16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  20/28
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Has anyone used Alliant 20/28 powder in their small gauges, or believe that it would be appropriate for our lighter 16 efforts?
Square Load
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

I am loading it in the 28ga. and am very happy with it. Burns very clean and the powder drops are super consistant. It costs a little more per pound but you use a little less so overall costs are about the same.

I also think that 20/28 would make a very good 16ga powder, especially for 7/8 & 1 oz. loads. It's burn rate is similar to Unique but it is a denser powder. In my 28ga. I use a #14 bushing where #19 is needed for the same load with Unique.

I would like to load something up and sent it in to Tom Armbrust but I am not sure where to start. Anybody have any ideas?

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

SL I would start with a known 20 gauge load that is in the pressure and velocity range that you are shooting for using the brand/type hulls and primers that you intend to have tested then add 10% more powder to account for the increased hull capacity. Be sure you weigh the powder charges and shot charges individually then send them off to Tom for testing by UPS. WARNING Don't shoot these before you get the test results back from Tom.

Toms address is: Ballistic Research
1108 West May Ave.
McHenry, IL 60050-8918

Be sure you identify the hull/length, primer, powder/charge weight, shot weight and crimp.

Also include a phone number he can reach you.
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

I see the 16ga as closer to a 20ga than a 12ga--we tend to use powders with 20ga applications more so than 12ga, except for some of these lighter charges of shot where some 12ga target-appropriate powders work well. I look at what we have in 16ga that closely approximates what is listed for 20ga, and go from there.

I'd think a loading that gets high/near max pressure for a 20ga and 7/8oz of shot in a given type of hull and type of wad would be a good starting point for a 16ga with 7/8oz and less shot. Presumtion would be that the larger hull/wad diameters would result in reduced pressures, maybe comparable to slightly higher velocity. If pressures drop too much, so be it at least we have a starting point.

It's probably been stated before regarding this process, but everyone should be aware that loads sent for testing must have their shot and powder charges individually scale-weighed, not thrown from the press' bushings. It's only a handful of shells, so it's not too much bother, but has to be done for accuracy's sake.

kgb
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:48 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 am  Reply with quote

Tony that is a great tutorial, thanks.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

Tony,
Thanks for the math, and the detail. I must confess I simplify it;
Up the the powder charge; velocity increases the same %
Pressure increase is TWICE that percentage.
Fast powders can hit a "spike" point where all bets are off,
so when I'm dreaming up loads I always use "slow for gauge/caliber" powders.
Can't recommend my approach, but it works for me.
With my case of DR16's and the free testing, I'm thinking of trying some
Clay Dot behind 3/4oz. Judging from some of the Red Dot data for the 16ga,
I'm guessing 18grs of Clay Dot in a Cheddite might be interesting.
Cheers,
R*2
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

Nice job, Tony. I have to admit I do not have a specific formula, but I pay close attention to the relationship between the hull capacity, powder burn rate, and powder charge weight. Like Russe11, I'd rather ere on the side of slightly slower powders, but not too slow burning. It's been interesting to look at the data so far. I think we as a group will get these loads dialed in nicely by the end of the summer. My bench is clear and ready. I have to load up a bunch of 3/4 oz skeet loads and then I'm going to start with the Federal hull, 7/8 oz w/International Clays and a Win primer. I'll dig out my chronograph and see what 16, 16.5, and 17 grains do for FPS and go from there. When and if I can get something in the 1200 fps range I'll send it for pressure testing.
Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

wow. Interesting if not a little hard to swallow all in one post. I am going to print that so I can get it into my head. I am interested for several reasons,

trying to create a good 24ga load and data is hard to come by and I am looking at 20ga data, then back to 28ga data.(for same hull/wad/pwdr/primer etc) And I think I have some good places to start.

Your method may help in that regard, may help in finding a good short 10ga load too!
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

It'll take me a little while to understand that all, Tony, but thanks for putting it down on "paper". The primers area another element with huge
impact on a load's performance and I've seen them not follow assumed
rules without being able to definitively blame the powder for the effect.

kgb
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:52 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I had enough unburned powder to literally bind the action on my 1620.

That's really puzzling to me. I might expect problems with Unique in a repeater, but not with a SxS. I use Unique in my AyA SxS and yes, it is filthy dirty stuff with a billowing cloud of thick blue smoke and the barrel full of crud and a few grains of unburned powder. The empties are coated inside with a fine grit. But there is no dirt, dust, or grit whatsoever in the chamber or action. It is shiny clean. The exterior of the empties (Fiocchi) are spotless clean also.

How is the unburned powder getting past the chamber into the action? Also, what hulls are you using?

Brewster
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:55 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I had enough unburned powder to literally bind the action on my 1620.

OOPS...wrong thread! Embarassed Embarassed