16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  9 shot size
rla1000
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Wow! Nice to find this site. I'm new here and I don't have my 16 yet but I'm working on it - always wanted one.

Obviously ammo is a big deal - or the lack of availability and choices. I checked the ammo link on the home page and noted B&P and Fiocchi offer no. 9 shot in the US. However, B&P's latest page doesn't list 9 as an offering in 16 gauge (so I ordered 8s for trap - so I'll have it when I get my 16).

Perhaps everybody has discussed the topic of no. 9s already and if you have and can direct me to that discussion I would appreciate it. Otherwise, does anyone know of a source for 9 shot? I'd still like to be able to "legally" shoot skeet against 12 gauge, or just informally among friends regardless of gauge, even if there isn't a sanctioned 16 gauge competition. Thanks!

Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.rstshells.com/shotshells.htm

RST make very good ammunition and has the advantage of loading short shells for classic guns if you happen to settle upon one.
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Hello rla1000,

Please to have you on board.

Question: Since NSSA says no shot smaller than #9 or larger than 7 1/2 is allowed, (page 16 #f. ) and since most clubs allow up to 7 1/2 shot. It looks like #8 shot is perfectly legal in shooting registered skeet.

The limit for 12 gauge is 1 1/8 oz of shot and you can shoot 7/8 ounce of #8 if you want for the 12 gauge event.

The 16 gauge is NOT allowed in the 20 guage or smaller event.

Y'all agree??

Mike
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

At the Missouri Vintage Skeet shoot, run under NSSA rules, they stated: Shot size and loads must be no larger than #7 ½ . NSSA rules apply to both factory and reloaded shells. 16 gauge shells are limited to 1 ounce shot.

I didn't see a velocity/DE number, but would guess 1200fps might be a top speed allowed. Anything from 7.5's to 9's would work well enough, the smaller the better.

I haven't shot a 16 in a 12ga event, yet, but am finding reloads to work well enough to consider it. If it starts a trend, I don't see it gaining too much!

kgb
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:21 pm  Reply with quote

1 oz. out of a heavy 16 clays gun seems like it would be infinitely more comfortable to shoot than 1 or 1 1/8 oz. out of a light 12.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
rla1000
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:27 am  Reply with quote

Thanks all for the welcome, and taking time to reply

Thanks Twice Barrel for the source info on RST, excellent information to have.

And thank you to skeettx and kgb for straightening me out on shot size and weight allowance information for skeet. I had been told differently by someone who I thought knew. I've only shot trap and sporting clays on a pretty informal basis. I've really been away from hunting and shooting for many years now and just getting back into it, but will want to shoot skeet at some point and follow the rules, which I will now endeavor to actually read! Thanks.

ALMODUX
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

B&P uses Euro shot sizes, so your B&P #8s could be #9s? I know my B&P #3s are American #4s. Very Happy