16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Clean burning powder recommendations needed
thunderstick
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:32 am  Reply with quote

I've been loading for low pressure, light loads with Fiochhi hulls and primers with Unique. Wondering if anyone can recommend a cleaner burning powder.
Thanks in advance!
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:39 am  Reply with quote

International Clays
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:55 am  Reply with quote

SR-7625 very clean.
It's so clean, I don't have to clean my guns. Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have a question or three here. First, what pressure ranges are you now getting in your present Unique loads? How are you determining the right powder bushing? What shot load or loads are you dropping? Thanks.
thunderstick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Hi! I'm currently using 7/8 oz loads. I weigh the powder and shot on my scale and adjust the universal charge bar until its what I need. I believe the pressure is around 8200 psi ( I'm at the office and don't have my reloading data sheets here) I believe I am using 18 grs. of Unique.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:14 am  Reply with quote

thunderstick wrote:
I've been loading for low pressure, light loads with Fiochhi hulls and primers with Unique. Wondering if anyone can recommend a cleaner burning powder.
Thanks in advance!

TS if you stop and think about it you will realize that how clean or dirty a powder burns is much to do about nothing. Each round cleans the burnt powder debris left behind from the previous round so you are only left to clean the debris from the last round fired. The burnt powder is gone after a couple of swipes down the bore with a brush followed by a patch or two. Now getting rid of the plastic from the wads is a more difficult matter and you have this problem with the cleanest powder out there. After all is said and done what you really should be looking for in a powder is one that gives you the performance you want and is consistent from shot to shot under most climate conditions.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:18 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
thunderstick wrote:
Thanks in advance!

TS if you stop and think about it you will realize that how clean or dirty a powder burns is much to do about nothing. Each round cleans the burnt powder debris left behind from the previous round so you are only left to clean the debris from the last round fired. The burnt powder is gone after a couple of swipes down the bore with a brush followed by a patch or two. Now getting rid of the plastic from the wads is a more difficult matter and you have this problem with the cleanest powder out there. After all is said and done what you really should be looking for in a powder is one that gives you the performance you want and is consistent from shot to shot under most climate conditions.

TB, yes and no. When I first started messing with 7/8 oz loads I started with Unique. I had enough unburned powder to literally bind the action on my 1620. I doubt if any powder is really "clean.," but after I switched to IC I had no issues with unburned flakes binding the action on my SxS.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Dave how was powder getting into the action of your 1620? I have used light charges of Unique (usually less than 17 1/2 grains) in my 7/8th ounce loads for years in Parkers, Foxes, Lefevers and Winchester Model 12s and have never had any sort of problems associated with powder residue. Your Merkel must have been designed and built with much tighter tolerances in the action to have a few grains of partially burnt powder to cause it to bind up. It certainly isn't the norm for most shotguns.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Good question! It was back when I was first experimenting with some of the light (7/8 oz) loads we worked up using the Claybuster 20 gauge wad. Lenard Lemke was having great success with the combination, but I had poor "floopy" sounding loads and a lot of unburned powder. That and the Merkel action is tight to a fault, but in fairness to the gun I was getting a lot of unburned flakes in the action. I'm guessing the flakes just got dragged back into the action when the hulls were ejected. A wad change (SG20L) and a faster burning powder (IC) cleaned everything up.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:06 am  Reply with quote

thunderstick wrote:
Hi! I'm currently using 7/8 oz loads. I weigh the powder and shot on my scale and adjust the universal charge bar until its what I need. I believe the pressure is around 8200 psi ( I'm at the office and don't have my reloading data sheets here) I believe I am using 18 grs. of Unique.

Thanks for the info. Most modern smokless loads sare designed to burn best at 9.2K and up. As pressures drop below this mark, the average shotgun powder will burn progessively less efficient and therefore, will leave more unburned powder and more carbon soot. If you are shooting a break open gun or a pump, don't worry about it unless you are getting some bloopers from abnormally low pressures. Most low pressure loads like yours will not cycle an autoloader, so you'd probably not be using them in the first place.

