16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  What's the skinny on longshot?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

Not being a powder junkie, I don't really know the characteristics of all the different powders. I've used longshot, green dot, and universal clays, and haven't noticed a heck of a lot of difference between them to be frank. They all go bang and seem fast enough and are fairly clean burning. Longshot data seems to suggest the highest velocities and lower pressures per given charge weight. Why then isn't it used more often? What are its downsides? I've heard it kicks more and is louder, but I haven't noticed that myself. Hmm...

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
dukxdog
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have used Longshot in my 20ga target loads for several years. Performed well there.

I just bought a little 16ga double that I load paper hulls low pressure using Longshot. I've been loading 3/4oz of #8 shot for the target loads I've been shooting here at my house. I have 4 automatic traps here set up for different targets. We shot today and I consistantly broke birds further than I thought I would(out to 50yds) with good authority. My loads are about 1200fps. My gun weighs 5 3/4# and recoil is minimal. I've shot a few 7/8oz loads at same 1200 and I see little difference. I haven't tried any 1oz loads for the gun yet but they will be with Longshot too since the pressures stay below 6500psi.
Tijeras_Slim
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:59 am  Reply with quote

I've used one of the BP recipes for 2 1/2" shells with Longshot. I needed something with a bit more "oomph" than my pet Herco load to cycle old A-5's.

Well it works, it also just about cycled my teeth out. Smile The guys on my squad were practically making bets I'd be bleeding out the ears before the round was over.

It's also loud.

When I use it up, that's the end of it.