16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun pics and serial #
jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:21 am  Reply with quote

2o years ago someone stole my Browning A5 and it still bothers me. Last night I had a dream about the theft and this morning I started removing guns from the safe, photographing each and recording the serial numbers. To those who are thinking "WHY NOW," I can only say better late than never.Embarassed
I'm sure that most of you have already safeguarded your guns, right?
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

YUP
Good information to us all
Mike

Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

I have a running list of descriptions and serial numbers. I attached the Word document to an email and sent it to myself on gmail. To find it, I search "serial number numbers rifle rifles pistol pistols shotgun shotguns" which is the subject line in the email. I don't have to remember the exact subject, but it will find it with any of the words in the subject. I can't keep my guns on a cloud, but I can keep serial numbers there. Gil
Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:08 pm  Reply with quote

I have an inventory document I keep with serial #'s, descriptions, what I paid for each gun as well as the blue book or market value for the gun as well as any accessories ie scopes. My thought for doing this is if things are stolen or if something happens to me and my wife has to part it out, she will have some idea what to get for these.
JT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

I keep an excel spreadsheet with serial number, description, where I got it from, what I paid, weight, notes and what I believe is it's current value. Total a couple columns to the bottom and I can see what I have invested, and what it is realistically worth. Saved a copy to google docs and can access from my phone as needed.

I started it mostly for my wife. A friend of my dad died and apparently some of his guns were "missing". His widow was actually calling people to ask if they remembered her husband having "this or that" and if they knew if had sold it recently. I believe a family member had helped themselves between the death and the wake, but she really didn't know what all was supposed to be there. True story!

My wife will know what is here without having to call anyone.

JT
byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:24 pm  Reply with quote

When I lived in AZ I had $30,000.00 worth of guns stolen. I had receipts, numbers and pictures. I gave this info to the police. Out of 27 shotguns they found 1. I had insurance for this type of misfortune. I went to 3 recorded depositions, the insurance company had their their own assessor come up with the value. then they decided not to pay me and said I would have to sue them if I wanted any satisfaction. The only way that any lawyer would take the case was if I payed them by the hour,so that meant I would get about $8.000.00 if I won. Turns out that they were taken by one of the local deputies.10 years later one was sold at a gun show and it flagged, the investigators found who sold it to the merchant. then they said there was not enough evidence to make a case so he is still out there . Now I have a safe

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:10 am  Reply with quote

What insurance company was that? That's one I'm going to avoid.

3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:48 am  Reply with quote

I found an NRA book at local discount store for $5 that is designed for keeping records. On each page you can list a gun, ser #, description, cost etc. My wife knows where it is. Last Mon night, we had an attempted home invasion. At 2:00 am I heard the garge door going up. I gave my wife the 38 SW Bodyguard and had her dial 911. I dropped 2 rounds of OO Buck in the Ugartechea 12 ga, and headed down stairs in my bath robe and tidy whities. Luckily, for them, they ran.They had broke into my truck and had stolen the garage door opener along with the spare keys to the truck and home. I had to put on new door locks, change the garage remote code, and am having my truck ignition recoded this afternoon. Sure changes your perspectives when things like this happen, we no longer live in the age of innocence. I live in the country, and have been pretty lax on security, that has all changed now.

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:58 am  Reply with quote

I would have considered putting a LoJack transponder in the truck and not resetting the codes. That's a serious scary story, though.

I need to update my list. Had a break in two summers ago, and was fortunate enough to recover my guns. The guy had hit several houses, and it turns out they were waiting for the judge to sign the arrest/search warrant for him when he was caught fleeing another house just a week or so later. Having the serial numbers on the guns helped the county during the trial of course.

I'll add ANY jewelry that you can not replace, should be in a safe. My wife lost several of her mom's rings, which was the worst part. I now have a second gun safe and a security cabinet for ammo and guns waiting to be cleaned.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't done this. I guess I should get off my lazy duff and do it. I should know better as my guns were stolen in a burglary around 40 years ago. I finally replaced them all, but none were ever found and the ins company paid very little for them. The police generally don't give a care as they have bigger fish to fry.
xvigauge

Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Mine are appraised and insured. I even carry what I carry extra insurance on the three I take in the field. So if I do something dumb, such as fall and break the stock or drive off and leave it somewhere the insurance rider pays me up to the appraised value.
Jbgregory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:41 pm  Reply with quote

I am a fine art and collectibles underwriter for a rock solid insurance company. I would happy to refer anyone to an insurance agent with access to my product if you send me a PM. Minimum premium is $500 and will cover about $50,000 worth of modern and antique firearms.
Best,
Jamie
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

I had my home Owners and Auto together and got a discount The company was Geico and Travelers. So much for saving pennies.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/