16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Velocity vs. Mass.... "The Summary"
PatrickB
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:29 pm  Reply with quote

Outstanding data!! The information on #7 pellets is something missing from other research/articles I've read over the years - glad you included it.

Agree there is no need to waste time on Steel shot but I'd love to see the data for Bismuth, Nice Shot and ITX - although it would not be a cheap analysis with the cost of the shot it would be very helpful and interesting data.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Slidehammer,
Thank you for the work and data and you have validated my hunting loads. Many years ago I bought a ton of Lawrence #7 magnum shot and use it in 1 oz. loads for chukar, grouser and huns. My pheasant loads are 1 oz. of np #6 in the open barrel and 1 1/8 oz. of np # 5 1/2 shot in the tighter barrel. Same pellet count and of course the #5 1/2 shot gives a little better down range energy.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:49 am  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
Go Sevens! Great shot size... Tony

Thanks Tony for a great post!

The percentages really clarify and add to the penetration testing for several of us.

Your chart of shot size usage speaks of experience in the field as well. I had never known how much I "preferred" the odd numbers of shot for hunting!

I seem to use 7 1/2's on doves... That said, I really don't like the size on living flesh. Probably 7's would do fine on doves especially in a pass shooting area that I seem to prefer.

I will strive to get a great patterning load one shot size bigger at times (most times). The 16ga load included in this testing with 1 1/8oz of 5's is an example... 90% + patterns don't grow on trees or come out of the blue either! Yet... it is great to have the density of a #6 with the "power" of a #5. Yes, patterns this tight do force you to point well...

I used #3 shot on big Mallards years ago and found it great right out to 60 yards. I always wanted some "Lubaloy" 3's like ol' Elmer Keith had Western load up special for him in the old days! Number 2 shot never patterned as well for me and patterns always had a sparse look to them. Never tried 1's...
I had several of those little 5# bags of Western Lubaloy BB's. This was real plating back then. I had a 3" 12 bore load that had 83 of these cu BB's buffered. It patterned well into the ninety percentile. On big Canadian Honkers it was some load! Even at sixty yards an autopsy would show these big pellets as penetrator "supremes"! Little use for these loads today. I only hope a GOOD lead replacement comes along (for us old reloaders with our old guns) while I still have the ability to sit in stubble corn and wait in minus ten temps for the Mallards and Honkers to arrive...
I won't be there with steel; I can't stand the taste it leaves in my mouth....

Slidehammer
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for your efforts Slidehammer. I agree with the choice of #7 shot for pigeon and smaller grouse as well. It is also deadly on legal hen pheasnt and young roosters as well. Folks who try it are merely discovering what columaire shooters ahave known for decades. That is why #7 shot is referred to as pigeon shot.

I do have one observation of my own. Dry testing media does not fully and accurately reflect the effect and results lead shot has on live birds. Meat is mostly water, and water does not compress. Lead pellets will flatten out more at higher velocities when they smash into bird flesh. anyone who has picked shot out of a pheasant carcass will attest to this fact.

Once the shot velocity falls below a certain threshold, lead pellets tend to deform less. The birds' body fluids are given more time to displace instead of resist. The fluids themselves are also displacing at a slower speed and do not contribute as much force to the impact and the subsequent tissue damage.

I think this is a major contributing factor to why bigger pellets kill more cleanly at longer ranges. The big pellets have a bigger impact footprint and disrupt more tissue at they penetrate through the vitals. They also displace more fluids upon impact which also become a form of projectile which adds to the tissue damage and the shock it creates.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

I think this is a major contributing factor to why bigger pellets kill more cleanly at longer ranges. The big pellets have a bigger impact footprint and disrupt more tissue at they penetrate through the vitals. They also displace more fluids upon impact which also become a form of projectile which adds to the tissue damage and the shock it creates.

