16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  SHOT Show
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

clayflingythingy wrote:
I would second a vote for a 16 gage Red Label or Gold Label but don't hold your breath. Several years ago I actually wrote Ruger suggesting a 16 gage RL IF it could be built on the current 20 gage frame and come in lighter than the 28 inch 20 gage. To my surprise I actually received a written reply from Ruger that said, in effect, we don't believe anyone would buy such a gun. I don't know if Ruger perceives enuff interest to build such a gun. I would think a 16 would sell at least as well, if not better, than the 28 gage RL.

Interesting story and I totally agree with your conclusion. I think a 16 would sell just as well if not better than the 28gauge RL. IMO, having shot all of the RL's (I desperately wanted a 20ga RL back when they first came out and I was in HS), I have to say that the only one I would get of the current production would be a 28ga. Even the 20 gauge that I lusted after is too heavy and didn't shoot well for me, which was a real disappointment when I could finally afford one and only to discover that I didn't do well with it.

However, the 28 was a great little gun to shoot. Ruger has it on the right size frame and it has a good balance and weight to the gun despite it's smaller size. A similarly measured 16 gauge would be very viable proposition. I for one would be very interested and I think alot of other people would be as well. I wonder if there is any way to change the minds of the powers that be over at Ruger?
mod11rem
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:56 am  Reply with quote

brdhunt, great list already and I hope you can get all the answers. If it is convenient, would you ask the Rem guys why they dropped the Rem Express load in 9's. I can still buy it in 4,6,7.5's but no 9's. This was a fast hard hitter and 9's were perfect for quail and doves. That little bit of extra shot at this faster speed is a really great load and would routinely kill those "high fast fliers" in the dove field that most guys missed on a regular basis. It seems to me that if they're still produceing the EXpress in all these other shot sizes, that 9's wouldn't be too much to ask for. I get good performance with the 7.5's, maybe I'm just spoiled (or nostalgic)?? I still think it's the most effective factory load I've ever used and they seem to perform exceptionally well in my Mod 11 w/ 22" IMP Cyl.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

16GG is correct about the false side-plates on the Marlin pseudo-LC. Disappointing description.
Double amen on a 16g. Gold Label. I'm trying hard to buy American and as discussed on another thread, American made, engineered, and managed Ruger is doing great. I'm still looking for a 16g. Trojan or Sterlingworth but probably would buy a 16g. Gold Label (with SK/IC/MOD/FULL choke tubes) if available. What a perfect all-around upland gun that would be.
DON'T FORGET THE 7/8 OZ TARGET/DOVE/QUAIL LOADS!
brdhnt
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

Gentleman,

Thanks very much for all of the input.
The Marlin LC was on another list to be checked out. I want to find out who makes it for Marlin and handle one.

Merkel is now being imported by H-K USA. I will be meeting with them about the Merkel line.

I did the review of the Gold Label for Shotgun Sports and my editor made it the cover piece, so I have a very good relationship with Ruger right now and since their Gold Label weighed in at 6 pounds five ounces on the one I tested in 12 gauge if they make one in 16, it should be right around 6 pounds. They are supposed to have a 20 gauge at the SHOT show. I will talk to them about a 16 an report back.

I know Wolf ammunition was researching the idea of putting out some 16 gauge ammo. I will talk to them and see where they are on that and again I will stress that if they bring out some 7/8th ounce stuff they will have the market cornered. That's the kind of stuff that reps like to hear, that they will have a monopoly.

I talked to the rep from CZ last week. They will have the 16 gauge CZ's at the show. He also told me that they are expanding their facilities to make their line of SxS and O/u guns since they are proving to be their most popular and the demand has exceeded their facilities right now, but they are expanding. I will find out how much and their delivery schedule.

I will be checking this post until I leave Wednesday morning, so if you have any more ideas, let me know.

"I'll know I'm in Heaven when God comes walking down the road carrying a 16 gauge and followed by a couple of Brittanies and says: 'Let's go hunting!'

TB
________
Hotels In Mexico

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:52 am  Reply with quote

If CZ's shotguns are made by Huglu, why would a rep make a statement such as:

They will have the 16 gauge CZ's at the show. He also told me that they are expanding their facilities to make their line of SxS

Makes one wonder if the rep. knows where their shotguns come from.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:19 am  Reply with quote

It could be that the CZ rep was refering to Huglu expanding their facilities. Most company reps avoid the questions about where their guns are sourced. We are supposed to assume that if it says CZ, it is made by CZ. There is also the possibility that CZ has invested capital into Huglu to expand the facilities that make their contracted line. If so, they will retain the right to claim the gun is manufactured by CZ because they now have a vested interest in the facility.

