16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Speed vs. quality
robt. harris
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:20 am  Reply with quote

I occasionally sense that some of our current wad offerings,... and no one specific product in mind, are designed more for ease and speed of reloading than for actual down range results. A couple of examples might be factory stitched wad petals and slightly undersized over-powder cup portions.

I know some reloaders may actually prefer this, as I once knew a fellow that refused to use Windjammer wads because the eight pliable petals took some tending when inserting them in the wad guide, even though that wad threw some beautiful patterns out of his gun. In his case, it was just too much trouble, which is fine by me.

I'm obsessive-compulsive enough to where I like loading card and fiber wads a good part of the time and can tell you that they give up nothing in pattern efficiency when compared to today's one-piece plastics......they just take more time.....provided you have it.

Any thoughts on this, and do many, if any, of you make the effort to tailor your loads using the older technology?

All Best,

Rob

P.S. Am hoping to have some word, good or bad, in the next week or two for you folks re: Lyman's reproduction of their vintage roll-crimping head.
huntNnut
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:14 am  Reply with quote

I have never reloaded for either clay target or hunting because a wad was easier to manipulate during the loading procedure. The patterns and field performance have always been the final word as to what set of components are used.

I have in the past used a lot of new old stock Alcan reloading components. The results were fine but, the pattern results were about the same as a one piece plastic unit.

With the 16, I was having a difficult time finding the Alcan components and for target loads, time spent was getting ridiculous and when the results are the same or worse, I stopped with the gas seal, cushion wad and wrappers.

One piece wads do everything that the old components do and most of the time, for me they do it better. As far as the wad petals being attached or not, who cares, it doesn't affect patterns. I think it is just a whole line of nonsense when I see that posted.

99% of the hunters/shooters aren't as good as the ammunition we are shooting. The reasons reloaders use components are varied and are normally driven by some reason (availability, price, they ran a 25 with it ONCE, the local top shooter uses it, etc) rather than pure performance.

Just my opinion.

jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Robt Harris wrote,"I'm obsessive-compulsive enough to where I like loading card and fiber wads a good part of the time and can tell you that they give up nothing in pattern efficiency when compared to today's one-piece plastics......they just take more time.....provided you have it."
I take the time for my all brass hunting loads and get the best patterns from card/fiber/Mylar strips. Ya gotta ta see it ta believe it! Beautiful, concentric patterns with evenly displaced shot. I believe when you know what is coming out of your barrels you will gain confidence in your shooting skills.
huntNnut
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 am  Reply with quote

jshultz,

When you say evenly distributed, concentric patterns, what are you referring to?

Evenly distributed throughout the 30" circle?

Evenly distributed between a 20"core and the 30" annular ring?

Just an observation by sight, or a mathematical calculation?

Central thickening?

Using silhouette over lays?

I simply use a core to annular ratio of 1.5 to 1 as a minimum, I would rather see it around 1.8 and higher. With a given choke at a distance that I feel the game or target will be taken at.

ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Robt. I am a junk loader. I have never met a pattern board I like. My sole objective is a downed bird, followed at a long distance by a broken clay, but if it is a pain in the butt, I might abandon the load.

I choose loads based on "my favorite" recommendations, load 50-100 and if they down a bird, or break a clay I use it until my supply of components run low..... at which time I peruse my list of "favourite loads" and go again.

To that end I even hate resetting my press. I have bought a second press, for clays so that I can keep my hunting load set. Again, I am a junk loader to the core. Come to think of it, maybe a lazy junk loader. hmmm

I am also a cheap loader so if someone says 3/4 oz works, and it only costs me a cherrio to try... count me in. To your suggestion that some prefer ease over quality,....count me in.

I am relatively new to this game, and am clinging to the belief that if I point it in about the right place good things happen..... weighted heavily towards a good point vs any load consideration.

Ajax.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:20 am  Reply with quote

I look for performance over ease of loading.

jschultz
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:00 am  Reply with quote

huntNnut,
When I say evenly distributed, concentric patterns I am describing what I see on the pattern board and not a mathematical calculation. I believe that barrels are unique and some loads leave holes with the shot dispersed heavier or lighter in any given quadrant, and/or actually change what one would expect from the choke used.
Using all brass shells from Rocky Mountain Cartridge, each of my new loads are patterned at the distances that I think I will be shooting, with the shot weight/size used that I deem appropriate for the quarry,be it over a pointing dog or a flushing dog. I shoot several shells out of each barrel,and distances ranging from 25-40 yards, changing the paper with each shot. I examine the pattern by looking at it's shape, how evenly the shot is dispersed and when I'm satisfied, the load is a keeper. I repeat the process and in the case of pheasant, I increase the pay load for my tighter barrel by 1/8 oz and the shot size by 1/2 (#5 1/2 instead of #6). The extra size and quantity of the #51/2 shot is about equal in pellet count to the #6 load with a little extra down range energy. Using pheasant as an example, I then step off 25 yards and shoot the board with my Imp cyl barrel and observe the pattern. Next, and without changing paper I step off 40 yards and shoot the mod barrel. I then observe the pattern and with my favorite loads I can clearly see the overlap, albeit a useless bit of data. I'm sure many will think that my activities are over obsessive, but I want to obtain the best possible patterns for the distances that i shoot and I especially want to know what is coming out of each barrel. I also enjoy the activity. Well huntNnut that is probably more than you wanted to know.
huntNnut
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:20 am  Reply with quote

jschultz,

I don't think you are obsessive, I am one of those guys that count pellet holes, Minimum of 3 patterns at whatever distance, when I get down to selecting a specific load.

I might look at it a bit different, as I just want a nice even core density. What happens outside the 20" core, is none of my concern. That is golden BB territory and since I am neither a betting man or particularly lucky as it relates to gambling, I stick to what I know I can hit with.

Then after the pattern board, I put some #7 1/2's in the load and see how the clay targets break.

See, now that is obsessive. Laughing Laughing

I also don't get very tied up patterning target loads and loads for quail and woodcock, as to me they are the same. I only pattern loads that use the medium to slow burning powders and heavier (1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz.) shot payloads. I used to pattern target loads and found that I was wasting time. (I am, however, going to look at how the loads I sent to Precision with the DR16 wad look, just for fun.)

That is about it, Thanks for your reply.