16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Where to start?
TankerT
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:50 am  Reply with quote

Please forgive me if this has been covered already, but there is so much information over so many posts, I'm finding it overwhelming.

I am interested in getting into reloading due to the crazy high cost of 16 ga shells. (And, because all I have are 16 gauge shotguns... and I refuse to get anything else... mainly due to family tradition...)

Where can I find out what to buy, how to, etc? I don't have a ton of money to start, but I know it will be cheaper than continuing to purchase commercial shells.

Thanks,

JT
birddog
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Tanker,
You stated of starting into the handloading but didn't say how many rounds per year. If the venture is hunting and occasional target shooting I'd go with the Mec sizemaster, solid press and easy to learn. If your shooting 500 rounds a week then the grabber or 9000 would be more to your liking. Some of the guys here go straight to the top claiming not enough time to sit around and pull the lever. I will probably get a new grabber someday but ofr now my SM works fine and I digest around 200 a week.
Good Luck and enjoy your new hobby. Wink
Charlie

Winchester Mod 12 16ga. 30" full
Sears mod. 30 Ranger 16ga.
1 NEW Citori 525 Sporting Clays w/30"tubes
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good woman" D. Boone
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 am  Reply with quote

Hi,

Birddog, has you going in the right direction.

Precision Reloading, Gamaliels, Graf and Son's, are a few of the online retail outlets to buy from. There are a lot of online stores, just Google "Shotshell Reloading". You might have a local store or gun club near you that you can purchase components at a fair price.

The MEC - Sizemaster is a good place to start, as it has a primer feed and a collet resizer. The resizer is adjustable, and from my point of view the only way to go. The primer feed is a time saver. THe Sizemaster is also very versatile and really suits the guy that is reloading small lots of different ammo. The bars and bushings are easily changed to accomodate different loads. It also is easy to reload 2 1/2" shells on the Sizemaster with either a kit or a bit of adjustment.

I have a lot of reloading presses in various gauges, and a nice single stage, like the Sizemaster is always needed, whether you have progressive presses or not. I leave my progressives for the clay target (high volume) stuff. I handload 95% of my hunting loads on my Sizemasters.

I hope this is a help to you.

jschultz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

Most everything that you will need to know is contained in Lyman's 5th addition reloading manual. Buy it, read it and your reloading questions will be few.
Jim
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Hello

My vote, also, is for the MEC sizemaster.

You will not have near as much shot and powder on the floor with this machine.

Mike
bcpifish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

As TT stated that he was on a limited budget, I believe that the MEC 600 Jr. Mk5 is perhaps the better choice. Only difference between it and the Sizemaster is the primer feed and the collet type resizer. Loading speed, quality of finished load, etc. is much the same.

TT, you should go buy a Lyman's shotshell Reloading Manual, 5th Ed. I'm not concerned about the limited number of 16 ga. recipes. This manual has some very good info regarding basic reloading. Read it carefully and you will have a better for what you want.

You will need a few other things to get started also. Most important is a good scale. I highly recommend the Dillon Eliminator. Made by Ohaus like all the better scales and retails for around 30% less online.

Once you have done some basic reading get back on the site and ask any specific questions you may have.

Welcome and good luck.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

JT,

The accountants will tell you the ROI on reloading takes time - depending on your upfront cost and how often you shoot.

You can play around with the Reloading Cost Calculator to give you an idea of the cost to reload and how many loads it will take to 'pay off' the upfront equipment.

http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/video3/reloading_cost_calculator.htm

IMO there is another, just as important, ROI beyond the cost and that is the ability to make your own loads - which is a big value add when considering the 16ga. There is a wide variety of 16ga loads for reloading (especially if you belong to the LPG) that far exceeds what is offered at retail.

If you're on a limited budget I would first buy the Lyman 5th Addition manual and read it to gain the basic knowledge of reloading. A single stage reloader is less expensive and a common machine to start with - the most common machine is the MEC 600 Jr. You can always "upgrade" to the Sizemaster later after you have some experience.

You will also need to buy a scale. I bought a used RCBS 10-10 scale on ebay for $100 and love it. There are many price points for a scale but without question it's a critical piece of reloading equipment.

Reloading can be fun - ok, sometimes it's a little boring - but I think it pays off in many ways for us 16ga shooters.
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

I have bought most of my mec reloaders on ebay. some used and some new. saved my self some money

BEn
Irish Jack
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

I have the 600 JR and like it just fine, I enjoy the time spent reloading.

But one thing to keep in mind is the type of hulls you plan to use,

The steel head hulls were hard for me to re size without creating some abrasions and filings..........so this lead to get a MEC super sizer, which is one of the best things I've purchased lately.
Along with that I picked up a digital calliper at an auto parts store.

BRUCE
jschultz
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Tanker wrote, "Please forgive me if this has been covered already, but there is so much information over so many posts, I'm finding it overwhelming.

I am interested in getting into reloading due to the crazy high cost of 16 ga shells. (And, because all I have are 16 gauge shotguns... and I refuse to get anything else... mainly due to family tradition...)

Where can I find out what to buy, how to, etc? I don't have a ton of money to start, but I know it will be cheaper than continuing to purchase commercial shells."

Did he get what he requested?
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:17 am  Reply with quote

jschultz,

Yes, between reloader information, retail websites, and the suggestions for the purchase of the Lyman 5th Edition Shotshell Manual, TankerT should be good to go.

TankerT
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the information! I appreciate it.
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

bcpifish wrote:
As TT stated that he was on a limited budget, I believe that the MEC 600 Jr. Mk5 is perhaps the better choice. Only difference between it and the Sizemaster is the primer feed and the collet type resizer. Loading speed, quality of finished load, etc. is much the same.

I have 4 sizemasters for 12, 16, 20 and 28 gauges. If TT can afford the extra money for the Sizemaster over the 600 Jr it's really worth it for two reasons. First, the brass on all or almost all 16 gauge hulls today is steel and the collet resizer on the Sizemaster is much easier to use than the ring sizer on the 600 Jr with steel "brass". Second, the primer feed speeds up the reloading process significantly. Also, if you later add the primer feed to the 600 Jr you will have spent about as much money as the Sizemaster costs.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:54 pm  Reply with quote

Yup,

The 600Jr. isn't as good a deal as it once was, when all the brass was really brass. I had talked to a fair amount of folks at one point in my career and it was a complaint with more than a few. I always reccomended the Sizemaster over a 600Jr. if the fellow has the extra cash.

ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

fyi. on ebay just now

600jr
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mec-600-JR-12-16-Shotshell-Reloader_W0QQitemZ140338635706QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20acd5a3ba&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

and also a sizemaster
http://cgi.ebay.com/MEC-SIZEMASTER-16-GAUGE-RELOADING-PRESS_W0QQitemZ320409366108QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a99e2ee5c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

looks like a pretty good price on the sizemaster.

One other piece of information that you will need is recipes. Do a search on this forum for hunting loads, or target loads and you will get a few good ones to start with.

Enjoy your new hobby.

AjaxFjr.