16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  what do you use when in the field?
Yellow dog
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

mild weather:

6 year old= not broken in Laughing Filson upland tin cloth strap bird vest over my old ratty Blaze hoodie sweatshirt. A 2 qt. army collapsable canteen for the dog and I. Cabela's Stonewall waxed fabric chaps, usually over a pair of well worn Carhartt carpenters pants [comfort is key]
Footwear used to be just a pair of Hermann suvivors or timberlands, but last season I broke down and bought a pair of Cabela's Kangaroo uplands....WOW Exclamation

Colder weather is most of the same, but the vest gets ditched for Cabela's 8 in 1 upland coat.

top it all with a blaze cap.

Cabela's has that whole new "stonewall" collection of uplang gear that really looks practical.

16's
Stevens 530a single trigger.
Browning BPS special field.
Winchester 12.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:04 am  Reply with quote

I wandered into Dick's last night in the new Taunton store. I wound up with a cheapie light weight blaze orange for the early season. I had to get a large this year. the mediums don't go over the paunch so easy anymore.(if this trend keeps up, I'll wind up looking like a beer keg on stilts.)

I also got a great deal on a SafTbak canvas bird vest and matching brush pants on clearance for under $40 complete. I couldn't pass it up, even though I know they'll be trashed by season's end next year. I probably should go back and by another set at that price. I would too, but if the old gut keeps expanding, they won't fit. Is it true donuts migrate to your waist and have munchkins?
Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

16gg: First I gave up liquor, then I gave up my pipe and now that I'm retired and no longer working long and hard hours, I have given up ice cream, pizza, all desserts, salt, caffine and sugar in order to stay in size medium. Ain't it amazing what a guy will do for dogs and birds. I sure as hell never did that for a woman. Wink
fred lauer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Filson brush chaps are the answer to us older fellas going from a regular to a husky size. Filson stuff takes a beatin in the bird brush and only feels better with age. The Cabelas goretex bird boots are good for wet mornings but I also like Russell Moccassin bird shooters for comfort and the custom fit.The final piece of gear is a 60 year old sxs 16 bore with blue Peters papers. The smell gives you flashbacks to when you could actually walk all day behind a good hard flushing dog with out running out of gas.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:50 am  Reply with quote

PT, It doesn't surprise me about the women. Neither of my wives ever licked my hand in gratitude when I handed over the paycheck. They refused to sit quietly at my feet and stare up at me adoringly while I read about bird hunting and such. They would not wiggle their butts in anticipation of going for a ride. Plus, neither was worth a damn at finding birds or retrieving to hand. They were far more expensive to feed and house. To top it off, both refused to wear the bark breaking collar I bought for them to cut down on the nagging about my constant hunting and fishing pastimes. you would think they would be intelligent enough to understand that some things are far more important than mowing the lawn. (Neither would buy the cow and free milk idea to keep the lawn short ...no clear understanding of solid economics there.)

I once said here that I've been married twice and had three good bird dogs. I still have a dog, and get on better with that species. I never question something that works anymore. Wink 16GG.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:13 am  Reply with quote

We've sorta wandered into the boots issue so I'll wade in. I've tried Filson pants and chaps but while trying to walk in hvy. cover/CRP/hills (like trying to jog in the ocean on a coral reef) I felt like I good hardly lift my legs from the resistance of the chaps. I now use tall boots that I can tuck my pants into and let them blouse out (I know I look like a dork) and can lift my legs without resistance. Weed seeds, etc don't get down the boots if I tie them tightly at the top. For warm/dry/S. TX/AZ I use Russell 14" snake boots, for wet but not too cold, 12" Bean boots, and for snow/very cold use Wolverine Gortex/Thinsulate 12" boots with a Vibram sole. A buddy forgot his boots going to Mitchell this season and bought the Cabela's Irish Setter kangaroo bird hunter boots, wore them for two days, and said they felt great right out of the box. Wish they made them in 12".
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

Talking about pants tucked in boots reminds me of a friend whose wife bought him a union suit with built in socks for hunting. He loved them for the warmth but said that every time he broke wind, he'd blow his own boots off. Smile

PS, calf and knee high boots have a great advantage over most brush pants when in the low thorns an scrub. They protect the backs of your legs better. Most brush pants only protect the front. Even chaps don't cover the calf well. Thorns or scrub oak brush ripping into the calf is not much fun.

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:22 am  Reply with quote

Rev,

I tuck my pants in too; years ago I bought the tallest pair of Bean's I could find (16"?). My huntin' partners sometimes call me Elmer (as in Fudd) but that's OK.

An Orvis vest bought on clearance in KC before the Orvis store closed, over my blaze hoody, over a flannel shirt, long unders. and a tee shirt (combination depends on how cold it is). I have an LL Bean hunting coat with button-out liner, but I find the layer thing works really well and I seldom wear it. Finally bought myself some faced brush pant so I don't need my chaps any more. A blaze Filson cap. Oh yes, and always, a green cotton bandanna.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
mod11rem
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:28 am  Reply with quote

I gues I'll weigh in here. I wear a pair of 1000D nylon chaps over whatever is called for underneath. If dry a pair of Cabela's Rimrock gortex hikers well broken in. If wet, 12" tall muck boots, comfy warm and dry. I have an old unlined RedHead canvas jacket with big front pockets and a huge game pocket that I wear, again over whatever is required to keep warm. I sprayed the jacket with some stuff (some polymer compound) that gives it some rain resistance. Much more than a drizzle, I head for the house. I rarely get the pleasureof hunting in snow. I have an old canvas hunting vest that came with my Mod 11, brand new in 1947. I still wear it underneath jacket sometimes, mainly because it still smells like Sir Walter Raleigh pipe tobacco and reminds me of home. The vest seems to make the Mod 11 come up quicker and get 'em better.

As a founding member of Quail Unlimited, I used to have a QU blaze orange hat. Can't find it anymore and dang near wore it out when I was in TX anyway. Need to get another one, so when I go on these pay to hunt deals, some city boy doesn't shoot me. Are any of the 16 ga. hats offered here suitable?? If not we need to offer one. I'd buy it. later mod11rem