Well 16GG finally something you, Mr. Hatcher and I agree on.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:02 am  Reply with quote

I've used lighter loads of smaller shot at extra high velocity out to 20 yards or so with excellent results. My pet .410 snipe, rail, woodcock, and stocked quail load is a 1/2 ounce of #8.5 at just over 1350 FPS (3" hull load). It dumps small birds very effectively and kills them quickly as long as ranges are short and the velocity does not fall off too much.

I've used extra high velocity 12 gauge loads of 7/8 ounces of #7 shot stocked pheasant at close ranges. It hits them very hard, and kills them very quickly. I suspect a similar 16 gauge 3/4 ounce load of #7 shot would do just as well.

However, the velocity of any sphere will drop off quickly reqardless of initial velocities. Bigger shot holds on to its velocity better because it simply has more inertia working for it, but it still sheds velocity quickly. It remains effective because it is bigger and heavier starting out and finishing up. I will always go with bigger and heavier shot once ranges cross the 25 yard mark. experience has taught me the wisdom of doing so.

This is old knowledge that has been well understood by ballastics experts since the days of Rome. They used it to design and deploy some of the most effective ballistics weapons of their times. They understood the effective difference between a big round stone and an equally heavy spear very well. All we are doing is rediscovering the same knowledge for ourselves.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:03 am  Reply with quote

duplicate post deleted

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:10 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I've used lighter loads of smaller shot at extra high velocity out to 20 yards or so with excellent results. My pet .410 snipe, rail, woodcock, and stocked quail load is a 1/2 ounce of #8.5 at just over 1350 FPS (3" hull load). It dumps small birds very effectively and kills them quickly as long as ranges are short and the velocity does not fall off too much.

I've used extra high velocity 12 gauge loads of 7/8 ounces of #7 shot stocked pheasant at close ranges. It hits them very hard, and kills them very quickly. I suspect a similar 16 gauge 3/4 ounce load of #7 shot would do just as well.

The feral pigeons were decoying exceptionally well that day 20 miles south of Billings....
My buddy went to the truck during a lull and returned with his Remington Model 121. Man did it pattern great with its Rutledge bore! The old Super-X factory loads chronographed 1375fps at 3 feet with their 1/16oz of soft #12 shot. We preferred the soft shot as it mushroomed on impact creating "extra" killing power! A big bull chested male pigeon came in directly over the second fence post out at a measured (later) 18 feet. My good friend centered and "hammered" the big bird stone dead!

We concluded that these loads in this gun was a great load for feral pigeons out to 20 feet range! We were sure now even a large cock pheasant could be dispatched with authority out to 8... maybe even 10 feet while velocities were still very high! We were impressed with these light fast loads for sure!!!!!

Ahh.... Perception is a wonderful thing!

"Data?? We don't need no stinkin' data!"

Slidehammer
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:04 am  Reply with quote

I guess centuries of observation and applied knowledge should never count for anything then. I guess it is better for each new generation to have to relearn everything all over again. Well, it's back to the caves then. Oh well. Rolling Eyes
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:59 am  Reply with quote

Having spent a professional lifetime dealing with people, let me assure you that many (most) of them believe the world began when they were born............ Rolling Eyes
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:43 am  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Yup. As the French say, "If youth knew...if age could." How true. Watch out for the pigeon poop my friend. Wink
Slidehammer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
I guess centuries of observation and applied knowledge should never count for anything then. I guess it is better for each new generation to have to relearn everything all over again. Well, it's back to the caves then. Oh well. Rolling Eyes

What are you doing out in left field 16gg?? Shocked Shocked
I hit the ball to right field!

Sorry I have spoken too deep for you......

I am becoming more and more convinced you are so busy "dreaming up" your answer you read little anyone else has said! I have seen this for months now..

Re-read both these penetration threads again and see "centuries" mentioned more than once! We are not that far apart really, if you weren't blinded by thinking you are always right! Let me break the news to you.... Sometimes you are, sometimes you're not!

Now I do read..... Sometimes I have to really "wade through" some of your oracles of self proclaimed wisdom. But I read it....

