16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Shotmakers-revisted
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:01 am  Reply with quote

Any new comments or questions on making your own shot?I have now made about two tons of the stuff but would welcome all comments/ideas/suggestions Exclamation
SageRat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

All I know is, that the shot does shoot well on sporting targets. I have shot several hundred pounds of it.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:42 pm  Reply with quote

TWO TONS?! Well Hoashooter I'd really like to red YOUR comments. Most of us have seen these things but I have never really considered owning one despite having a small foundry here for decoy anchors, weights,etc.
Seriously what do you think of the things?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Three of us-ALL heavy volume shooters,bought two of the double makers from littleton and two singles used.We melt down roughly 1000 lbs of wheel weights,scrap lead,etc. at a time.These are made ingot one lb ingots.Next step is to melt 'em down. Our coolant system is a Very modified system which helps insure uniform shot size.That was our biggest struggle.With the three of us working together the labor is not too bad.The only real killer is cold weather-we do this outside of a garage and the cold adversely affects the pre-production melt.We are working on this now Twisted Evil Our cost per 25 lb is roughly four bucks.
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:33 am  Reply with quote

That is pretty interesting. I'd guess that the raw melt mix has adequate antimony due to the inclusion of wheel weight metal to make what most of us think of as 'hard shot'. How about pellet uniformity? I have seen,but didn't pay much attention to, the ads for shotmakers and seem to recall that there were various size 'nozzles' provided.
I know you have other things to do but as you can, please provide additional details. e.g. do you use graphite to improve flowability, etc.?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:35 pm  Reply with quote

We blend different hardness together.Wheel weights alone are ok-but make for very heavy,hard shot.We are skeet shooters and don't really need pellets that are indestructable.As far as roundness and uniformity it can be done but expect to fine tune {play} with several things.Even the amount of lead in the melting pan influences size of the shot.The nozzles are not directly related to shot size.Kinda like a full choke throwing a modified pattern.The only way to know is to actually try it.
Dang,offhand I can't think of all the tricks we have learned.As far as graphite-yes on the 410 ga to prevent bridging in that tiny drop tube.Takes a flat screwdriver tipful for 25 lbs-talk about economy!!!!I don't let this bother me-any 410 loader out there has had factory 9's bridge.If I was more knowledgable I would post pics of the operation.Or if you lived local you could watch for a small admission fee-HA Laughing
woodcock
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

Don't laugh, to see what you boys are doing would be worth admission. I've been at the 16ga.and reloading thing for a L-O-N-G time, over 50 years now and new 'stuff' is always worth knowing about.
As for the 'tweaking' to get the desired results, I can relate. Hot lead can be just full of surprises. As we say down here--"Ya have to hold your mouth just right."
crowkiller
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

Hey hoeshooter.
What are you using for the coolant? I can not remember what I used.My shotmaker has been in storage for 15 years.With the price of shot now time to start production again.
wscato
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:28 pm  Reply with quote

Also just wondering if your cost has gone up since the increase in the price of lead? I've been thinking of getting one of the Shot Makers and with the price of lead at what it is it might make more since to get one now.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

Water soluble oil-------most if the lead is free or traded for--local market is 55 cents a pound---trash included-----------Current cost is still well under five bucks a 25 lb bag-------------All components are on the rise----This will force many out of the shooting scene Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
crowkiller
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:41 am  Reply with quote

What brand of oil are you using? And what ratio of oil and water? I think I used 2 gallons oil and 3 gal. water. I even found all of my sizing screen/boxes.