover sheets as all I have used as of late are sans structual enhancement. I use plan copy paper 20# (.004" thick) mostly and sometimes colored paper of the same weight and thickness. These are placed over whatever "normal" topwad is used.

I work in Microsoft Paint 5.1... So nothing hi-tech in me or the process with computers for sure!

I size a template first. I will have a circumference ring marked size specific. As we are into 16 bore here that ring is 11/16" O.D. at the final print.

If writing only is desired, then insert this inside your "ringed" template. Here's some shells that went to our annual "Classic" shoot in Montana only a few weeks back.... Name of shoot and year was advertised in every shell shot.

Finished topwad cover sheet templates are transfered to an 8.5" x 11" sheet. I use Microsoft Word for this. A sheet now has about 150 topwad cover sheets. I punch these out with a 16ga wadcutter. LYMAN USED TO OFFER THESE AS WELL! Here's an image of the upper corner of the printed 8 1/2" x 11" sheet. Salmon color paper was used in this case.

If a picture is wanted on your wad things get tougher. Find a sharp small image (smaller the better) of what you want. I hunt for thumb nail photos. Cut and resize image to fit your wad ring template. Add printing last if you desire it.

Many of my graphic cover sheets are pigeons... I hunt feral pigeons with an old friend in Billings whenever I can. It seems he likes a new 16 gauge design every trip! So I give it to him!

Here's a template without load data yet. Colors and graphics are done and these will print on plain copy paper for the main sheet.

Lots of fun during a snowy winter!

Thanks for your kind words Rob...

Slidehammer

I, for one, would much appreciate a tutorial on the process involved in Paint in making up these nifty little adornments for overshot cards.
I've spent two days messing with Paint, and I've got a properly sized circle in the color of my choice, but just one circle, and the lettering is giving me fits..

There must be some truth in the old adage about teaching old dogs new tricks.. Rolling Eyes
dovegetter
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 am  Reply with quote

I'd jump at the chance to buy both the roll crimper and the trimmer in 16ga. In fact I'd probably 12ga and 20ga if available, now that I think of it.

I watched slidehammer take the subgage prize at the recent Nimrod Vintage SC event using professionally hand-loaded 16ga roll crimped with this great crimper.

Sadly, my roll cimps look like they were done by a drunken sailor using the BP crimper. I think it's the extra humps inside that balance things out. Whatever -- if they make it we will buy.

Norm
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Black&Tan wrote:
I, for one, would much appreciate a tutorial on the process involved in Paint in making up these nifty little adornments for overshot cards.
I've spent two days messing with Paint, and I've got a properly sized circle in the color of my choice, but just one circle, and the lettering is giving me fits..

There must be some truth in the old adage about teaching old dogs new tricks.. Rolling Eyes

Black&Tan,

"Paint" is kind of hard to work with. Tony (shootingsioux) mentioned getting a graphics program a few days back in his comments and I have thought the same thing since!
A lot of work in "Paint" needs to be done in miniature (A sized topwad is miniature for sure) I don't like that. Also "shrunk" images become fuzzy. Even if they are clear the pixels in "paint" won't go small enough for real great detail.
Some details for you.... Under image above on top bar.... Flip/rotate allows you to turn an image. Do this as a separate file. You can shrink or enlarge image in stretch/skew. Attributes will let you pick your area size to work in. I use about .7 height and 1 .5 width. For your template circle you can click on the bottom left oval on the tool box. Start at the upper left corner of your work area and "drag" across at a 45 degree angle to form your circle outline. You can fill color into this from the paint can in the upper right tool box. I color the whole area and I can type into the extra area on the right side and box the writing using the top right box in tool box then drag it to the circle. Some things can be done in "zoom" under "View" on top bar. Sadly, writing can't other than moving it as mentioned before. If you have another image ready in another file then you can go to "Edit" on the top bar and then to "paste from" and paste the image into your wad circle..
Yep, writing this makes me want another graphics program!

Hope this helped.... Slidehammer
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:01 am  Reply with quote

[quote="dovegetter"]
Sadly, my roll cimps look like they were done by a drunken sailor using the BP crimper. I think it's the extra humps inside that balance things out. Whatever -- if they make it we will buy.

Norm[/quote]

Hey DG, if this Lyman crimper doesn't get to market the roll crimper by Precision Reloading works pretty good. It has 4 radial bumps or ramps. I know exactly what you mean by with the BP crimper unless you hit the hull just right the one roll pin in their crimper makes it difficult to produce consistant crimps. Do you run yours in a Drill Press or by hand? The DP helps alot with BP model. Mike

Black&Tan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

Slidehammer wrote:
Black&Tan wrote:

Black&Tan,

"Paint" is kind of hard to work with. Tony (shootingsioux) mentioned getting a graphics program a few days back in his comments and I have thought the same thing since!
A lot of work in "Paint" needs to be done in miniature (A sized topwad is miniature for sure) I don't like that. Also "shrunk" images become fuzzy. Even if they are clear the pixels in "paint" won't go small enough for real great detail.
Some details for you.... Under image above on top bar.... Flip/rotate allows you to turn an image. Do this as a separate file. You can shrink or enlarge image in stretch/skew. Attributes will let you pick your area size to work in. I use about .7 height and 1 .5 width. For your template circle you can click on the bottom left oval on the tool box. Start at the upper left corner of your work area and "drag" across at a 45 degree angle to form your circle outline. You can fill color into this from the paint can in the upper right tool box. I color the whole area and I can type into the extra area on the right side and box the writing using the top right box in tool box then drag it to the circle. Some things can be done in "zoom" under "View" on top bar. Sadly, writing can't other than moving it as mentioned before. If you have another image ready in another file then you can go to "Edit" on the top bar and then to "paste from" and paste the image into your wad circle..
Yep, writing this makes me want another graphics program!

Hope this helped.... Slidehammer

Thanks, Slidehammer. That was helpful...

I'm getting there slowly but surely... I get a little further each time I try. I guess I'm one of those people that can only learn by trial and error..

BTW, are there any good, but reasonably priced graphics programs?
robt. harris
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:08 am  Reply with quote

'LAST CALL!'......Gents, for expressing interest in the possibility of Lyman Products once again reproducing their much sought after roll-crimp heads.

As of Monday, I'll be forwarding all of your responses to their Product Development Div. for their review. They will then decide if it warrants the re-tooling, etc. to once again offer this head to the public. My hope is that it will at least merit a limited run in perhaps 10 ga. through 20 ga. We can only hope the Lyman folks see it that way as well......

Whichever way it falls, my 'Thanks' to all of you that did take the time to respond, as the Company wouldn't have known of this item's popularity (among others) otherwise.

All Best,

Rob Harris
Conner, MT
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Thank you Mr.Harris for your efforts in this matter. Very Happy
Stack16
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

put me down for a 16 ga. roll crimper.

Griff
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Slidehammer and Mr. Harris

Thanks for posting this thread and your time spent on our behalf working with Lyman.

I would certainly purchase multiples of any guage roll crimper Lyman chooses to manufacture.

All the best
Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh