16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What is the best 16 ga for the money?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

Danny, you are right on both counts from what I've seen and heard. DeHaan seems to have an excellent reputation for backing its products. CZ is an old, well established company that makes guns among other things, and also has an excellent reputation. Their handguns are tops. I'd really like to see a CZ SxS in 16 at the price of their 28 ga version I've handled weighing about 6-1/2 lbs or a tad more. That would be a keeper at a great price.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:48 pm  Reply with quote

Danny, I know CZ will be introducing 16ga sxs this spring, but I don't know whether it will be only Bobwhite, or whether it will also be Ringneck.

Weight . . . obviously, a competition skeet shooter is going to shoot something heavier than either a FAIR or a Citori 16. Doves . . . you're in one place, not carrying the gun. Where weight makes a difference, IMO, is when you're doing a lot more walking than shooting, and especially if a lot of one hand carrying is involved. Personally, I don't have any problem with a Citori Lightning 16 as a pheasant gun. As a grouse and woodcock gun, where I'm often parting the brush with one hand, carrying the gun in the other . . . that's where a much lighter gun has an advantage.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:35 am  Reply with quote

Larry and others: I didn't get to use the 16 Citori much in the field because I got it at the tail end of this season, but I did shoot a few birds with it. It pointed and carried just fine; I plan on using it regularly next year and working it into a rotation between my Model 12 and 1620. The Invectors sure add to the flexibility. Mine is in 26" configuration.

Springer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:05 am  Reply with quote

Poli's 16 ga "Anson" model is a well balanced gun on a true 16 frame. Not too whippy in the woods but can be carried all day. Check out online at Cole Gunsmithing.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Larry, I'm beginning to consider buying a full set of football pads including a helmet with a face cage for some of the stuff I hunt grouse in here in N.E.. Once in the covert, regardless of how thick it is, I keep both hands right where they should be on the gun. I might be required to shoot while half crouched over and standing with one foot on the ground and one half over a log, but my hands are in the right place.

The birds around here will not give you a bit of warning before blasting into the air. Every microsecond counts. Carrying my gun one handed is a sure recipe for a miss on a departing bird sure as grouse have tail feathers. I wear a good pair of glasses to protect my eyes from branches and such and often turn my hat around backwards to help keep it on my head. (I also spend a lot of time picking it off thorn bushes too and it looks it by seasons end.)

However, I accept the occasional twig whip in the face, scratch on the ear, and /or thorn prick behind the knee as part of the game as well as a lot of muttered cuss words and sweat. Early grouse season around these parts is more like a contact sport that requires the playing field to be draped and strewn with barbed wire and old phone poles. He who says we aren't willing to bleed for our sport has never hunted grouse. Wink 16GG
DougK
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

I need to chime in on my question.

Value Gun the best is Stoeger (cheap, reliable, ok is on a 12 ga frame but its alot lighter than the 12 ga.)

Moderate Price is the DeHaan (ok its made my Huglu so is the CZ but they are different)

I cant comment on older, or english.

Doug
swamp rat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have always shot Brownings - started with a Belguin made sweet 16 some 40 years ago - owning more than I want my wife to know about.

Recently, I had the opportunity to shoot a Charles Daly - Italian Import - Field II in 16 - surprisingly, it handled better than other Italian guns that I have shot for three times the $ -

check out thier web site www.charlesdaly.com -

I understand, that Daly is going to start importing from Turkey for their 2006 / 2007 line - you might want to give them a shot!

The Browning Citori is still the best gun for the money - but if your JEEP is dried up you may want to try the less Daly -

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:50 am  Reply with quote

"Tomorrow will be better for as long as America keeps alive the ideals of freedom and a better life" Walt D. 03/01/41

I agree with the quote right down to the ground Swamp Rat. However, I think Disney was speaking to you and I and every average American citizen. Its up to us in all that we do every day. We can't depend on society's leaders and the government to do it. They have become too corrupted by wealth and power to care about things like freedom and a better life for the average citizen.

