16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading paper hulls for roll crimping
Flytier
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:32 am  Reply with quote

What press do you use to reload paper hulls. I am currently reloading with a PW375, but do not see how it can work for reloading paper hulls that I want to roll crimp. The press is designed to contain the hull until the final crimp is complete.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

flytier
dukxdog
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

MEC 600jr for me. I roll them in my drill press using the Precision crimper and it works great.
Hootch
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't loaded mine yet, but will do exactly what dukxdog does.
PatrickB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Flytier wrote:
What press do you use to reload paper hulls. I am currently reloading with a PW375, but do not see how it can work for reloading paper hulls that I want to roll crimp. The press is designed to contain the hull until the final crimp is complete.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

flytier

On the PW375: After dropping your shot move the sizing die past the crimp starter and final crimp stages and carefully over the large hole in the loading plate and the hull will fall out the bottom. This hole is used to change the sizing die so you need to be careful! I usually just place my hand under the hole to prevent the hull from dropping on it's own (very messy when that happens). The sizing die will also drop with the hull through the hole so be prepared for that. Return the sizing die on the reloader and move it back to the starting position. It's not a perfect solution but once you get the hang of it you will find it accomplishes the goal of getting the hull out of the sizing die so you can roll crimp it.

There might be a better solution but this is what I've done. It's certainly a lot cheaper than buying another reloader.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:39 pm  Reply with quote

Just a thought, why not forget the roll crimp and just go with a fold crimp?

I know that a lot of folks like the look of a roll crimp and I agree it does give the load a bit of a custom, I-can-be-proud-of-it-look. But there really is no advantage to roll crimping, from the stand point of ballistics. Unless you are working with a short chamber and are trying to stuff a 2 3/4" load into a 2 1/2" hull.

I have fold crimped a lot of paper hulls, with no problems.

David
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:17 am  Reply with quote

"Unless you are working with a short chamber and are trying to stuff a 2 3/4" load into a 2 1/2" hull. "

Your statement about stuffing a 2 3/4" load in a 2 1/2" shell, is not really true. The load is the same capacity, except you need that 1/4" more hull length to fold crimp whereas the roll crimp only needs 1/8" over the .030 shot card.

I reload 2 1/2" hulls that I cut down to fit my "elsies", I find load data for low pressure, low velocity to preserve the integrity of the gun. Since I don't reload a "ton" of these shells, it is fun to roll crimp them and many times I will use the old fashion hand roll-crimper.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:42 am  Reply with quote

David,

I think you missed the reason for my response. The fellow is having an small issue with removing the hull from his PW375 in midstream. I just wanted him to think about a fold crimp. There has been a bunch of talk that roll crimps create better ballistics, which is not really true. There is nothing wrong with either a roll crimp or a fold crimp. In this case I just wanted the fellow to understand that he would not be making a mistake if he made it easier on himself, by leaving the hull in the reloader to be fold crimped, that's all.

The are plenty of reasons for 2 3/4" loads in 2 1/2" hulls that have been roll crimped. I kinda think that might be another thread.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:33 am  Reply with quote

A simple Lee Load all works great for smaller batches of roll-crimped loads. I use one in combination with a vintage hand crank roll crimper and I'm happy as a clam. For roll crimping, all you need is a something that will meter shot and powder well. For 2.5" hulls I just put a 1/4" spacer under the hull in the powder/shot station.

Btw, I think the hand crank crimper is faster than the drill press kind. From the time I take the shell out of the loader to the time I put it in the roll crimper and finish the shell is maybe 10 seconds.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Those old hand cranks are fun, I have a couple and they do crimp fast and easy.

Flytier
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:45 am  Reply with quote

PatrickB - I have not tried a paper hull in thePW375, but I can tell you that a plastic hull will not drop out of my sizing die like you mentioned. I will have to try it with a paper hull when they arrive. That truly would be the easiest solution if it works.

rerundogchaser37 - The roll crimp is just a personal preference for me. I grew up on paper shells (fold crimp and roll crimp) and just love the smell. These will be hunting loads and I just want to use roll crimped loads and stamp the shot sizes on the overshot cards. I just like the nostalgia of it.

UncleDanFan - I have wondered about the Lee Load All. I have two of the old hand cranked crimpers in 16 and 20 gauges. That is my plan as well.

Thanks for all the replies.

flytier