16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  SHOT Show: 16ga. Beretta, How bad do we want one?
16ga.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:34 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin
Site Admin

10feb06

Today,the best time i spent at the SHOT Show turned out to be at Beretta. I introduced myself as representing The 16ga.Society, and was met with surprising interest. I made my case that our membership had reached a substantial number and represented an the 'tip of the iceberg' of a larger ground swell of interest in the ' Queen of Gauges'.

They seemed geniunely interested. I mentioned some other gunmakers and they asked about a 16 on a 20 ga. frame. I tried not to drop to my knees but said a Beretta 16 on a 20 gauge frame would be very sweet indeed.

We need to make some noise the next couple of days. They said they would take a look at us. Beretta, like any battleship, might take a couple of years to turn but it would be worth it.

16ga.

Last edited by 16ga. on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:36 am  Reply with quote

16ga. wrote:
10feb06

Today,the best time i spent at at the SHOT Show turned out to be at Beretta. I introduced myself as representing The 16ga.Society, and was met with surprising interest. I made my case that our our membership had reached a substantial number and represented an the 'tip of the iceberg' of a larger ground swell of interest in the ' Queen of Gauges'.

They seemed geniunely interested. I mentioned some other gunmakers and they asked about a 16 on 20 ga. frame. I tried not to drop to my knees but said a Beretta 16 on a 20 gauge frame would be very sweet indeed.

We need to make some noise the next couple of days. They said they would take a look at us. Beretta, like any battleship, might take a couple of years to turn but it would be worth it.

16ga.

Wow... where to start.

First, I have to confess to laughing my ass off at your comment about trying not to drop to your knees when they talked about a 16 on a 20 gauge frame. Too funny... I can only imagine how that must have felt.

Second, are we talking sxs Beretta like a silverhawk or o/u Beretta like a White Onyx/SP 68x? I have to say, I hope they have kept track of how highly sought after their very rare Silverhawk 47x sxs are in the used market. How were they interested... meaning?

Third, heck, SXS or O/U from Beretta in a 16 on a 20 gauge frame, I would buy both of them. I own(ed) a 686 SP I and 686 White Onyx and love both of them, so this is not a hard sell for me.

Fourth, noise... what kind of noise? You name it, I will help make it. I have to say though that I don't think being unable to sleep at 2:30 responding to your Beretta post quite qualifies, but it shows some level of devotion in anycase...

Thanks for the update,

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:50 am  Reply with quote

If Beretta can get one out before Ruger I'm buying (unless that 16g. straight grip 28" IC/F 0-frame Parker VHE drops from heaven and suspect the Diety has better things to do) Agree with Brad it needs to be a Beretta quality but hunters-level $ gun.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Sorry-one more thing. Please tell Beretta to skip the fake 'engraving'-we're buying this gun to shoot birds-not stun them out of the sky with it's good looks.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Great news!!
I'd say order me a Beretta sxs 16, but I just ordered a Merkel 1620 combo.

Good luck.
Pete
Flytier
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:46 am  Reply with quote

You got my vote for an onyx or 686 16 gauge over/under. Especially one with a nice satin finish oiled stock. I am no fan of the plastic coatings on wood, whether it is on furniture or gunstocks. Maybe if Beretta makes the gun, the ammo manufacturers will sit up and take notice.

This is great!

flytier
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

4sq,

Nice order you got there. Where'd you order from if you don't mind me asking?

rayb
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

i would buy a silverhawk s x s in 16 ga if it were available.

missed one on an auction

was broke when i saw another

even better was a hammer version s x s that i couldn't afford at the time. tell them to make a short barrelled s xs with hammers for the cowboy shooters, they've already scarfed up all the Model 97 winchesters and whacked the barrels off of them. then they can make a few more s xs s with hammers and longer bbls for the hunters

rayb

Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Count me in too. Love to see a modern, affordable alternative out there in 16ga. As said above, maybe the ammo companies will take notice.

Hc

BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Google up Beretta USA & Beretta International and leave messages.

It will take a nice order from a major dealer. Suggest you go to Joel Etchen site and look at his fine guns and let him know how great a 16ga O/U or SxS would be and suggest that he partner with another major dealer to commission a run as has been done 3 times now with Citori.

He has my standing order for a 686 Gallery edition 16ga with EELL wood like the 12ga guns he still has pictured. I bought one of the 20's before they sold out and love it. 28" barrels and 6#1oz.

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

I have one of Berettas best made 16 gauges(IMHO) and would go for another SxS at the drop of a hat. Beretta once made the 411E in 16 gauge. It was a 6.5 lb., double triggered, straight stocked, splinter forend with ejectors. If they could do it then they should be able to do it again. I hope to see it in my life time.
Good shooting,
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Since Beretta has made 16 ga. SxS models in the past, and I think they are built on the 20 frame, I am betting they have already got one in the wings or you would not have gotten any positive signals. Beretta still makes small lots of these guns for the European market. They also will still make a custom gun in the higher grades. This is probably the reason they have held off. Now they understand there is a small but growing mainstream demand for 16 ga guns.

Now they are eying the market that Merkel, Huglu and the Spanish makers have had to themselves and want in. I call this the "me too" factor all manufacturers suffer from. Beretta execs can't sit by and let the other guys have anything to themselves for long. However, I do not see a 16 on 20 frame O/U gun. Their 20 ga. frame is pretty small as it is. I think they will bypass the O/U market here. They seem to consentrate their efforts on the target guns in the O/U venue. The 16 is primarily a hunting gauge.

I would get one while the getting is good. I think the sudden "me too" factor will overwhealm the market with 16 ga. guns and most makers will drop out again in the next few years. However, they can't sit by either and appear to be stodgy. We will benifit... for a while. 16GG
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:32 am  Reply with quote

I'd love to buy a 391 auto in 16 ga. The 1 1/8 oz load from a 16 gauge is great. Beats the standard 1oz from my 20 ga.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

heck Sco, the 1 oz. from your 16 beats a 20. A 20 is a wannabe 16 that never reached puberty. Wink
Rem16
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

And a 12 guage got jelous of the 16 and used steroids! I like the idea of a 16 Berreta, but would take a ruger gold or red label over a berreta if I had to choose one......... but Id take both if I could Wink If berreta decides to make a run of theese, when could they be availlable and what price range would they be in? If you dont know, giva an educated guess Laughing