You are a great shot... You have told us so many times... Self taught even. You have killed many birds sometimes quoting very high percentages for your kills on an outing. I haven't shot with you..... Wish I could because we could cut to the chase quick! So I'll take your word for it. YOU ARE A GOOD SHOT!

But I'm not too bad myself..... Old as you look; I think I have been at it longer than you.?? So take my comments as having some skill behind them and actually what my previous post was really about!

I have shot many birds at 20 yards and under.... Honestly, I try and let them get past 20 if I can. But tight cover can force your hand. Even with small shot loads and the most open of chokes, I HAVE MORE TROUBLE KILLING THESE UNDER 20 YARD BIRDS TOO WELL! Now you post about needing "high speed" for these close shots (as you have figured out the pellets have a little benefit with fast starts up close) But it contradicts your high skill levels you have posted to us so many times before? Wink So I ask you WHY? WHY these fast loads? Confused Surely not a big pattern is needed by you... the infamous 16gg? Small shot started fast into a big pattern up close may reap a couple inches more around the periphery for you with smaller harder hitting pellets; but I ask again... with your skill? If I have trouble hitting them too hard under 20 with super light loads what might your problem be?????? Laughing Laughing

So the pigeon part of the story was a true story and the pheasant part B.S. It was meant to show you someone can do crazy things and get away with it! You should also know if you get really close the wad without any shot is very deadly..
Tight pattern though! It is recommended to use a 2000fps start though!!!

By the way.... Pigeon poop isn't hard to put up with... You'll know that if you leave the keyboard and go shoot.! The liberals won't let you in that state of your's I guess... Better to let the jets hit'em Rolling Eyes The bull poop you add to the occasional good advice is a lot harder to dodge in reality here! I wonder somtimes if you can even smell it as you type it out?

Slidehammer
robt. harris
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

The irony of your statement, GG, is too thick for me not to comment on.....especially since you have twisted it completely backwards once again.

The penetration data and information posted here within these two threads by Slidehammer does nothing more than surficially portray (using their methods) what early English authorities like J.H. Walsh, Major Burrard, and W.W.Greener confirmed through extensive testing a century-and-a-half ago. Slightly later, Gough Thomas, et. al. came along with more accepted 'physical science' on the matter. Most recently, writer Ron Forsyth did an article or two a few years back on the advantages of the low-velocity/larger shot principle for the taking of game, based on these same accepted principles.

Nothing being "re-learned" by Slidehammer, as you claim ....just apparently in need of constant reiteration here after the unsupported drivel recently being posted of the super killing powers of small payloads of tiny shot pushed to the hyper-velocity of 1500fps (read: high pressures for both you and gun.)

I, also have never seen a gamebird shot within 25 yards -- which is what we are discussing here for the moment - that could not be killed outright with a light 1 oz. payload of adequately-sized shot travelling at 1150-1200 fps. That is, unless there are degrees of dead!!.....And for the smaller sub-gauge payloads of 3/4 to 7/8th oz., I hope you are not relying on your added velocity/striking momentum per pellet to make up for improper choke selection and/or inaccurate pointing. Which leaves us with the nonsense of using super-high velocities to open patterns at short range, which would be better addressed with the right choke or specialized wadding, wouldn't it?

If I'm missing your point in all of this, please say so, as I can see 'no' advantage whatsoever in shooting gamebirds with the smaller shot yielding higher velocities/pressures at any range, much less when it's under 25 yards, as you are presently suggesting. And frankly, I find it unethical at the longer yardages.....given the higher pellet deformation > thus generally fewer pellet strikes on target > and no substantive gain in penetration. Please tell me, what's to like?

