<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New Federal Factory Pheasant Load
JAE 16
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

16gg, Well put and agree 100%.

Jason
35Rem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

So......

Opinions aside, has anyone used these yet?
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Boy,

You haven't been around this website very long have you. Laughing Laughing

Four pages of this thread and no one(including me) that has posted has bought any of this ammo.

Just a bit of advice, buy a box, if you like them, you are all set, if not, you still know more than.........and you will know it before the next ice age.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Hi GG :

Poor shooting could not have accounted for that bird ??
Certainly not with me shooting " Hmmm " you didn't mention the other birds shot with the #9's only the one ?? Smiling , it's ok I pull a boo boo now and again but it still has me shooting #7.5's and not looking back any , have to have my partners count for something don't you know , Little Ole Sweet Peach and Ole Cream have to feel needed too with a bird now and again to run down , makes em feel wanted .

Everyone shoot what makes em happy and we will all have a good time doing it .

Regards , Charles
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:08 am  Reply with quote

Hi Nick, your dogs were overjoyed on this one if all the tail wagging was any indication. Smile That bird looked to be hit square in the butt and got shoved forward in midair by the impact. However, you might as well have smacked it in the ass with a trash can lid for all the good those tiny little #9s did. Smile The range was pretty short, so I agree. 7.5 shot might have anchored it. #6 shot definately would have. If you must use #9 shot, I'll be happy to treat you to a round of skeet on me next time we join up together. Give the dogs a pat and a biscuit for me... and enjoy the rest of your season.
birddog
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Sorry Guys,
Haven't been online much recently and wanted to throw my 2cents in. I've bought a flat of these in #5 and yes they strike the roosters to the ground like the hammer of Thor. One paticular shot was a crossing shot at 48 paces, folded dead and no need for a dog!
Very Happy so far.
Happy Huntin,
Charlie Wink

Winchester Mod 12 16ga. 30" full
Sears mod. 30 Ranger 16ga.
1 NEW Citori 525 Sporting Clays w/30"tubes
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good woman" D. Boone
prairie_smoke
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

...And there you go. Thank you for reporting some actual experience with these big loads! I bought some, too, and will be trying them next to the Fiocci nickel plates. Ain't it great to have choices!

I haven't been on for awhile either as I've been hunting since mid-September.
Pheasants are just starting for me as I leave those smart and wild partridge to their gray woodlands. The 16's also proved themselves on Sharpies, where store-bought, 1 1/8 oz 6's were the ticket.

I think I'm going to need all the help I can get to kill John Ringneck, though, so I'll be packing those Federals. G'luck to all...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:23 am  Reply with quote

If you plan to hunt late into the season for educated wild cock birds, you might want to pick up a box of the Federal P165, 1-1/4 ounce #4 loads. The extra 1/8 ounce of shot might not seem critical, but it is significant in a #4 load. Well placed patterns will be dense enough for a bird as big as a pheasant. It does not take many of these big pellets through the vitals to dump a rooster. The load velocity is 1260 FPS which seems to be a sweet spot for these big pellets in a 16. It is plenty of velocity for pheasant out to past 40 yards, and it allows the pellets to maintain good patterns out of most 16 ga guns. The #4 pellets will carry up to penetrate very well even on going away shots, which is what you'll probably be getting. My experience has shown me a snug modified or loose improved modified choke will give the best patterns for these loads out at the far end of reasonable ranges. Good luck and enjoy your hunts.
pbeaver
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:52 am  Reply with quote

I did not run across any of this ammo this year, but I have been hunting pheasants every year since 1980 and have made some observations. I started with a 16 pump, and thru the years tried a 20 ga double, a 28 ga auto, and for several years used a Franchi 12ga 6.25 lb auto. When I stumbled across a 6.5 lb 16 ga double choked ic/im, I returned to the 16. I am convinced that the fact that full power 16's and 28's are loaded to the 1300 fps range is the reason that they kill so cleanly. People that are sold on the 20 ga 3" because it shoots the same load as a 16 don't consider that the 3" 20 is usually loaded under 1200 fps (let alone the long shot string), and usually switch to a 12 for pheasants eventually. Now that 1300 fps 1 oz. loads of plated shot are available for the 20, it should work better. I have not noticed a pattern advantage to plated shot, but I have seen that it penetrates better, and doesn't pull feathers nearly as much. I see similar performance with plated shot of 1 size smaller. Nickel plated #6 shot seems to penetrate the same as lead #5. I have had great success with the GP #5 and #6. I have a good supply of #5, because I found it on sale and that was the only size they had, but I would choose #6 for fuller patterns as long as it is plated. I have taken a few pheasants over the years that flew toward me from other hunters, and I noticed that there is more exposure to the head and vitals with this presentation, and for this reason I would expect driven birds to be easier to kill than flushed birds. I would like to hear from someone who has patterned this 1400 fps ammo. I have been concerned that this may be too fast for good patterns. I do want to try it though, because I believe that for pheasants, speed kills.