If the loads are doing a good job for you, then just clean out the junk after shooting with a patch and some powder solvent. However, if your loads are leaving something to be desired performancewise, you might try 16.5 to 17 grains of Green Dot for the 7/8 ounce loads. It will up pressures to between 8.5 and 9.5K in a Cheddite type hull with a proper fitting wad, but it will burn much cleaner and give better performance on target as well. 9.5K is not a high pressure load, nor is it abusive to most guns except certain older guns with laminated iron barrels. any gun with fluid steel barrels in decent shape will hndel the load just fine.
thunderstick
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Hi ! and thanks for all your thoughts.. I get good performance from my Unique loads and NEVER ( knock on wood) get a blooper. So, maybe if it ain't broke, I don't fix nothin' ? Dave, I've looked at the IC data and cannot seem to find much using the Fiochhi hulls and primers which I have in great abundance. 16 gg: I am actually shooting 2 3/4 shells in a 2 1/2 chambered gun and I am thus interested to keep my loads as low-pressure as possible. cleaning the gun is something I do after every shoot anyway, so maybe I'll just stick with the Unique.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 am  Reply with quote

2-3/4" in a 2-1/2 inch chamber is probably okay with very low pressure loads. Recoil will naturally be stiffer regardless. What it does to patterns is anyone's guess.

I'd recommend having the chambers lengthened if possible or using 2-1/2 inch loads. Or, get a 2-3/4 inch chambered gun for one go round. Then do what other folks are doing. Recycle the standard length shells by cutting the burned out crimps off for your 2-1/2 inch gun. It's a good way to conserve hulls IMO, and a good excuse to expand your gun collection too. Very Happy Anyway, good luck.
Irish Jack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

I was having the same thoughts in the resent past, had been useing g/dot....7/8oz.......and did not have any problems, but was worried about residue getting back in the gun and having issues,SLAM FIRE ..... I have never had this happen but know people who have.

Any thoughts if this is a real concern.

I have been using INTERNATIONAL/C now WITH 7/8 oz and like it so far, I shoot 20-30 live birds a weeek while training and they seem to be doing a great job.

I have been looking @ the 7625 , is that powder better suited to the 1ozl loads, I don't see much on the spread sheet in 7/8.

I plan to get some loads off to TOM .A. I/C 7/8oz paper roll crimped in the 1160-1200 fps unlees someone allready has.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:24 am  Reply with quote

I've been shooting a 3/4 ounce Green Dot skeet load in my Model 37 and Browning BPS pumps almost exclusively for well over two years now. I've had zero residue issues. Both guns are bottom ejectors with no side port. If residue was going to be a problem, it would show up in these designs. Nada. Not a concern.

I suspect something else might be causing the slam fires. A worn or poorly fitted hammer/sear engagement notch, weak trigger return spring, or an obstruction that is preventing the bolt and or rails from traveling back completely could be the cause. Some older pumps will also slam fire if the shooter is not completely releasing the trigger finger when cycling the gun. This can happen if the shooter is gripping the gun too tightly and is trying to pump it too fast. Just relax and let the speed come naturally. It is more important to cycle the forend smoothly and completely.

The Best way to care for a pump is like any other repeating shotgun. First keep it reasonably clean. Don't let junk build up in it. Some sparingly applied WD40 or other spray solvent with silicone or other suspended moisture remover and rust preventative and some air pressure will blow out any shell residue nicely. Do it after every shooting session. It only takes a moment or two. There is no need to disassemble the receiver after every session. Once or twice a year is enough to clean and check things over and to apply a very small dab of grease or a small drop of oil on the primary bearing surfaces. Very little oil or other lubricants are needed inside a modern pump. liberally applied oil and grease inside a repeating shotgun receiver will attract junk, grit, and dust and cause more problems than they prevent.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I had enough unburned powder to literally bind the action on my 1620.

That's really puzzling to me. I might expect problems with Unique in a repeater, but not with a SxS. I use Unique in my AyA SxS and yes, it is filthy dirty stuff with a billowing cloud of thick blue smoke and the barrel full of crud and a few grains of unburned powder. The empties are coated inside with a fine gritty soot. But there is no dirt, dust, or grit whatsoever in the chamber or action. It is shiny clean. The exterior of the empties (Fiocchi) are spotless clean also. And it shoots great.

How is the unburned powder getting past the chamber into the action?

Also, 18 gr seems light. Have you chrono'd your load?

Brewster