We need to face the fact that the power of the vote has been purloined by a corrupted electoral process. We must recognize that the right and power of free speech and assembly has been sidestepped, and cashiered. We must realize that many of our represntatives have become career politicians without any real regard for the purpose of the offices they hold. That purpose is to represent their constituency, to pass meaningful and just laws, and to adopt workable effective policies to direct American society toward a good, decent, and positive way of life.

the problems we face have become so entrenched and have divided us against ourselves so deeply, that the measures we must now take to correct the problem must be both stern and strong. We must demand a constitutional convention.

We must demand that term limits be imposed on these career politicians, clean them out on a regular basis to prevent the systematic corruption that now permeates congress.

We also must demand that the measures that have been taken to prevent us from freely lobbying and from assembling for political action be reversed. We must revamp our electoral process so our votes are fairly counted and the results reflect our will, not the will of a handful of political power brokers.

We also must demand laws that make the executive power answerable for its excesses and wrong doing. We must also rein in the power of the military-industrial complex that has ruled this nation's international and war policies for the last 60 years.

We have all witnessed the slow decay of our standard of living and our morale over the last 50 years. We have seen the strength of the American family sapped by the demands of an economy and tax system gone beserk. Our public educational syastem is both dangerous for our childern to partake in and ineffective.Katrina has shown that our ability to respond to a national crisis in an effective way is insufficient. And while we are becoming more systematically disarmed and less able to protect our own lives and homes, the criminal gangs that rule our urban streets become stronger and bolder by the day.

Its time we face facts and take whatever actions prove necessary to take back our way of life from a system gone rotten. And we need to do it soon, before the American way of life becomes an empty, meaningless one. 16GG
swamp rat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:32 am  Reply with quote

16GG -

I'll be in Massachusetts the end of the month and would like to shake your hand....limit the terms of politicians - what a novel idea...no more "K's" in the senate. Life would be better for everyone.

Swamp Rat

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:13 am  Reply with quote

Amen to that brother. Him and all the other A.H.'s that stink the place up.
OldM12-16gaMan
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:16 pm  Reply with quote

I'll go along with that

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:26 am  Reply with quote

Thread updated

horrockstribe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

I just picked up a new CZ Ringneck in 16 ga. last month. It is a sweet shooter. 28" barrels, IC/M, 6.5lbs. I have run about a case of shells through it at clay birds. I don't know if you can beat it for the price. I have always shot an A-5 Seet 16 but this one is fun. I will be using it on birds this fall. Very Happy

TopDog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

I just bought a CZ Bobwhite 16 ga.I took it to the pattern board and it printed 6 inches high for me.I like double triggers for chosing choke and I like fixed chokes in SXS. The CZ is choked IC/M. I tried a round of skeet and it went well and then I took it to the easier clays course and shot a 49 as soon as I realized I needed to see the target above the barrel.No malfunctions. It weighs 6.5 pounds. I want it to be my grouse gun but I am not sure how it will carry.Now guys you have blasted the Russian guns, but my experience has been excellent.I have a Baikal SXS 12 ga choked M/F which I use on pheasant. I hand load spreader loads when I want the full to pattern better. And I have shot 50 on the clays course with it.The only down side was the gun was way too short. I had to add an EXTRA long butt pad. It prints 12 inches high. I use it for trap also.I have a 20 and a 28 Baikal O/U and have minimal problems.I mean the stocks get loose etc.Guns are like cars in that humans build them, and they can act badly at times.None of my friends shoot SXS, saying they can't and no way can they get used to double triggers.I shoot them both well....but it took time to learn. Good Luck. TopDog
Pleasant Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Woodcanoeguy wrote:
For the money.....and not much of it, I would look at either a Winchester Model 12 or Ithaca 37 in 16 ga. Light, fast, wonderful in the hands, well made and a nice classic piece.

I fullly agree!

Best guns "for the money" by far.

Best answers yet. For the price and hunting use you want find any better.