16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16g #8 or #9 shot factory dove load
shinbone
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a factory dove load with #8 or #9 shot? I see lots of #7.5 shot hunting loads available, but no #8 or #9. I dove hunt in citrus groves with the speedy little rocket birds passing over my head at tree height. I've found the smaller shot seems works best for my situation.

Also, I would like to handload and have handloaded in the past. Unfortunately, I live in a small townhouse and don't have the space for handloading right now.

Thanks.

--shinbone

Citori_16
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:04 am  Reply with quote

Try to find Fiocchi shells. I can't find anything local smaller than #8's, but I believe they manufacture #9's for the 16 gauge. You'll probably have to order a flat online somewhere like BPI, Prec. Reloading, Grafs, Able Ammo, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc.
shinbone
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:22 am  Reply with quote

Citori_16 - Thanks for the tip. I see the 2009 Fiocchi catalog shows a "Field" load with 1-1/8 oz of #8 shot at 1185 fps; and a "Dove/Game & Target" load with 1 oz of either #8 or #9 shot at 1165 fps.

I wonder how much of "real world" difference 1/8 oz of shot makes?

--shinbone

jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:41 am  Reply with quote

chinbone,
My hunting loads are in all brass hulls and loaded with small hand tools. The hand tools will load plastic and paper hulls and the tools (Lee Loader) take up very little room and come in a box that is approximately 5”x4”x1”. I bought tools for 12, 16 and 28 gauge and the 12 gauge set cost $9 many years ago. The Lee Loader tool set comes with everything necessary, sans components and hulls. I bought my 16 gauge set on Ebay. www.rockymountaincartridge.com offers a set of tools for brass hulls which may work for paper and plastic.
Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 am  Reply with quote

Don't give me that!! I reloaded for 30 years in a 990 sq ft condo in Alexandria, VA. You throw a plastic sheet down on the carpet in the livingroom (this to please the Wife), set the coffee table on it. MEC loader bolted to a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, clamped to the corner of the coffee table with three C-clamps. Spread your components around, plop your butt on the floor, lean your back against the front of the sofa, turn on the TV, and start loading.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Then, after you've turned on the TV and started loading, make sure your cat walks across the table and spills primers and shot all over the floor. Better yet, to really get into the hunting spirit, clean your gun while you're watching a hunting show and then make sure you get oil drips on the carpet. Wives love that!! Laughing

Awesome.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Along the same lines of the above posts, don't break the dining room table when you forcefully remove primers. I speak from experience. Shocked
Jim
jschultz
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Back when I was a young'n I had my own reloading station in my bedroom which was in the basement and those of you that reload know that on occasion there may be a shot/powder spill. My folks were having the carpet cleaned and it was dinner time and we were all gathered around the table. The carpet cleaner guy came running up from the basement all excited with a handful of shot. "Look what what in the carpet in the bedroom." My reloading activities were relocated to the shop. Sad
Art Sorrentino
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Go to the Bass Pro web site, click on hunting, click on ammunition, click on shotgun ammo., go to page 4, click on 16 ga, #8, quantity 10 and go to checkout. About $80 plus shipping.

BTW, I use 7/8 oz 8's in Arizona and it drops them in their tracks.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Researcher

My early story was quite the same, I used a military trunk (foot locker) in which to store all the stuff, and had holes in the top to attach the various presses with wing nuts.

For a floor covering I used a parachute from an expended aerial flare. Not only did we use the parachute for reloading but also spread it out on the floor for the kids to sit on while they ate popcorn Very Happy
Easy to shake outside for the birds to eat.

Great memories

Mike
GF1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I like #7.5 for doves; less shot in the birds. I really don't like 9s, as there are WAY too many shot in the meat. 8s are OK, but 7.5 better, IMO.
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:18 am  Reply with quote

Hey shinbone, do you have a shooting club or hunting preserve near by? This may be a streatch but you might be able to use their facility to do your loading. Put all your stuff in a big rubbermaid tote and pick an evening to go load a bunch of stuff up. It may be worth a couple of calls, if they sell powder or shot etc. they may see it as a win win; you get to load they get to sell. Doesn't hurt to ask.

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:45 am  Reply with quote

I use Federal #8s for sporting clays in 16ga. You can get them from a number of places on the net if they aren't avail. at a store near you.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:25 am  Reply with quote

shinbone wrote:

I would like to handload and have handloaded in the past. Unfortunately, I live in a small townhouse and don't have the space for handloading right now.

Are you old enough to remember the commercial, "There's always room for J-E-L-L-O." Laughing

Where there's a will, there's a way.

DDawg
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Guys, I thought that I was the only one that could get in that much trouble with the wife. You know what happens when 1 1/8oz of #9s get spilled on a hardwood floor? You will be picking up shot for years. Even in the other end of the house. Shinbone, 1/8oz of shot will not make a bit of difference at the ranges you are shooting. And, #9s are big enough. I have hunted in grove also. I gave up! Not fast enough and if I did hit one they were like mush. Good luck. Thirty days and counting. DD