Winchester did this with Kodensa which was a division of Nikko Arms. Nikko/Kodensa made the 101 for Winchester as well as the 23 and the Parker Repros. They also made the Classic Guns line after Olin bowed out.

Nikko also made Miida, Golden Eagle, and Nikko's own line of guns as well as guns for Sears Roebuck and a few other small contracted lines. A lot of folks assume that Miroku made guns for Winchester. They never did.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

Hey BRDNHT: What kind of shotgun was the Diety carrying in your vision of heaven?!?! (this ought to get something going Laughing)
brdhnt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

RevDoc

I won't tell, but it did have two barrels.

Birdhunt
________
Vicodin Rehab Forum

Last edited by brdhnt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Well He did give us two eyes SxS! (and we'll give you a pass on His questionable choice of bird dog-He's always had a soft spot for the hopeless and helpless.)
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Well He did give us two eyes SxS! (and we'll give you a pass on His questionable choice of bird dog-He's always had a soft spot for the hopeless and helpless.)

Hey now Rev, lets not be putting down my favorite breed of hunting dog. Slander on the human all you want, but not the dog. Nothing like a Brittany. Talk about versatile and smart. I will take them over lunkhead pointers, clueless setters, and german wirey thingys any day. I think it sounded like a perfect dream to me. *wink*
nossman
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:41 am  Reply with quote

All good ideas.

Have you seen this thread? Ithaca's back!
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=814

How about stopping by their booth for a little support. Maybe see if they have any interest in producing any doubles (Flues, SKB's, etc.)?
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Terry. Great ideas from all. Adding my two cents. Hope you get it in time. We need a reasonably affordable readily available adaptable wad that can be used to load 7/8 oz. loads. This should be high on the list in practicality for most of us. There are wads and loads available for the most common 1oz. and 1 1/8 field and hunting loads but as evidenced by the many posts here, there is a great need for the ability to econnomically load light practice and target loads. The more and cheaply we can shoot and the more often we shoot, the more guns and components we will buy and use. That's good for the whole industry.

By far, even for those of us blessed to live in good bird country (of which I do not except for some fair dove hunting) we all expend many many more rounds on clay targets than feathers annually and most all prefer light loads to do so. The ammo companies know this and meet the overall demand but unfortunately not in 16 guage.

I would hope someone comes out with such a wad wether it be a bigger company or Claybusters or the "Duster" guys. The WAA16 wad predates my 16 ga. efforts and I don't know how it would work in today's available hulls without using filler. Let them know we'd buy them like candy and see which company wants to corner the market. I'd suggest we concentrate on a wad for use in the most readily available hulls which are current like the Remington and possibly Fiocchi. My experience has been that the Remingtons hold up the best.

A wad that could adapt to both 7/8 and 1oz with no fill like some of the current 12 ga. offerings would be great. Perhaps a 3/4 and 7/8 combo too, but I know I'm dreaming here now.

Thanks for your effort in getting the word out for all of us on the many good suggestions.
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:35 am  Reply with quote

I know I'm really late with this idea and really,really dreaming in thinking this could happen with the market the way it is but.....how about a compression formed durable hull thats better than what we have available now?

It sure would be nice to be able to load efficiently with hulls that last as long as the plethora of 12's and 20's available to us. The Europeans have it right although they obviously don't or can't use the 16 for clays due to the same restrictions facing us.

We all know the 16 does many jobs as well as a 12 or 20 and carries and balances better than most any gun. It's a shame we can't utilize them to their fullest pontential.

Thanks again Terry.
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:58 am  Reply with quote

Hey brdhunt, If you see some one from Nobel Sports, you might ask them if they have a 15/16 oz load for the 16 gauge. A couple years ago www.gzanders.com listed a Nobel Sports 16 ga. load of 15/16 oz shot. They never had it in stock and then it was taken off their web site listing. That would be a great lite load. I don't know what happened with that listing. Since there really isn't a 7/8 oz load available, this might be a close second.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:52 am  Reply with quote

KyBrad: My new setter pup would be insulted if he wasn't busy pulling/digging up the drip irrigation system out of the yard while Gambel's quail stroll about un-pointed Confused