16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithicas Back
Woodcanoeguy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote

I spoke with Craig of the new IthacaGunsUSA company yesterday after ordering some parts and he quoted me $650 for their NOS 16 gauge Featherweight Model 37 Upland Premium with hard case. That is their 'basic' or standard gun on their website. Think they weighed in at 6 1/2 lbs. A mint 2004 16 gauge model 37 on Gun Broker went for $450 a few days ago. I bought a nice 1957 16 gauge 37 from a dealer in NY state for $250 recently. I thanked Craig for resurecting the Ithaca name.
fowler
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Yes a true 16ga. frame and balance like a good doublegun. The Ithaca is at its best in the 16ga. platform.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Post deleted

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:38 am  Reply with quote

budrichard wrote:
For those of you bothered by the demise of the Ithaca product line, my advise is to support the new company and purchase one. I am ordering a straight grip 16 with 26" barrel, hopefully without a rib and some nice wood. I purchased a 12 Gauge 3" Dlx Mint in the box at a local gun show recently and it was done nicely. I hope the new management will make some quality shotguns and I will supprt them.-Dick

As usual Bud, you show both wisdom and common sense, which IMO, is anything but common in today's world.
Mark Larson
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

I have one slot left in my gun cabinet to fill, and I have been contemplating getting a 16ga. turkey gun. My Lefever is an open choked upland gun, so the new 37 makes a lot of sense. It could handle the Fed. 1 1/4oz. magnums, and it has tubes (can you get an x-full turkey choke in 16?). The camo pistol grip version isn't to my liking, but the english upland version could do great backup duty as an upland gun. And very importantly, it's made here in America.

Let's show them our support!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:40 am  Reply with quote

I think the turkey gun only comes in 12 ga.. However, a nice 16 with a 24" or 26" tubed vent rib barrel will do just as well. Colonial chokes and Tru choke both put out an extended super full 16 ga choke tube. A 1-1/4 oz of #6, #5, or #4 to the bird's noggin will do the job within 35 yards real nicely. Just check your POI real close with both beads lined up by shooting a couple on paper at 30 yds. Then adjust your hold for proper elevation to put the core of the pattern right on the money.

Wrapping the gun in plain natural colored burlap with dull green and brown paint daubed on it and with thin strips along the barrel held on with brown rubber bands will camo the gun just fine. Who needs paint. Its stupid and expense. The burlap works better, muffles noise, and is easy to remove later too. Its like a gilly suit for your gun. The old timey duck and goose hunters did it years ago. So do snipers. It still works like a charm.

You don't need sights either. In fact, its better to be able to float the bird's head a bit over the bead as you shoot with both eyes open. Your hand/eye coordination will automatically make any fine adjustments for you as you squeeze the shot off if you focus on the head and not the beads. If the bird moves his head, and they are doing it constantly, you will be able to stay on it better than if using rifle type sights and focusing on the front sight. Most knowledgeable turkey hunters do not use rifle type sights. They use the bead or a scope. Either lets you focus primarily on the head.

A small ring sight made out of wire dipped in chartruese green and taped in place over the muzzle will do for the guys who must close an eye. You one eyed guys can just focus through the loop like a ghost ring sight and still stay on the head. Turkeys are less apt to pick up chartruese. They will key on bright reds, oranges blues, or whites. That is what their head looks like and how they communicate visually. Use the green.

Simply make the ring or loop just big enough to encompass the bird's head in the center of about a 3" radius all around it at 20 yards. You will be fine out to 35-40 yards this way. You can use a bright colored tennis ball at 20 yards as a test target. Usually a 3/8"-1/2" loop is a good place to start for the average 30" sighting plane. Wire is cheap so make a few until you get it right. Make sure to set the ring at the right height so you can just cheek the gun normally and put the pattern dead on.

The camo paint and rifle sights on turkey guns are marketing BS mostly to sell another gun that you don't really need. In the fall, just switching to a skeet or IC tube sets you right up for upland with the 16 ga. . Have fun. 16GG
nossman
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:29 pm  Reply with quote

I called Ithaca Guns, USA today, as I was curious if they had any dealers lined up in my area (Sacramento, CA.). I was informed that they do not have a dealer list, as of yet. For the moment, all products are being sold factory direct. I was also informed that they have not started manufactoring the NEW M37's just yet. They are currently selling new stock left over from the previous manufacturer. They are however manufacturing new higher quality barrles and internal components. The design has not changed, just the quality has been improved. They plan to start producing the NEW line of M37's very soon.
I asked if their plans include producing any doubles (specifically in 16ga)? I was informed that yes, they plan to manufacture an improved version of the NID, as well as possibly a couple of others. They stated that they have had many requests for doubles (including 16ga) and plan to have the NID's available in all gauges (frame specific). I was told that production of the NID's would be about 1 year out. They are focusing on rolling out the production of the new M37's first, then will focus on the new doubles.

My name, contact info, and request for a 16ga NID was added to a running list (wish list) that they have, and will be used to help support the production of 16ga NID's.
If you are interested in a NEW Ithaca 16ga NID, give them a call and let them know. They want customer/future customer input.

Ithaca Guns, USA seems to be very aware of the desire of 16ga guns (pumps & doubles), and plans to continue the heritage.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 pm  Reply with quote

I contacted Ithaca by phone as they do not seem to respond to emails. I talked to a fellow named Matt and purchased the last of the available 16 ga. barrels with c. tubes for my new/old 1970's era 16 ga. 37. This will be all there is until they can rebuild their inventory back up so they can start making guns again.

Thats the temporary bad news. The good news is that they will be making more 16 ga. guns again. They are aware of their unique position in this market niche at this time. they have to focus on demand first though so it will be 12's and 20's first. Anyway, at least the 16 is on the shedule.
nossman
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Matt is who I spoke with.
Arthur
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Don't know if you are aware of the latest from Ithaca, but the new
16's won't be coming out till next year.

Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I was never really a Ithaca fan. I shot them any enjoyed using the old girl until I discovered the Remington model 31! Smoother than a model 12 and light as an Ithaca, I'll stick to the 31 16 gauge Wink
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:13 pm  Reply with quote

Ithaca may be back, but for how long? They still owe me $144 for a bluing job that was never done because (and I will never see that money again) they went out of business and were, I asume, protected by bankruptcy laws.
Don't trust them. I heard that some guys sent them lots of money for special order guns around that time, and never saw the gun nor the money. If we learn from history, and if history repeats itself, then its only a matter of time before they go out of business again.
XVI

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

Brian,
Does that mean the 37 lightweight you own is for sale? I hear Dick NEEDS one for his collection!
Best,
Ted
Brian Meckler
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Ted,

the oldest boy needs a 16 when he gets older Laughing

You have to admit the Remington 31 is a better hull shucker
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:16 am  Reply with quote

Well Brian, I think was is the correct term. Try and find a good one in 16 ga today. There are far more Model 37 16 ga. guns available and in better shape. but you are right about the shuckability. Both are as slick as a greased black snake in wet grass. However, you might get your butt flamed by the Model 12 guys for speaking truth. They can't stand the obvious. Laughing

I don't know much about the lost funds or the policies covering such, but I think the new owners are going to be better at keeping their word. They are not jobbing these guns out but making each one themselves.

If anyone has a reciept for prepaid services or products ordered but not made, Bankruptsy laws do not protect the business. The funds were paid in whole or in part. Therefore, a total refund is due. Only investers and suppliers who have extended credit to the company are not. get a hold of the law firm representing the company and send a demand for repayment along with the reciept for payment. Those funds have to be provided for in full by law. However, there is a statute of limitation so don't waste time doing this.