16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Aussi 16ga Recipe
reloaderblue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all
I am new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions
In Australia we have very limited slection of 16ga ammo. The only ammo available to me is Winchester superX (Made in Australia) Which is a Chedite hull,I have been saving these to reload. As there are no 16ga wads available in Australia i bought 250 Remington sp16 wads via ebay.
Would anyone have a recipe using ADI or Alliant powder.
Regards:Roger

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

Any particular powder to use?Dang I hate to think what you paid for the wads-I will send you a pm here in a second.hows come ya'll can't buy 16 ga wads-goverment regulations or just no interest?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Blue, it would help us help you if you would tell us what lines of powders and primers are available to you down under. I know Hodgdon has their Clays line of shotshell powder made in Australia. If it is available, both International and Universal clays would be of use to you for 3/4 to 1 oz. loads. Can you also get any of the Alliant line of powders formaly known as Hercules powders such as Red Dot, Green Dot, Unique, Herco, and Blue Dot? The last four of these all can be used for a wide range of shot loads and velocities in the 16 ga. Herco and Blue dot can be used for 1 oz through 1-1/4 oz hunting loads. Geen Dot and Unique will serve for the lighter target and hunting loads for smaller game birds.

The Remington SP-16 wad is a versitile one that can be used for a wide range of shot load weights from 3/4 oz up to 1-1/4 oz loads in the Cheddite hull. It will require the use of 28 ga or .50 cal, 1/8 inch thick nitro card wads placed in the bottom of the shot cup for shot loads under 1-1/8 oz. Each card wad displaces almost exactly 1/8 oz. of lead shot. However, that is better than being restricted to a wad that has too small a range of uses.

If you can order some of the R16 wads being made available through Recob's here in the states, you would be ahead of the game for loads of 1 oz and down. The R16 is the 1 oz version of the SP-16. it is identical except for a shallower shot cup. Overall diameter and length are the same. They are on the web. Just search for The Target Shop and contact Kris.

Loading for the 16 requires knowledge, a bit of enginuity, and a willingness to adapt what is available to come up with the loads you want and need. Let us know what you have available for componants, and we should be able to help. 16GG.
reloaderblue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:49 am  Reply with quote

Hi 16ga
The Powders available to me are all the ADI line including Clays, Universal,
International also the complete range of Alliant powder
The Primers Are Win209, Fed209,Fed209A and various others which i havent checked yet
Downunder here we have access to a fairly good range of shooting supplies but the 16ga is almost unheard of. I picked up a Stevens 311 (1954 model)(same as me) wich is a joy to shoot so must keep reloading
Thanks for your help
I sent RWG a Cheque today and am looking foward some recipes there
regards R

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:53 am  Reply with quote

I will get back to you via PM with some good recipes using the SP-16 wad and the WW 16 ga polyformed hull. Give me a day or so to organize my data. Anything under 1-1/8 oz. will require the filler wads mentioned. These wads will allow you to load 3/4 and 7/8 oz light loads for your 16 ga. They are fun to shoot and don't kick at all for clay target shooting. They also will kill smaller game birds very handily and save on shot too.

You don't need 1 oz or bigger loads for most 16 ga. shooting. Once you experience shooting these light loads, you will understand why I rarely use 20 or 28 Ga. guns much anymore for recreation and small birds. it's why I call the 16 the most versitle small bore of all.

You can order the card wads from Circlefly Wads here stateside very reasonably in bulk unless you have a cheap source at home or can cut them yourself. Circle Fly is on the web. Just use a search engine and contact them to get the bulk pack price for 5000 or more. The owner is a real nice fellow and easy to do business with.

If you don't reload in large quantities like I do for frequent 100 round skeet shooting bouts, then cutting wads out of polyfoam meat packing trays you get free from the market works very well and is easy. All it takes is a 1/2 inch inside diameter thin steel tube about 4"-6" long cut square with the outside of the bottom edge ground and stoned down at a shallow angle to a keen cutting edge. Serrate the the finished cutting edge a bit with a small knife-edged file if you have one. Cut and grind an ovate panel out of the side of the tube 1-1/2 inches long starting 1 inch up from the cutting end and just a tad past half the diameter of the tube in depth (no more or you'll weaken the tube) to let the wads drop out as you cut. Fasten a piece of 1/2" wooden dowel into the other end with a snug fitting brad or small nail run crossways through the tube and dowel near the top end. you will need to drill a small hole through the tube and dowel to admit the brad. a little wood glue on the dowel and the brad helps secure them in the tube. Next, drill and attach a wood handle rounded to fit your palm comfortably to the dowel with wood glue or better yet, 5 minute epoxy. your punch is ready.

Use a piece of soft wood board across your lap as a cutting surface and push and twist your punch into the tray to pop out foam wads as fast as you please. You can cut hundreds while watching the telly as long as you have meat trays.

You can use different thicknesses of foam trays to vary the depth of the shot cup of your SP-16 wads as needed to get good crimps. an occasional touch up on the punch edge with a stone will keep it cutting for a very long time. 16GG
bigric
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

Do you actually have that many recipies for the Cheddite hull and the R16? Most every recipe that I see in the group data calls for the SG16 or TC16.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Most of what I have are from substituting out an R16 for a WW16AA wad and adjusting the powder drop a 1/2 grain to maintain the velocity. The R16 generates less pressure than the Winchester wad. It also predates the Winchester wad and was widely used in all hull types for many years before the Winchester wad appeared. I also referred to the Fiocchi hull since it is identical to the Chedditeand the newest Winchester polyformed hulls. The data will also work in a Federal hull.

As far as loads lighter than one ounce, I adapted my own 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads based on the Remington hull and upped the powder drop 1 Grain to 17 or 17.5 grains of Green Dot in the roomier hull. None of my loads will generate more than 9.5K PSI and are in the 1150-1200 fps range...plenty zippy for clays and small birds. Obturation is not a problem. I use flake powders only so migration isn't either.

By avoiding the very fast powders like Red Dot for my 16 ga loads, I've never gotten into trouble pressure wise. I also have access to friends at Alliant and often have consulted them. they have been a big help and have always been able to give me a safe starting point.

I also make sure all my guns I use for load developement are all hell for stout and well maintained. I also go slow, start well below max, and up the load a 1/2 grain at a time. A 1/2 grain to a grain of a moderate burning powder over a conservative max will not blow up or even pose a threat to a modern gun in good shape. If I feel I've reached max, I just back it on down one grain to a conservative point and that is my personal Max charge. My everyday loads are below that. I also load only five rounds at a time on the way up and verify each charge by weight.

In certain cases for heavier hunting loads, I've sent off a dozen loads to Alliant and they have tested them for pressure and velocity. I do all my own patterning after establishing a load as safe. Patterning will reveal the sweet spot where pressure and velocity come together to produce a good usable pattern. Start low and move up a 1/2 grain at a time until you are getting the best pattern and the best velocity for that load. If one can't be found, reject the load.

If you can acquire enough of the load data available since 1970, and compare different wads, powder, and shot charges in enough hulls that have been around since the 1960's, You will be able to identify certain constant trends. The R16 and SP-16 wads have been around this long. Green Dot, Unique, Herco, and Blue Dot have filled the 16 ga bill for me very well and have been doing it for many folks for well over 4 decades. Couple that with having had enough time to have shot enough clay targets and enough game birds to know when a load is performing well or not and there you have it. Its not rocket science, its just a matter of having been around long enough to have learned all this and believing what my eyes have seen. Given enough time and experience, and a willingness to pay attention, any one can do this. 16GG.