16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  what do you use when in the field?
DougK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Vest, belt with bird bags, ammo belt, or ammo bandolera? And why?

Thanks,
Doug
TJC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Vest with shell holders most of the time. If the weather gets bad a jacket with a game pouch on it and shell holders in the flap pockets.

DougK
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks... I forgot about the jacket. Given thi past season in TX it was short sleve weather...
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

Remington tan-colored mesh vest: Cool yet functional and it can more or less comfortably hold 2 Indiana roosters---the limit here. Case yellow synthetic "trapper" model to dress the birds; Eddie Bauer game shears and a carton of Handi-wipes....along with bags for the dressed game.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

Hey there,

I use one of those Cabela's 8 in 1 jackets with removable liner and game pouch with shell loops / pockets. I like it because you can do ANY weather type with it, and change to meet the conditions in just a few short minutes. I really recommend them, for $80.00, you can't go wrong
-danny
bigric
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:45 am  Reply with quote

Camo vest, then a belt w/bags. I put the birds in the big pocket built into the back of the vest, keep shells in the left and right bags on the belt, and put hulls and other trash that I pick up in the back bag. The side pockets on the vest are too small to be useful.
woodcock hunter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:23 am  Reply with quote

After hunting Grouse ,Woodcock ,Pheasants and West Texas quail for 45 years my favorite and only vest I use is a Wick's, Great folks to deal with
they will make a vest to your spec's, they will make one with pockets to fit your transmitter's ,GPS, even a Cell phone, The quality is unsurpassed,
I really don't think you can wear one out, I also order they're cloth and make dog boots with it, great for the sand "spurs" in west Texas.
And they make their own products, I am done buy products made in China.
And the price is reasonably.

1-800-325-2112

http://www.houndhunting.com/modules.php?name=catalog&file=product_info&cPath=48&products_id=104
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:17 am  Reply with quote

Many years ago I got tired of moving stuff from light vest to hvy vest to light jacket to hvy coat based of the weather (and usually forgot something important in the process) I use a Filson strap vest but replaced the straps with padded pack straps. The game pouch goes all the way around so I can put a check cord and water bottle in the back, a cordura folding water 'bowl' in one side and a mini-dog/person first aid kit in a orange pouch on the other side. There is a zipped small pocket inside the vest for important stuff (car keys/billfold) and plenty of room in the 2 outside snap pockets. I usually just put the shells loose in the R pocket (holding my SxS in my L hand and reloading quickly with my R hand) with 2 buckshot shells in the elastic shell holder (be prepared Boy Scout thing) It also has a transmitter pouch in the front. It's alittle over-size but I can then wear it over anything from a light shirt to a hvy fleece lined jacket. You just need it high enough that the stuff in the back doesn't bounce on your butt every time you step. Filson is pricey but lasts forever but Cabela's makes a very nice vest with transmitter pocket also. I also try to start out a little cold knowing I'll soon heat up chasing my brain damaged setter over the horizon.
cedar16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:45 am  Reply with quote

I've used several types over the years, but have come to favor the strap type. The strap type fits over anything from a light shirt to a down parka. I like the classic looks of the Filsons I've used for years, but the game pouch is a little small for more than one pheasant. A current offering from Orvis has a spring-loaded closure on the shell pouches that will stay open for easy access when you are in a "hot corner"--very nice!
pumpgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:46 am  Reply with quote

L.L. Bean orange vest w/ game pouch. Not fancy, but it's held together for 6 years now. Wick's chaps, double layer. Have to wear shorts under them early in the season. Shells in right front pocket. Has two pockets on the inside, great for licenses, compass, GPS, small flashlight etc. In the game pouch always carry a ½ roll of bathroom tissue in a plastic bag. Just in case Wink
Highcountry
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

I wear a Filson strap vest and if the weather warrants it, I wear the vest over a Cabela's goretex upland jacket. I recently bought a hydration pack to wear under the vest. And the way the wacky weather has been this season - - sunscreen.

Hc

brdhnt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:24 am  Reply with quote

I have used a number of diferent vests both sleeveless jacket style and strap vests. My favorite is an Orvis strap vest. I have used one for over five years now and have both an orange one and a camo one for dove season.

Lightweight, fully adjustable for over clothing. It has two pockets on each side and a large zippered pocket in bakc with a water bottle pocket on each side. In the outside pockets are six shell loops on each side. These close with velcro. The inner pockets have spring steel closures. I usually have a Hi-Stepper and large handkerchief in one and a camera, dog lead and a partial roll of TP in the other. I can carry clothing or extra water in the rear pocket. The gam bag is enlargeable and easily accessible. It will hold four pheasants.

After trying mine, two of my hunting buddies now use one. I am very happy with mine since it had all of the features I need.

MHO

TMB
________
Babi Mac Proved That

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
IFL16's
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Bird n Lite strap vest. Built like a back pack. Way comfortable even when fully loaded. Lots of room for birds, shells and anything else you'd ever need on a day long cool/cold weather chukar hunt.

Larry
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

I wear a Boyt strap vest in warmer weather then I switch to a more traditional type vest when the weather gets cold. I've got a Cabela's vest called the "Dog Handler" or something like that. I like it. It's got double shell/glove pockets on each side, also zip pockets on each side, rear map/gear pocket on the back, generous front/side load game bag, right and left transmitter pockets with lanyard grommets, and whistle lanyard holders. It's a very comfortable vest and it carries everything I need.

My old tattered non-blaze orange Filson strap vest has become my trout fishing vest. Works great!

I REALLY wish I could find a nice light, non-bulky, non-insulated wind-blocking jacket or shell to wear under my vest for late season hunting. I've got a Cabeala's wind shear jacket that is OK, but a little too warm and bulky.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:13 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

I have a Herter's combination coat that I use in the field - to hunt. Liner zips out and sleeves zip off to make vest. Sleeves zip off Liner too so that can go under vest as vest. Gets a little warm at 60+ degrees (switch to strap vest at that point). Got the Herter's through Cabela's when the transition occured.

I have too many trap/skeet vests/belts/pouches to list.

Point of this message - what you wear is of little importance as long as it holds 16 ga shells and they are accessible for use!!!!! Twisted Evil

Another item - I RARELY shoot without gloves. Yes, even summer (100+ degrees), and even skeet, trap, sporting clays as well as hunting.

In regards to light windproof/waterproof (repellant) jackets - try the local golf shop. When my Dad passed away I got about 5 of these in different styles/colors - most pullovers. They have become my favorite light shooting jackets and I have even hunted in some when only a light coat is needed Cool

Dr. 16 Gauge