16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Anybody going to the Louisville Gun show??
Brad6260
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

Anybody going to the National Gun Day show in Louisville Feb. 25 & 26th ?

If any of you nuckleheads are coming in and want to meet up for a brew or coffee at a local pub let me know.

I'm local so it is an easy set up if there is interest.

Brad
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

Brad6260 wrote:
Anybody going to the National Gun Day show in Louisville Feb. 25 & 26th ?

If any of you nuckleheads are coming in and want to meet up for a brew or coffee at a local pub let me know.

I'm local so it is an easy set up if there is interest.

Brad

Count me in on that Brad, but then again I am virtually local too. I wonder if any of the other 16gaugers from further afield will show up at that one.
jchandler
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be in line early Saturday morning. Always fun to see Ron Dickson hawking tickets.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:52 am  Reply with quote

An open invite to any going thru the Paris.Il area that weekend---I run the local club and can open anytime---let me know.If not that weekend let me know--let's shoot!!!!!
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:35 am  Reply with quote

I used to enjoy these shows but have not been to one in several years. Last one I attended was so crowded it was impossible to hardly move, much less see anything. And the morons walking around with guns over their shoulders holding on to the barrels are an absolute menace. Every time these guys move they are in effect swinging a club behind them! And it seemed as if one had to pass two tables of "flea market" items to see one table of gun stuff. I would be interested in hearing if this was still the norm at these shows or has there been any improvement?
Brad6260
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Clay thingy whatever??

Common now. I love the idea of finding my treasured Parker,Ithaca or Purdey right next to where I can pick up that missing Beanie Baby I need for the collection.

Seriously,
I would be curious to hear from others their opinions of this show.
While it is certainly not without it's crowds I have found it to be a very good show to attend and have not found it at all cumbersome to get around. The quality of the guns is a cut above the norm as well.

Opinions??

Regards,
Brad
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:12 am  Reply with quote

While speaking of gun shows, has anyone been to one of the NRA shows? I noticed this year it is in Wisconsin in April. Can you buy a gun there or is it just a dealer exhibit? Like to know before I drive all the way up there.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:37 am  Reply with quote

I cannot speak to the Louisville show or the NRA shows, but in general I do believe that the gun shows are getting"housebroken", watered down or whatever one would want to call it---maybe "emasculated" is the word I'm looking for. Here in Northern Indiana, when you go to a gun show, you are just as likely to be treated to to a vision of all of the military clothing, fake leather gear bags, venison jerky, medical/surgical tools, insufferable bull shooters, and specialty chocolate that you can stand.

It's getting a lot tougher to find the true firearms collectors' gems that we on this board so frequently seem to seek. A couple of exceptions: there are good gun shows at Borkholder Dutch Village, Nappanee, IN twice/yr. and also at Porter Co. Exposition Center, Valparaiso, IN twice per year.

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

I believe the internet has killed the dealers who used to lug guns around to shows for sale. Why travel all over the country when you can run a web site and list that 95% Model 12 16 gage and the whole country can see it?

Flea market items I don't want to see at a gun show:

*military style BDU's
*SWAT gear including Baclavas and helmuts
*$3 survival knives with compas and fish hook in handle
*bumper stickers that say things like "insured by smith & wesson"
*books that tell you how to make your 10-22 full auto

ETC, ETC, ETC

Which is why I quit going to gun shows!
jchandler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote

ok, time for a show of hands.........who's going to Louisville tomorrow? I'll be walking around with a 12ga Sterlingworth in hopes of finding a trade for a 16ga.

Jeff
Brad6260
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:14 am  Reply with quote

I'll be there looking for the table with the RBL 16 , GHE Parker 16,
Westley Richards 16, and the Model 21 16 manned by the 28 year old big breasted blonde woman who's turn on's are 46 year old's and Bobwhite covey flushes.

Brad
(aka-a really optimistic 46 year old)
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:36 am  Reply with quote

jchandler wrote:
ok, time for a show of hands.........who's going to Louisville tomorrow?

Actually, a 16ga meeting place will be easy. Just look for the table with the most 16 gauges and bingo. I will be there with my dad, trying to get him converted from his 1950's mentality of pumps and autos. I just need to find some really good 16 sxs to show him. LOL...
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

I obviously missed the show but was reading through the thread and maybe give you guys some (probably false) hope. Very interesting gun show/gun shop dynamic here in AZ. All the interest seems to be in self-defense, military long arms, and hunting rifles BUT lots of people come to retire bringing a few cherished guns. When some old gentleman passes on or is moved to an assisted living facility, frequently a wife has some guns she knows nothing about and doesn't want.
My 20g. Trojan was brought into a small gunshop by a lady from KS who's doctor father bought her the gun in 1922. She also had his DHE and some musket used by her family in the MO-KS 'border wars' The shop owner snatched up the DHE and I got the Trojan hoping he was at least fair with the elderly lady who was moving into an assisted living place and couldn't take the guns.
At a recent rather small area show, some guy was walking around with a straight stock DHE Parker 12g. and was asking $3500. I was about 3 levels of vultures back from him and never even got a chance to clearly see the gun.
At the better big winter show at the Phoenix Fairgrounds in early Dec, some guy had a table filled with junk AND a SA Parker SBT and another guy had a 16g. Trojan for $800!!!! Unfortunately, I had just acquired both my 12 and 20g. Trojans, had a mission trip to finance, didn't have the cash in hand, and KNEW I couldn't slip this one in the door. Crying or Very sad I think I saw 2 16g. Ithaca Lefever Nitro Specials also.
Anyway-hope springs eternal in a 16g, seekers heart (or something like that-maybe the poem was talking about spring and...oh...never mind Wink) so DON'T GIVE UP.