16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithicas Back
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.ithacagunsusa.com/history.html
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

Altho I would not be averse to aquiring a 16 gage M37 I'm not going to hold my breath that this latest incarnation will be around long enuff for me to purchase one. The last NEW Ithaca I saw for sale locally was one of the Model 87's! Here in Central Ky only old guys are aware of the Ithaca. Newer shooters want Benelli autos or O/U's and consider the purchase of a pump as a stop gap until they can "move up". The pump gun market today consists of inexpensive guns because pumps are bought with the intent of upgrading or they are purchased by casual hunters who don't want to spend too much on a gun. I don't think the market is there to support manufacture of a pump that rivals some autos in price. And for those shooters who do prefer a pump the Wingmaster and BPS are well entrenched. It will be tuff for Ithaca to succeed but I wish them well.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

.....Except for one small but vital detail, Ithaca is the only source for a new 16 ga. pump built on its own frame and with the proper weight and balance for the gauge. And that is all the difference needed to a 16 ga fan. GO ITHACA!!
Scolari
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

I hope they can make a go of it but I agree it is a tough market for a pump gun now days. Most people don't want to spend that much for a pump gun. They need to come out with a good auto. That seems to be what sells.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

They have gone belly up twice I think-I just don't see 'em moving enough guns to keep the cash flow moving.Hope I am wrong.As stated the current market favors autos or o/u's.We'll see.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Thank goodness there are still some decent 16 and 20 ga. Model 12's to be found.....

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
They have gone belly up twice I think-I just don't see 'em moving enough guns to keep the cash flow moving.Hope I am wrong.As stated the current market favors autos or o/u's.We'll see.

Well, the new owners sound like they have a background in machining/tool making and have plenty of CNC and other equipment to keep production costs down. It sounds like from what has been reported that they are bringing back the Model 37 Turkeyslayer, a Model 51 (Auto) and the Knickerbocker as quickly as they can.

They are listing as current products 3 different Model 37's, including the aforementioned wood upgrade in 12, 16 and 20. There is also the Model 37 Deerslayer and then the home defense Model 37.

I certainly hope they make it and reading the background of the new owners, there seems to be some reason for hope. Anyway, it will be interesting to see.

Brad
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:57 am  Reply with quote

I'm with you KB. I saw the handwriting on the wall for the last group who tried to revive Itaca. It had more to do with a heavily leveraged debt and the excessive pricing to cover it more than anything. If this new outfit can keep the price of the new guns competative, they have a real shot. It all depends on how much debt they've assumed and what labor will cost. It sounds like they have their own facility. so maybe the overhead is not so high. Ithaca pumps have a solid name and track record.

I see they are offering a basic model with the root beer barrel forend and no checkering. I think it a smart move if the price is good. If the company continues to make the 16 on its own frame like the originals, and I can buy a 26" plain jane parkerized model w/ rib and choke tubes for about as much as it would cost me to buy and convert an older one, then I'm going to own my first 16 ga. pump model.

There is something just so right and practical about the 16 ga. 37 for upland duties, especially with the versitility choke tubes offer. They will handle a greater range of different shot loads and shell pressures than any autoshucker. Pumps can be made as versitile as a double gun by juggling loads and using spreaders in the magazine. I can see a lot of pheasant and grouse hunters buying one for the sloppy days when we don't want to tote an SxS or O/U. The ease of field stripping and cleaning a pump is a big advantage after a wet weather hunt. They cost well below what any decent double gun will cost too. I would not count them out yet. 16GG.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

I purchased two of the previous company's guns without any thought to "downgrading" to an autojammer-I learned my lessons through other folks experiences to avoid those lemons. A well practiced pump gun guy can get the second shot off faster than an auto guy can, usually, anyway.
The aluminum framed 16 (they sold steel framed 16s also, and those guns handle just as good as the ultra light weights do) I bought several seasons past has absolutely killer wood, near perfect checkering, a nicely fitted Ithaca recoil pad, choke tubes, a vent rib, and came in a Doskosil case, with some nice cleaning accessories, and a trigger lock. I had a little trouble with the Winchester cheapie ammunition swelling into the chamber cut, at first, and then I polished it, and that took care of that problem. No other ammunition caused that, and, I have since switched to the Eley Hawk 2 1/2 inch ammunition for all my 16s.
Yes, it was a little bit more than a 16 gauge 870, but, it was a lot more gun for the money. Dad's Benelli SBE has been returned to Benelli USA two times, and still doesn't work right. O/Us would probably be OK if my eyes were arranged verticle on my face, and besides, 16 gauge O/Us are hard to come by.
I hope the new Ithaca does well.
Best,
Ted
mod11rem
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

I don't thing a pump gunner can get the second shot off any faster than someone shooting an auto. However, IMHO the time it takes to pump the action gives the shooter time to think, pick a target, line up and shoot. same with second trigger on my SXS. that split second to change triggers keeps me from blasting off a quick second shot without thinking. I shoot a pump at ducks, and an autoloader or SXS on everything else. However, I just acquired a nice Ithaca 37 LW 16 ga and I really like it; smooth, quick and the bottom eject is efficient. a really well made and fun gun to shoot.

KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:26 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:

Yes, it was a little bit more than a 16 gauge 870, but, it was a lot more gun for the money. Dad's Benelli SBE has been returned to Benelli USA two times, and still doesn't work right. O/Us would probably be OK if my eyes were arranged verticle on my face, and besides, 16 gauge O/Us are hard to come by.
I hope the new Ithaca does well.
Best,
Ted

Totally agree here Ted. Plus as 16gg noted, the Model 37 16 is on its own frame, unlike the 870. However, I do think that Ithaca needs to keep the price of the base model in the same price range (+/- $100 or so) as the 870 Wingmaster as a basis of comparison.

Also, although I agree with you that pumps are every bit the equal of autos, Scolari has a good point that the gun buying public at large, generally favors the Auto. I would hope that the new owners at Ithaca could update the Model 51 or even come up with an entirely new design and really take on some of the other manufacturers in the Auto segment of the market.

I am wishing for a new NID or even a Lefever Nitro Express in the 16 from them, but thats probably a long way off. Besides, I think I am still in shock seeing that you and 16gg are in agreement about something. LOL...

Brad
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Me and and Ole Ted?...Shoot... we're as thick as thieves. Rolling Eyes Laughing
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:20 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
A well practiced pump gun guy can get the second shot off faster than an auto guy can, usually, anyway.

Most pump gunners DO NOT have the skills of a Tom Knapp. Altho I agree a good pump man can get off a second shot "quick enuff" for most hunting situations a pump is not the equal of an auto or a double for a fast 2nd shot. Most any decent Sporting Clays course will have a few stations where the pump gunner just simply can't work that pump fast enuff to compete with autos or doubles.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:37 am  Reply with quote

I think most of us here realize the Ithaca 37 pump is first and foremost a hunting gun. it will also serve for non-competative recreational shooting well enough. In fact, the practice should be encouraged. Most good pump shuckers can take any pair of skeet doubles quite handily. Most can drop a pair of quail on a covey flush too. The pump gun will function quickly enough for any hunting scenario I can think of. Its simply a question of familiarity based on practice. It needn't be as potentially quick to fire as an auto or a double because its never really necessary. 16GG.
budrichard
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:04 pm  Reply with quote

For those of you bothered by the demise of the Ithaca product line, my advise is to support the new company and purchase one. I am ordering a straight grip 16 with 26" barrel, hopefully without a rib and some nice wood. I purchased a 12 Gauge 3" Dlx Mint in the box at a local gun show recently and it was done nicely. I hope the new management will make some quality shotguns and I will supprt them.-Dick