16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  DR 16 LOADING
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Last night while loading some 7/8 oz target loads I tried to use a couple DR16's I couldn't even get them in above the wad guide and 7/8 oz of shot filled it to the rim of the shell. I was loading 16 gr of Green Dot in an RGL with 7/8 oz. in an R-16 with 32 gauge card wad. I'm not sure 1/2 oz would fit. What are you guys loading these in?
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
in an R-16 with 32 gauge card wad. I'm not sure 1/2 oz would fit. What are you guys loading these in?

Are you trying to put this in with the DR-16? Something isn't making sense in your post... Laughing

I have been loading the DR16 in the cheddite hull with 18 gr Greendot and 7/8 oz lead with no problems. The recipe is posted on here somewhere with the load testing data...or go to spr310's website.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

The data I mentioned is under http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7454&highlight=
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:14 am  Reply with quote

Sorry I wasn't clear my normal load calls for a R-16 wad with a 32gauge card wad. I tried a DR16 without any filler and the shot was flowing out the top of the hull. I would have to make major adjustment to the wad rammer just to insert the wad. I didn't relize I had to crush the wad normally I just seat the wad on top of the powder. I guess it would work better in a bigger hull with less shot. I'll keep loading the R-16 till I'm out then I will have to play with combinations to come up with a good fit.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by MaximumSmoke on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:28 am  Reply with quote

PP, I have used the load you tried with the DR16 and had good success.

There were two things that I had to do to make it work....

I raised the wad rammer to ensure 0 pressure. (as you said, just sit on top of the powder) and I also found that I had to condition the mouth of the Rem black or the origional wad insertion caused some problems. (It sometimes got stuck on the old crimp and bent the wad over durning insertion.)

Once I did those two things it worked fine.

I have moved to cheddite for these wads as the cheddites don't seem to require any hull conditioning before reload.

Unlike the findings of shootingsoiux the DR16 seems to work great for me in the higher volume chedite... I have loaded well over 1000 and have no issues with the crimp. When I moved to this wad I did spend a little time adjusting the cam on my MEC, but after the 4-5 shells used for ajusting i have not had to change it again.

You can make this work, good luck. AjaxFjr
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:14 am  Reply with quote

pudelpointer, the load I mentioned for the cheddite hull does produce a concave crimp for me. But, It doesn't affect the performance I am getting...and that is how I had the load tested. shootingsioux is right that the wad could use some stronger legs to it, but it is usable as is, and the 7/8 oz load performs very well for me on skeet.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:08 am  Reply with quote

I want to use the wad for my 7/8 oz loads in the RGL but like I said the shot is up to the rim I can't believe it will crush that much to close. I'll try again Maybe I need to switch hulls when I'm out of R-16's. I always thought the crush section was to minimize setback damage upon firing. If I crush it the whole way to get 7/8 oz in I wonder how it will preform upon firing. I don't have any oposition to the wad was just wondering how everybody was doing it. I like the idea of the new wad and no filler I want to use it. I load on a 9000h and everything needs to flow smooth so I don't need to live at the reloading bench. Thanks again for the tips and insight.
robp
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:13 am  Reply with quote

yep I had the same problem. I tried the IMR PB,RGL with 7/8 oz 8s load. I had to crush down the wad, drop the shot and quickly move to the pre crimp and final crimp station before it sprang back leaking shot - frustrating to say the least.
Has this happened to others? or am I the only one. What trick am I missing?
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
You won't like it with really light loads in higher capacity hulls either, Pudelpointer, since even though the shot seems to sit at the right level before you crimp, the wad collapses very easily and leaves you a low and ugly-looking crimp. Bugger of a wad to load. While most plastic wad units "give" during crimp, they offer enough resistance while doing so to enable a nice flat crimp. Not the DR-16. I used one bag, and it was one bag too many.

I agree completely..

Mine are on the shelf until I find a load they work well in... but I ain't holdin' my breath!

This wad is waaaaaayyy too rubbery for my liking.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:16 pm  Reply with quote

With my P/W 800 set up, I've found it impossible to get a consistent 7/8oz load in Cheddite hulls. But the DR16 loads a superb 3/4oz, #8.5 or #9. I do have to watch and carefully adjust crimp starter and final crimp dies, and the crimp is a bit concave, but it certainly shoots well.
For 7/8oz I use the Gualandi 1621 with #8's. Been thru ~ 4000 of the DR16's, and just got another 5000 of the Gu's.
Works for me.
Cheers,
R*2
robp
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

although I have not tried it I believe the DR16 would work well with a 3/4 oz load which is unfortunate because thats not what I bought them for.
aabradley82
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:49 pm  Reply with quote

Been using both cheddite and rgl 7/8 with pb (hodgdon data) without much trouble. had to adjust rammer tube for rgl to squash it and have to readjust the crimper for each shell. other than that have little or no trouble that wouldn't be solved with limitless supply of win compressions. Keep tinkering with your loader and the shells get prettier.
top_cat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

I've been using the DR16 in RGL with 16 gr PB, 3/4 oz shot. Excellent results. What I've found is that the legs of the DR16 need to be either perfectly straight or bowed out - otherwise one leg bends before the other and the wad tries to cock.

I'm using a (very old) 600jr. If the wad tries to cock, I raise the ram, pull the wad back out, manually spread the legs out and retry. Spreading the legs forces any leg bend to the outside of the case while dropping the ram. The outside of the case guides the leg in and prohibits any tipping.

I've found the RGLs to be pretty flimsy compared to the purple Federals. After two or three reloads, the case has a tough time keeping a crimp - they may all look OK right after they are loaded, but later you will find some of them bulged out. But I shoot them anyway.

Tom