16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  1 1/4 wads
grinnerking
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

I've found data for a 1 1/4 load but I cant seem to find a 1 1/4 wad. Does anyone make this wad?
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

There are a few loads around for 1 1/4 oz. loads with the Remington SP-16 wad. The loads I have tried fit well and crimp well also.

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

The use of the SP16 and 571 or HS-7 powder and 57 primers in the old remington hulls make a really nice 1 1/4 oz. load and loks like a factory load. It is not recomended for the recoil impaired..... Wink
Best,
Ron
jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:04 am  Reply with quote

In my opinion the idea behind a one-piece wad, in addition to sealing gasses is to totally contain the shot, keep the shot from making contact with the barrel and deforming said shot. An SP16 wad does not contain 1 1/4 oz of shot even though some recipes using the SP16 wad work very well. If you use the SP16 wad and want to protect the shot that is above the cup, try the protection used in the old Winchester Mark 5 shells by inserting a mylar strip into the wad.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:50 am  Reply with quote

grinnerking wrote:
I've found data for a 1 1/4 load but I cant seem to find a 1 1/4 wad. Does anyone make this wad?

What wad are you looking for? What does the recipe call the wad? Someone here might know what it is now called, or if it is now obsolete.
Citori_16
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:32 am  Reply with quote

I'm not home with the manual, but believe the MM16 (now VP80 I believe) from BPI has a 1 3/8 oz. lead capacity. Not sure if it is the wad you are talking about or not.
mrosspa
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

What would you use the 1 1/4 or the 1 3/8 oz. for?

Citori_16
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:14 pm  Reply with quote

I personally don't, but I would suppose back in the day, they would have been used to stretch the 16 ga. into a goose gun. Larger payloads of larger size lead shot to get pellet counts and pattern density up.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Wow, back in the day?

Nah, but there are those who like a 1 1/4 oz. of #4's or #5's for pheasants or heavy loads for turkeys. They actually shoot better than you might think. I did try the heavy loads for windy day roosters, but I found out that my regular load of #6's kills just fine.

Just for the record, I used Remington SP16's to load the 1 1/4oz, never tried the MM16's by BPI.

Kiwi_Bloke
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Re the shot standing above the wad petals, compression on firing causes the shot column to retreat deeper in the cup, (inertia forces), hence why there's deep pellet indentations in the recovered wad base after firing. It doesn't always take up everything but it's something to keep in mind if the wad height and shot column height aren't that different. Also, the recipe may say it's suitable for 1,1/4oz, but different pellets stack differently and particularly with larger pellets, you might not actually get all of them in there.

I'm not sure if I've used mylar, but I have used teflon wrap to replace wad petals with buckshot. The patterns looked OK.
Citori_16
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Mark, referring to waterfowling, as I've never legally been able to hunt waterfowl with anything but non-toxic shot.
Setters4Life
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:46 pm  Reply with quote

I have used the SP16 wad, Federal hulls, and a healthy dose of Blue Dot per the Alliant manual for my 1 1/4 oz. loads for years. I stopped shooting these out of my Parker many years ago, but still will touch one off now and again in my M12 or Sweet-Sixteen just to rattle my senses.
rerundogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

Citori 16,

I am probably old enough to have used lead for waterfowling, but I never really went waterfowl hunting in CT until after the non-toxic shot was made mandatory.

Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:53 am  Reply with quote

There is no reason that a 1-1/4oz of #2 Nice Shot in a 16 gauge wouldn't make a good goose load except maybe the additional 1500psi chamber pressure allowance the Nice Shot web site states should be used.

I just finished loading a batch of 1-1/8oz of Nice Shot #5 in Remington Game load shells with Remington SP16 wads and Winchester 209 primers that, with the 1500psi additional pressure allowance, should generate 10400psi chamber pressures. I will use these shells for waterfowling but will most likely refrain from shooting at geese unless they are closer than 30 yards and I have a good view of the head and neck.

The 1-1/4oz 16 gauge loads in the Lyman Manual generate pretty high pressures to start...anybody want to do send out a 1-1/4oz load of Nice Shot for testing!? I would, but at $3/round I used up my allowance of Nice Shot for the year! Crying or Very sad
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:21 am  Reply with quote

What about the Cheddite 1628 wad? I believe this wad is the same as the old Activ G-28 wad. There is one recipe on the LPG for the G28 wad and 1 1/4 oz. I made it using the 1628 wad and it is a beauty of a load.

Someone please correct me if this isn't the same wad...but I have been told it is. There is some confusion, as some think that the G28 is a Gualadini wad.