Phil
Crowbar
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Smaller pellets (7.5, 7, and 6) at high velocities in close will kill with authority. Of course, the smaller the shot, the faster it needs to be pushed. The problem is that smaller shot loses velocity, energy, and penetrating power faster than bigger shot. # 7.5 shot can be devestating in close if it is possible to hit the bird up front. However smaller shot is pretty much useless on bigger birds past 25 yards, especially when the bird must be shot at from the rear. Even #6 shot is usually all done at 30 yards or more if the bird must be taken from the rear.

#5 shot takes ove out to 40 yards in these situations. I witnessed Doug (16ga.) smack a pheasant last year at about 35 yards or so from the tail forward with a moderate velocity #5 load. The bird was hammered--dead in the air. The bird came down in some rough, heavy cover but was fairly easily found just about where it was marked down thankfully. This is typical performance for #5 shot on pheasant in my experience.

The following day, I witnessed Nick Hammack smack a smallish rooster well inside 30 yards with a high velocity sub load of fine shot. I witnessed the entire sequence of events from my vantage point slightly above and from across a small coolie. The shot was quickly delivered as bird towered up and away on the flush, so the angle was up and straight into it's rear. The bird came down hard but rapidly proceeded to sprint like a thief around 100 yards up a steep incline. The dogs tracked it by scent up the incline and pinned it about 100 yards from where it first came down. Without good dogs, that bird would have been lost IMO. I suspect the impact of small fast pellets initially knocked the daylights out of the bird, and probably put its wings out of action, but did not penetrate enough to kill it outright. It was able to pull off a Jesse Owens I'd not have thought possible considering how quickly it was dumped.

Most typical wild pheasant I've seen are out beyond 25 yards and going flat out and away from the flusher pretty quick. So most typical shots are at the tail feathers like it or not. A 1250 to 1300 FPS load of #5 shot will dump roosters with authority out to 40 yards with fair certainty. #4 shot will add another 5 yards or so of dependable killing power --even from the rear. Past 45 yards, all bets are pretty much off for the average hunter. Hitting the birds at all becomes the problem.

Exactly. Good post.

I can't understand why anyone would get sucked up into this nonsense about 9s being ideal pheasant loads. I mean, have you seen or heard of any live pigeon shooters abandoning their 7 1/2s and going to 9s in the live bird ring?

Bigger birds need bigger shot -- especially those that are flying away from you when you are shooting at them.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry guys I just couldn't help myself. Embarassed

Not sure who I got the gif from but thanks!

spr310
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

How many times are you guys going to debate the size of shot people use? Who cares what others use?
Duct Tape
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:49 am  Reply with quote

I realize this is digging up a very old thread, but it is germane to my questions.

First, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been a pheasant/quail/duck hunter since 1968 and have been hunting wild birds here in Colo, Kansas, Montana since moving here in 1992. My standard gun has been one of my Browning 20 ga Superposeds but just before my most recent hunt I picked up a new to me 16 ga Rizzini O/U on what seems like a small 20 ga frame, which felt lighter to me than my 20's and felt so good in my hands I couldn't pass it up. I grabbed several boxes of the Federal HV loads which have been discussed here at Bass Pro on the way out of town, in both 5's and 6's (but shot only the 5's) and they worked very well. Like all of our pheasant hunts, esp late season when we're free from holiday duties and get most days in the field, we find that our shots can be 20yrds over my English Setter, or 35+ in a wind when she bumps one up or we flush one. I'm not a purist - if there's a safe shot with high prob of a kill, I'll take it.

Never noticed the recoil but then it was over a wild bird, who's to say what it would feel like on the range.

My question is are there any reload recipes which replicate these Federal loads? I've found nothing close to it in the Lyman or RCBS books or on the Alliant or Hodgdon web sites. I'm not yet sure I'll go the 1425 fps route but would like to reload some more and try them out.

Thx for any help and thanks for a great web site.

- Jon Snider
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:11 am  Reply with quote

Hello Jon
Welcome on your first posting

Yes there are loads that rival the Federal loads

I would go here, enroll and look around

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/reloading16gauge/info

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Duct Tape
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Thx Mike. I did a couple of days ago but never got a response back about gaining membership so at last check I couldn't access the files link. I'll try again tonight after work.

Jon