16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  What is the 16 gauge trap commander's steel payload?
nickyb567
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the Trap Commander wad? It says you can load a 1.25 oz payload into a 16 ga shell. I was wondering if this load amount changes with steel shot? Thanks very much (only answer if you have actual experience with reloading)

huntNnut
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes the amount will change to approx. 3/4 to 7/8 oz. of steel. However, the Trap Commander wad was not designed for steel shot. I think you will find that BPI has wad(s) for steel shot in the 16 ga.

The Trap Commander wad WILL allow the steel shot to rub through the wad petals and possibly mar the bore of your shotgun. The larger the steel pellet the worse the rub through and marring will be.

In my experience, with steel shot in the 16ga., there are far better choices for non toxic shot, Nice Shot, Kent TM, Bismuth, etc. They will perform better and not harm the nice shiny bright bore(s) of your 16 ga. shotgun.

spr310
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:01 am  Reply with quote

Here is the link to BPI's steel shot wad.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=222VP80
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:01 am  Reply with quote

BPI makes a wad specifically for steel and Hevi-shot and that wad is MM16. There are a few recipes using SG16 wads for Bismuth, but I know of no other BPI wad that is used for steel. Buy BPI's "The 16 Gauge Manual," for all of their loads and related components.
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:08 am  Reply with quote

Many of BPI's loads are very high pressure and I recommend staying away from those recipes that list high pressures. My preference in powders for steel 16 gauge loads is Blue Dot and SR 4756. BPI published pressures using the above mentioned powder do not exceed 11000 psi and are closer to 10500 psi.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:33 am  Reply with quote

I personally do not trust ANY of BPI's data. Too many conflicts between their 'data' and the LPG's tested results. YMMV
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:22 am  Reply with quote

BPI's MM16 wad has been replaced by the VP-80 wad. The only other place to get steel loads is Lymans book. I have used a lot of BPI's recipes with no problems. Keep hearing about these problems, but no posted results. The only posted results I remember were with components changed.
jschultz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:30 am  Reply with quote

I haven't tried the VP 80, but will place an order and see how they work.
Re BPI's loads, as stated before, some appear a bit high to my thinking and I see no reason to push the pressure limits when there are so many good low pressure loads that move the shot at acceptable fps speeds. I am not a fan of small shot and hyper velocity and acceptable to me is 1200-1200 fps for lead shot and steel in the 1300 fps range. I hunt waterfowl over decoys and pattern at the ranges that I shoot. I also pattern test my upland loads and shoot over a pointing dog.
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am  Reply with quote

I don't use steel shot for any game except crows and that is only because I have some steel shells left over from previous years. Some target ranges near or on water require steel but I would not use steel on game unless there were no other options or high volume shooting where the cost of other non lead alternatives becomes prohibitive.
spr310
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

jschultz wrote:
I haven't tried the VP 80, but will place an order and see how they work.
Re BPI's loads, as stated before, some appear a bit high to my thinking and I see no reason to push the pressure limits when there are so many good low pressure loads that move the shot at acceptable fps speeds. I am not a fan of small shot and hyper velocity and acceptable to me is 1200-1200 fps for lead shot and steel in the 1300 fps range. I hunt waterfowl over decoys and pattern at the ranges that I shoot. I also pattern test my upland loads and shoot over a pointing dog.
'

I agree with you. I've tried some of those high velocity small loads and find they do not pattern well for me. I also duck hunt over decoys. I will admit my duck hunting is with a 12 gauge. I have used steel over decoys with no problem. As long as it keeps knocking down the ducks I'll continue to use it. My upland loads are all in the 1200fps range. All 16 gauge. 7/8oz for chukars, 1oz even up to 1 1/4oz for pheasants. #7 shot up to #4. My 2 1/2" loads are 7/8oz using the SG 16 wad from BPI. All roll crimped then. I guess the DR 16 fellas do not appreciate me saying you can get a 3/4oz load with that wad.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

Good evening Spr310 , I sure hope we all know we can get a 21 gram load out of the DR16 , for that is exactly what I designed it for .

That is almost exclusivly what I shoot , although I have been playing around with the 18 gram and 19.5 gram loads for fun .

Glad you found that out and now you can visit on the subject .

Regards Charles
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:01 am  Reply with quote

I agree that the TC wad from BPI doesn't seem to be designed to shoot steel and maybe too thin to protect barrels from scrub.

Not trying to steal the thread but this info seems pertinant.

There are a couple of loads published in the 4th edition Lyman reloading book on page 352 that I'm going to be trying when I find the time; yeah right, dont hold your breath.

Both employ the BPI 12ga Tuff wad. Looking at the spec's on the wad it actully has a 0.665" OD and it seems to me that it would work great as a 16ga wad for many different applications beyond these 2 recipes. One uses HS-6 and the other SR 4756.

The recipes use a fold crimp but I can't see why a roll crimp wouldn't work.

If anyone has the time to properly mess around with these loads/wads I'd sure like to hear how they work in the real world; I just dont have the time.

Take care, Mike