16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  refurbishing vs restoring
mod11rem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Mod 11 Rem 20 ga. It was given to me by a very dear friend so I have to keep it. Problem is it's a beater. I replaced the main spring and true to mod 11 lore, it functions perfectly. However, it's ugly Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad No blue left anywhere, no real rust but signs of it. mirror bores, stock worn with a crack in shoulder stock. It had an old shot out poly choke on it so I had a gun smith cut that off and put a bead on. It's now about 22" cyl bore, death on quail and doves. I'd just like to get it looking better w/o the cost of full restoration. I always hunt with my 16 but often carry this on as a back up. What would be a reasonable price to have it re-blued, stock refinished and slicked up in general. I use it as a loaner for those who hunt with me that want to shoot a 20 and don't have one. It's kind of like driving a Dodge, it feels good but I just don't want to be seen in it. I fully realize that if I spend $200 or so on it, I've still got a $250 gun. I just don't know if I'm talking about $50 or $500 here. any thoughts?? mod11rem

16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

Your probably on the right track, you will have a lot more into the gun than its worth if you have it re blued and the stock refinished.
Maybe try to do it yourself, Birchwood Casey makes everything you need for blueing and wood refinishing.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:40 pm  Reply with quote

Brownell's sells everything you need.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:11 am  Reply with quote

mod11, I would use some decent 5 minute epoxy to fill the crack in the wood thoroughly to preserve its integrity. you can drill a 1/16th" hole just past the end to stop it from traveling first. Then a little steel wool and some judicious steaming with a wet cotton rag and a red hot putty knife will take out most of the deeper dings. A rub down with steel wool, followed by some lightly applied, well rubbed in coats of tung oil will protect the wood and give it a pleasing tone. Any heavy dents or scratches on the metal can be smoothed out with some sanding with fine grit and crocus cloth. Then a light application of cold blue, rubbed off with steel wool and WD40 to remove the blue but leave the gray will help match the patina of the surrounding steel. A couple of seasons in the field with an occasional rub down with an oily rag will have the old gun looking worn but well cared for.

To me, nothing looks more right than an old gun worn smooth from the hands and care of a deadly shot over many seasons in the game fields. If you shoot it well, let your game bag speak for you and the gun. Don't worry about the new pups out there with their shiny new toys. They will be watching you and hoping that someday they look as competant and as at ease with their gun.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:47 am  Reply with quote

if you like the gun don't worry about what its worth your not going to sell it anyway. spend $300 to $500 on it make it look really nice you'll feel good and have given the old girl a 2nd life.
woodcock
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

Gotta' go with GG here. Vintage guns look best (to me) when they still appear to be vintage---well worn, well cared for and fondly displayed complete with some (minor) badges of service.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

I BOUGHT A 1915 FOX STERLINGWORTH (16 GA OF COURSE) THAT WAS IN A BARN FOR WHO KNOWS HOW LONG. METAL AND WOOD WERE SOUND,FINISH WAS DESTROYED. I SENT THE GUN TO A GENTLEMAN NAMED BILL SIMMEN IN WESTERN PA. HE RESTORED THE GUN TO FACTORY NEW CONDITION. I NOW HUNT AND SHOOT THAT GUN WITH PRIDE. I GAVE THAT GUN ANOTHER 100 YEARS TO DO WHAT IT WAS BUILT TO DO. BEATS PAYING $21,000 FOR A GALAZAN FOX. IF THE GUN IS LESS THAN 60-70% AND IT IS NOT BEING USED BECAUSE ITS UGLY GO AHEAD AND FIND A GOOD GUN SMITH TO RESTORE THE OLD GIRL. MOST OLD GUNS ARE MADE BETTER THAN ANYTHING YOU CAN BUY TODAY AND A GOOD RESTORATION JOB MAKES THEM GOOD AS NEW. THEY WILL LAST ANOTHER LIFETIME OF FUN. WHAT THE GUN IS WORTH TO YOU IS THE QUESTION.ON THE OTHER HAND IF YOU HAVE A WELL WORN OLD CLASSIC THAT YOUR PROUD OF I SAY CARRY IT. ITS A TOSS UP DO WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL RIGHT AND GETS THE GUN OUT OF THE CABINET THE MOST.
mod11rem
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:43 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think I'm going to go w 16gg on this one as I like the look and feel of a well worn but well cared for gun. I may try a little do-it-your self refurb on it. For the record, I took my mod 11 16 on a quail hunt yesterday and 13 of the 16 birds went into my bag. This one is well worn and well caredfor and did the job. If I can just get my old 20 to look as good as my 16, I'll be happy and won't be ashamed to use it as a loaner. Something about these old hump backs and me, the birds just seem to fold up. I only missed one bird. it was a single and flew so low straight out over the dogs that I pulled up and shot anyway by mistake. I was afraid I'd hit one of the dogs. I don't really know how I can be so good in the field and so mediocre on the trap or skeet range. maybe it's because I was raised a meat hunter and that old "make the first shot count" instinct takes over. My uncle wouldn't let me hunt with a repeater until I demonstrated that I could kill quail consistently with a single barrel. good training I guess. The other guy with me shot a whole box of shells and hit 3 birds. maybe it's all in the head (or the hump).

thanks again for advice. mod11rem

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:57 am  Reply with quote

There is an old saying about shotgunning, "If you think, you stink." it means the act of wingshooting must be done automatically, without concious thought. Its like throwing a ball or hitting one with a bat. we must be practiced enough, and confident enough, to just swing through and pull the trigger without trying to analize the angle or the speed of the target.

Some folks wingshoot on birds as natural as breathing. But at a skeet or trap range, they have the time between shots to start thinking about it and the doubts and fear of missing in front of the other guys takes over. Just react to the target as you would a game bird...instantly and without thought. Think about the shot before you mount the gun. Just before calling for the target, empty your head, loosly focus your eyes out where it will first be seen, call for it with a firm confident call, and blow the thing to powder without doubt. Easier said than done...I know. But that is what it takes...and all it takes. All wingshooting is an act of faith. Have some in yourself and the target will be broken. 16GG.
mod11rem
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

16gg, I think you're right. I get too set for the shot and try too hard. yesterday, we were just standing there talking after picking up a bird and one flushed about 3 yards out, I had my gun slung backwards over my shoulder. Since the bird was closest to me, I just slung it forward and shot for a clean kill without even thinking about it. maybe I need more of this attitude at the range. I actually won a fun shoot one time... again, nobody knew me at this one and I was the guy from out of town so I wasn't worried about any coffee shop talk after it was over. Of course, I was the only one there with a 16 and it happened to be my trusty mod 11... later mod11rem