16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  16 gage data from Hodgdon
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

Just got off the phone with a techie at Hodgdon. Graf's had informed me that Hodgdon could supply data for the 2 1/2 inch Cheddite hull. Techie said nope, no data available for 2 1/2 16 gage anything. I asked when 16 gage shooters could expect new data for 2 3/4 inch hulls since much of their data uses WAA16 wads. Techie said he couldn't forsee when that would happen as they were so busy. He also stated they probably needed to reshoot the data for the Ballistics Products wads but they didn't have time for that either. Looks like 16 gage reloaders will have to make do with what little 16 data already exists.
jchandler
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

a quick glance at the 16 ga low pressure group data shows 15 2.5in Cheddite loads, of which 7 use Longshot and one International Clays. That should get you started. Jeff
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

Busy Question Question Question Doing what---trying to get a 12 ga load to go 2000fps Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Busy Question Question Question Doing what---trying to get a 12 ga load to go 2000fps Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Interesting concept.. Laughing
All of the powder companies seem to pay much more attention to rifle and pistol data than shot shell data. Then again with new rifle and pistol loads being developed about every six months I guess it is understandable.
reloaderblue
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:55 am  Reply with quote

In Australia they( tested at ADI) have developed a 12ga 3/4oz #9 shot load at 1750fps with ADI AN30 powder which i beleive is Hodgdon Clays. very good for field shoots i am told. dont know much about it but sounds interesting.

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:24 am  Reply with quote

jchandler wrote:
a quick glance at the 16 ga low pressure group data shows 15 2.5in Cheddite loads, of which 7 use Longshot and one International Clays. That should get you started. Jeff

Where does one get this data? Wasn't aware of it. Thanks!
cedar16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:04 am  Reply with quote

Clayflingythingy, send a PM to RWG. He will give info on joining low pressure group. I found their info very useful.
TerryS
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:40 am  Reply with quote

In addition to the data from the low pressure group, there is a dozen or so 2-1/2" loads in the Precision Reloading Shotshell Reloading Manual - Blanks to Supersonics. The loads mostly use the B&P wad and are for the Cheddite, Federal and Remington hulls.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Although I'm no expert about 2-1/2 inch cases, I do know that any case with the same type base wad, construction, internal shape, and volume in the first bottom inch or so can safely be interchanged for reloading all but max loads. I've found that Fiocchi, Cheddite, the newest Winchester polyformed hulls, and the Estates with plastic base wads can be swapped safely. If the 2-1/2" Cheddite hulls have the same basic specs as the 2-3/4" ones, then any of these hulls can be cut back a 1/4" and used interchangably.

The biggest difference between 2-1/2" and 2-3/4 inch loads is the shorter wad column all other things being equal. The shorter case should have no real effect on the ballistics unless its fired in a 2-3/4" chamber. In that case, peak pressures will be lower.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help!
hangfirew8
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:25 pm  Reply with quote

That's funny I pinged Hodgdon on 16 gauge data last month as well. I got a definite maybe, sometime. Gotta keep after them, especially as now they control most of the powder market in the US!

HF