Robert
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 am  Reply with quote

My apologies Slidehammer. I mistook your reply for one of your occasionally sharp, sarcastic retorts to someone who disagrees with your viewpoint or is poking some lighthearted fun at your sometimes overly serious demeanor. I think some of your retorts are nothing but hotnecked pigeon poop and I tend to treat them as such. I salso know that wet and dry test media give different results. Wet newsprint or phone books are closer to wet flesh than any dry media I can think of. Ballistic test gel was developed for the same reasons. So I think my observation is valid. My experiences from cleaning hundreds of gamebirds for the table have taught me thus.

Robert, I do like very fast light loads of fine shot out of a .410 for hunting the smaller and slower birds I sometimes hunt in my area. Conditions warrant it. The cover, the relatively slow flushing speed of the birds, how well they hold, etc. all contribute to short range shot well inside 20 yards at times. I've used bigger gauges and bigger shot at times with disasterous effects on the table fare. Birdburger is a good word for it. The tiny but fast stepping .410 loads of finer shot kill cleanly without pureeing the carcasses past being palatable. I don't do it as a stunt, but I do enjoy the added challenge the little bore offers. I also keep its limitations in mind as well when I'm using it.

Much the same applies to stocked pheasant. They are smaller, slower, dumber, and more fragile (for a time) that wild pheasant or experienced, fully grown holdovers. I've used every gauge from 28 through 12 to dump them very effectively. The problem of overkill and ruined carcasses also applies here. Light fast loads of smaller than normal shot at close ranges works very well if conditions warrant it. I've smacked an occasional slow pheasnt well inside 20 yards. I've dumped them inside ten yards. It happens. Anyone who has hunted stocked birds often enough has probably done the same thing. It is not a rarity at all.

I'd never consider using dust shot for any bird hunting. I think it is an irresponsible, inconsiderate stunt, whether it is feral pigeons or any other bird. I don't hate or resent any animal for existing, even if they do become pests. If I am shooting them to thin them out, I'll do it with a more suitable load and gauge. I have shot starlings with a .410 at short ranges with 8.5 or 9 shot. It works very well. I just pass up the shots out past 15 yards or so. It isn't like there are a scarsity of birds and opportunities when their numbers have made them pests. However, if a bigger gauge and load is needed to cleanly kill them, then I'll use it.

Anyone who shoots skeet frequently and who is a practiced shot can dump a game bird at twenty, ten, or even 5 yards. How often do folks break the high or low station 8 targets at a distance of 10 feet. I do it from low gun regularly. I practice it to stay sharp and quick. That is how I got to be where I am. If you think it is a stunt or is not possible, then perhaps you might start practicing the technique. I'll bet you could do it too if you are any kind of decent shot.

I never wait until the bird gets out farther. I've tried it. It does not work for me. I shoot them as they are presented or I pass if the shot is not doable. If I hesitate or don't execute the shot in one smooth move, I miss. I've hunted with folks who have actually complained that I'm too fast off the mark and don't give them a chance. So I'll not shoot rather than screw myself up trying to adapt to their wishes. I'm patient. I'll get another opportunity for a bird with or without that person there. Everyone makes me happy--some by coming and some by going. Very Happy

We all shoot as individuals and do so differently. We all face different conditons when we hunt. We all learn to handle the problems in our own way. I don't expect either of you two to agree with me all the time or any time. I don't give a rat's fanny if either of you think I'm full of bull either. You are both entitled to your opinions. So am I.

I do think you both are taking this thread and yourselves way too seriously. I post here for fun. I do it to help out folks if I can. I' like swapping opinions and info. I'm not about to get my knickers all in a twist over a simple disagereement and get all stuffy or puffed up and start berating folks because they have a different viewpoint or have learned something else from their experiences. But that is just me. I guess you two are entirtled to have fun in your own way whether I understand it or not.

Woodcock is dead on with his very funny and insightful comment. So pardon me if I don't retreat to the cave to rethink all I've learned over the years to either of your satisfactions. Life is too short, and I'm happy with how mine has gone so far. Vive la differance.Very Happy

PS, I could have simply posted, "Razz Razz Razz !!", but that's no fun either. Cool