16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  New CCI primers are now made under Alliant guidelines.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

I recently bought a 5000 count case of the new CCI 209 primers. They look very similar in appearance to the Federal primer. After contacting CCI about any possible change in strength/brissence over the old 209 design and not getting any reply, I contacted one of my inside connections at Alliant Powder. Both companies and Federal are under one parent company now.

Sure enough, the new CCI primers are now made in the same plant as the Federal primers. The CCI 209 is interchangable with the Federal 229 and the CCI 209M is interchangable with the Federal 209A. The new CCI 209 is reportedly a tad hotter than a Remington or a Winchester 209 but not by much. However, it is definately hotter than the old 109/209 series. If so, go easy on the max loads and pressures with these new series primers.

If these new CCI primers have the same reliability and QC I've always found with Federal primers, then CCI is now back on my good list. CCI QC had fallen off in the past decade and I stopped using them because of some difficulties I had with excessively hard primer cups and an irresponsible attitude about resolving it. Its nice to see an improvement. However, I've come to trust Alliant over the last decade. They are a very reliable and professionally administered company. CCI is in good hands once again. 16GG.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

Good deal-I also got away from the CCI's because of QC problems{primer cups so thick you needed a sharp nail and two pound hammer to detonate},avalibility and price.For unexplaned reasons they were always 5 bucks a thousand higher than Win or Rem's WHEN you could get them.Hopefully these situations will be reversed. Cool