16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  what do you use when in the field?
IFL16's
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, what you're looking for is a Red Ledge. Back packers swear by them. They're made from rip stop nylon with some kind of breathable/waterproof lining. Mine folds up flat in a gallon freezer bag. Bought mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. They don't come in orange but red will work.

http://www.redledge.com/productDetail.cfm?gID=1&bID=1&colID=12&prodID=277

Larry
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

Larry, those look interesting! Might just be what I've been looking for.

Thanks!
IFL16's
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, they really are a tough quality garment but very light weight. I can carry mine all day in the back of my vest in the gallon freezer bag and not even notice it. They also cost a lot less then that at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Larry
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:09 pm  Reply with quote

Larry, I'll check one out. I looked at the Sportsman's Warehouse store locator and the closest store is about 3 hours away in the Minneapolis area. My wife's sister lives in Minneapolis, so this will make a good little mission for me when we visit next time.
(and a good reason to get away for a while!) Laughing
DougK
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

I am thinking of getting to ammo beltsand wearing them like Poncho Villa. I dont think I will get the hat. Laughing

Doug
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

Filson strap vest- why bother with a coat or traditional vest when all you use is the pockets.Since I bought it 8 years ago, all my traditional vests hang unused in the closet
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Parker Trojan wrote:
Filson strap vest- why bother with a coat or traditional vest when all you use is the pockets.Since I bought it 8 years ago, all my traditional vests hang unused in the closet

Because, for one thing it's nice to have more pockets. I like to have more pockets for oganizing extra gloves, transmitters, leads, shells, gps, what have you. It gets cold up here, and a full vest also gives more protection from the wind and keeps your torso a bit warmer. A good full vest is more comfortable for me, too. It seems to not only manage the gear I carry better, but they distrubute the weight of the gear and gamebirds better. I used to think a strap vest was the end-all way to go, too. Now I wear them just for the warm weather part of our season and put up having with two pockets jammed full of stuff, but as soon as the cold weather comes in, I happily switch to my full vest.

To each their own I guess.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:39 am  Reply with quote

Dave: Come hunt here with me in sunny California where you don't need coat or gloves. A cold day here is 45 degrees. I guess the correct answer is that we dress appropriately for the prevailing conditions. Good Hunting.
Parker
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:37 am  Reply with quote

I go to Wally World or Dick's after the season and buy the lightest blaze orange vest I can find for the cheapest price I can pay. I buy a medium and a large, one for early season and warmer days over a shirt, and the other for over heavier clothes. At season's end, they are usually too tattered, dirty, blood stained, feather plastered, and smelly to bother trying to save. So I pitch them and go buy two more for next year. I had a few nice vests once. I ruined them in a season or two. Now its the cheapies for me. Same goes for hats. One season is usually all she wrote due to the scrub oak, thorns, mud, blood, and crud.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

16gg: Dirty, blood stained, feather plastered, smelly but not tattered= barely broken-in Filson. Very Happy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Parker, How you do 'dat. It seems every time I show up, the birds run into the deepest, roughest, rankest, thorniest, muddiest, thickets they can crawl into. By season's end, i look like the scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz in blaze orange. Very Happy
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:21 am  Reply with quote

16gg: Now THAT'S a picture I'd like to see!!! I hunt a coastal ranch that grows salt hay .Half the fields are native cover and half are hay stubble that is cut knee high so as to leave good cover. The fields are surrounded by high levees that are grown to coyote brush with a occasional small grove of Eucalyptus trees. Nice country to hunt.
Parker
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:21 am  Reply with quote

If I was able to send a picture over the internet, I'd be temped to post one. However, the sheer visual shock would probably blind you and might even trash the network. Handsome I am not. But Hiedi loves me anyway.

There was a time when the state F&G Dept. would keep the trash growth cut back. However, the state has lost interest and the woods and fields look it. Judicious burning would really help. Its what the native peoples did regularly. In those long gone times, it was recorded that the woods and fields looked like the manicured parks of 16th and 17th century England. They would burn back the trash growth and clutter at winter's end while the ground was still frozen and damp or when there was some light snow to control the fire. The ashes would then enrich the soil as well as the nitrates deposited by the snow. Much of the topsoil on the areas once covered by glaciers in the NE came from thousands of years of this practice and was why 17th and 18th century New England farms were so productive.

Even the small farm agriculture that was common in many rural communities until the 1960's helped. Now our fields and woods are covered with rank growth, brambles, and poison ivy interspersed between housing tracts. Its a damned shame and one of the odius aspects of urbanization.
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

16gg: You're dead on about the burning but; sadly, I live in an area that went from 19th century Italian, German and Irish immigrants who worked hard and loved to hunt and fish to a yuppie community of treehuggers, PETA morons, eco-freaks and green terrorists who won't let you kill or cut anything. Our local mountain, Mt. Tamalpais, hasn't had the greaswood or broom cleared out of it since the disastrous fire of the late 1920's. When that sucker catchs fire it will burn like someone dumped jet fuel on it. The only revenge that I get on the eco-creeps is that our huge population of unhunted wild turkeys crap on the roofs of their Mercedes Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Gotta love those turkeys. we have them here too, both turkeys and eco-creeps. A bit back, I posted about the turkeys in the town of Weston, MA. stopping traffic during the AM rush hour and chasing folks back into their cars if they got out to shoo them off the road. I nearly split my sides when I heard the newscast about it. Can you imagine that scene.

These towny clowns passed a no hunting law about 20 years back. Now they are literally up to their idiotic kiesters in wild game. The insurance companies refuse to pay for shrubbery losses to browsing. The turkeys are assaulting motorists. These bozos want the state F&S to pay for professionals to remove the surplus game. Someone suggested bowhunting at a town meeting last year and almost got mobbed. Its way too funny. Wait til the deer start mugging the landscapers for the replacement greenery. Unbelievable but very true..and a real hoot.