16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  What Hulls to Purchase
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

My supply of Fiocchi primed hulls is getting low, so I am in the market to order some hulls. Looking at the LPG data, it seems like the Cheddite hull is popular. The Fiocchi hull has a fair amount of data, but most of it is from Ballistic Products, and I do not have a lot of faith in their data.

So I am wondering if anyone with experience with both Fiocchi and Cheddite hulls could give a quick lesson on the differences and/or advantages of either. I am looking at 2-3/4" hulls(primed or unprimed) that I can purchase in 500-1000 hull lots for loading 7/8 oz to 1 oz loads. I have a good supply of R-16 and DR-16 wads, as well as some 1 oz Gualandi wads. Loads will be mostly for target, and maybe for some doves come September. If it matters, reloading will be on a MEC Sizemaster.

Right now I am getting about 5 reloads with my current Fiocchi hulls, and about 3 with my current Winchester and Remington hulls.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

USAF1, I'd like to. I'll PM you some info tomorrow AM to avoid another pissing contest with some of our most recently acquired rather unhappy resident experts. Very Happy
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

USAFA,
Check out Grafs.com or Precisionreloading.com for primed hulls. I much prefer the Cheddites. I did buy some loaded Fiochi's and was disheartened to find that some of the hulls had split mouths after the first firing. Faster powders seem to be kinder to case mouths than the slower burners. I'm getting good life out of Cheddites with GreenDot under a DR16 3/4oz load.
Cheers,
R*2