16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pattern DR16
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:09 am  Reply with quote

Anyone pattern loads with new DR16 wad yet? Just curious. I might load some today and see what is what.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Hootch,

I haven't patterened any to date, the loads I use are out for testing right now. I can't imagine the loads being anything but good, as they absolutely powder clay targets from 5 yards out to trap range distance.

When my pressure & velocity test load information comes back I will pattern and post all of the results on this forum.

I hope you will too.
Hootch
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:58 am  Reply with quote

I tested some just now. (not scientifically mind you)

I loaded up:
Cheddite 2.75" hull
22gr Universal
7/8oz of #8's
DR16 wad
OS card and roll crimped.
(got this load from this site ) I would have to look back, I think it is over 1300 fps and pressure in 10,000+ range? Would have to look at the post again.

Load fits great in the 2.75, will not fit in 2.5" however.

Absolutely dusted four targets. Black powder spray in the air.

Loaded four more, and shot them at some newspaper (out of patter paper of course) Used two in skeet choke and two out of the IC barrel.

This was a Citori and invector chokes, 26" barrel. No pictures as newspaper doesn't photograph well. But the patterns were terrific. Actually they were pretty tight, even out of the open chokes I used. Suprised me some. No wonder they were crushing the clays. Very dense core with very few fliers.
Paper was at 25 yds or a little less.

In fact I may toy with a spreader to see what that does.

This should be a good hunting load. I like the Longshot powder, but I like this particular load. But I need to find something that will fit in the 2.5" hulls.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Hootch

Your load looks a lot like mine but I used 23.0 grains of Universal and a Federal 209A primer, I have a feeling mine are going to be over max.

Anyway, I believe that Universal, Unique and possibly PB are going to give the best performance. I would be happy with anywhere from 1,300 to 1,400 FPS. The first load I wanted at MAX, so I knew where the limit was, and I could back it off a bit for my skeet league stuff.

Longshot is a bit too slow for 7/8 oz. UNLESS you are one of the speed demon guys. Heck I bet with Longshot and maybe a CCI209 or Rem 209STS (as long as it is a Max load) you could get a 7/8 oz load close to 1,500 FPS. Of course at that point all 6 lb. SXS guys are going to complain about recoil.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

dogchaser37 wrote:
Hootch

heck I bet with Longshot and maybe a CCI209 or Rem 209STS (as long as it is a Max load) you could get a 7/8 oz load close to 1,500 FPS. Of course at that point all 6 lb. SXS guys are going to complain about recoil.

Man I'll bet Charles is in his loading room with a can of Longshot and a box of 209STS primers cranking out some screaming 3/4 ounce loads right now. Gonna get him a trukey with 5/8 oz of # 12 shot this time.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Hello Hootch :

Ole Ben and I have already found that in a 65MM hull that 19.5 & 21 Gram loads in the short chamber guns will do anything that you ask of em .

This is a long range load not short , choke up on the shot and you can get longer distance , the high velocity is very obtainable in the short shells and ole guns also the recoil is substancially less , a good number of foot pounds that the ole wood doesn't have to absorb and possibly break .

Dont think just pressures the guns will take it , think recoil this is something that 50 - 100 year old wood will not take .

The same ole conventional thinking is making me repair a forearm to one of my Marlin 90's that was at the Flatwater .

I give Ash this gun and some shells and when he ran out he used those factory 1 OZ and at the first shot the forearm split into and fell to the ground , and this forearm showed not flaws what so every untill that point .

No the older guns deserve to be treated better and shot with 18 , 19.5 ,21 for light field and target & 23 Gram loads for the heavy field loads .

Regards Charles
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Charles,

I am going to try some smaller payloads in the 65mm Hull using the DR16.
I am looking for a place to start.
I like Longshot but am not held to it for any reason. I am looking for a good 3/4oz-7/8oz load in a 65-67mm hull that will do 1300+fps.
I roll crimp my loads.

Anyone have any ideas??
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:24 am  Reply with quote

I would say a very nice load to send off for testing would be a 65MM Cheddite Hull , DR16 Wad , 21 Gram of shot , 18 Grains of Green Dot and you will have what you seek .

We worked up the 63.5 MM and 65 MM with the Gualandi 1618 , 21 Gram of shot , 18 grains of Rex - 1 powder this give us 1410 fps , @ 9200 PSI .

The same load just replacing the powder charge to 16.5 grains of Rex - 1 gives 1325 FPS .

This load was and is wonderful and has a very low deviation in velocity and pressure it was a VERY CONSITANT LOAD INDEED .

Regards Charles
Hootch
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:49 am  Reply with quote

Rainy here, sitting around pouring over data, looking for some loads to send in for testing.

I may send in one using nice shot as I want to use it as my non-toxic and load it in a 65-67mm hull, regardless which gun I shoot it in.

I am unfamiliar with the Rex powder nor have I tried Green Dot.

Still some studying to do!! thanks for the information.

I may run to town today yet and get some powder.
Maxey Brantley
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

Mr. Hammack - any suggestions for the black RGL using Unique or Green Dot for 7/8 oz loads?
V/R
Maxey

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Max :

Your going to have to help me out , what velocity are you looking at ??

And this would just be a guess on my part I have not played with such heavy payloads much but I think Ole Ben has been doing some tinkering on those ( he's old school dont you know ) .

Regards Charles
Maxey Brantley
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:45 pm  Reply with quote

Charles - pro or con, I prefer velocities in the 1300 fps range. I shoot mostly International trap, and use 24g loads for most of my clay and dove hunting. I'd like to use the DR16 for the same type load. Any data you may have played with would be helpful. I normally load Unique or Green Dot, but that isn't written in stone.
V/R
Maxey

P.S. - appreciate all you are doing for the 16 ga!

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Max :

I have used the 16.5 grain of Rex - 1 and it gave 1325 fps Green Dot is a wee bit slower so the 16.5 - 17.5 would be a very good starting point and work up from there .

This is a very good velocity for quail and doves I do like it indeed .

Let us all know what you come up with .

Regards Charles
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Charles, here is what I would look for in a DR load at the clays course and for possible hunting use in my old Lefever (it has 2.5" chambers but I'm not too concerned with that):

Federal 2 3/4" hull, 7/8oz., 1300 fps +/-, 8000 psi +/-, with moderate recoil.

Is this possible? Suggestions?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Sure shoot a 19.5 or 21 gram load and have fun .

Otherwise your asking for alot , good luck on finding it .

Best Regards

Charles