16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New 16 SXS in the stable
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:35 am  Reply with quote

This is a lengthy post so I apologize up front.

A month ago or so I saw a William Powell & Sons 16ga. boxlock on Steve Barnetts web site. The dimensions were very close to my Citori's which fit me very well. I called Steve and asked him if he was coming to the Classic Arms show in Las Vegas this week. He said he was and that he would try to bring the gun with him.

During the following weeks I convinced myself that I had no business buying such an expensive gun (for me) when I had more than enough servicable shotguns for any purpose. I was determined not to go to the show.

The mind was willing but the flesh was weak!

After a round of golf on Saturday (and several adult beverages) I got to thinking about that damn gun!

My first inclination was to buy the gun and sneak it into the house. But then I had a better idea. I invited my wife to go along. When I told her I intended to buy a $$$$ english shotgun she just rolled her eyes but agreed to go along.

We got to the show with about 2 hours left before they closed for the day. My first stop was in the Connecticut Shotgun booth. I wanted to check out the RBL but I didn't see any. (They probably had them down at the SHOT show which is in town this weekend also.) I steered my wife over to a beautiful cased Purdy 20ga. "Thats a pretty gun how much is that?" $75,000 Shocked

On to the Dewings booth! I liked their slogan: "Spoil yoursef! You deserve it!" Showed my wife a couple of nice original Parkers. ($20,000 - $30,000) Shocked

On to William Larkin Moore, Griffin and Howe, Holland and Holland and Ivory Bead! By this time my wife was in total shock and I was starting to get glassy eyed! I was telling mysef that I deserved more than a mere low grade boxlock used 16 and that a matched pair of Boss guns was a great investment, well worth a 2nd. and 3rd. mortgage on the house!

We finally made it to Steve's booth and there, at the end of the third table, was the William Powell! I think it was the lowest priced gun in the booth. I closed my eye and brought it to my shoulder and when I opened my eyes, all I saw was bead! It fit me like a glove!

My wife's comment: "It doesn't have all that pretty engraving!" I knew then, that she herself had slipped over to the dark side! I would be able to abuse my credit card to any extent I cared!

But reason prevailed. I started my negotiations by telling Steve that the gun seemed to be made for me and in my mind I was already hunting pheasants in Colorado with it. He countered by saying that was nice!

With the haggling out of the way he wrote it up and the deal was done.

I had noticed on his website that he takes trades and consignments so, as an afterthought, I had thrown a Win. model 42 in the car. It is a standard field model in very good shape that was given to me by a friend but I never use. As an afterthought I mentioned it to Steve and he said he would like to see it. My wife offered to walk to the car (no short walk by the way) to get it. Steve and I sat and talked while we waited. When my wife got back he uncased it, looked at it for about 5 seconds and said "I'll reduce the price of the William Powell by $1,200!

(I know what you are all thinking! and you can stop right now!)

So, maybe I payed a little too much for the WP. It has been refinished, In England, but by whom Steve didn't know, and with the exception of a slight blemish on the bottom of the stock it looks like it came straight from the workers bench. 27" barrels, weighs in just under 6 lbs., locks up like a vault and comes with a makers case!

A great wife and an English 16!! Life is good!

Now if I can get through the day without going back to that damn show!

Matt
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Way to go and make us covet on the Lord's Day: great gun, MORE than understanding wife, fun in the Las Vegas sun! Very Happy
You just might think about alittle pay-back come V-Day this coming Tues.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Great story!
Count yourself lucky to live in a town that has interesting gun shows.

Any chance of pics of your new acquisition?

Pete
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Congratulations - CitoriFeather16! Nice snag! I bet the birds will be in trouble next season.

Hc

CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

Foursquare: Steve still has nice pics of the gun on his website www.stevebarnettfineguns.com click on his inventory and click on 16 ga. guns. It is the last one listed.

I fondle it every night!

Matt
offhand35
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Be careful, don't ignore your wife for the William Powell!!!! Especially after how the whole deal at the show happened!!!!
You may have to change your username........

The photos are very nice......let us know how it shoots for you!

TJC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16,
Nice looking gun you picked up there. I just checked out their site and I think I'm going to call on the LC Smith that is listed as new. Looks like a nice gun.

I knew I shouldn't look.

sbs470
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:25 am  Reply with quote

Hi CitoriFeather16
CONGRATULATIONS you've got a great gun and the people at Powells are really helpful..I love using my Powell 12 bore,such a beautiful gun as I am sure yours is.

good shooting
sbs470
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:13 am  Reply with quote

Hey CitoriFeather16-so what WAS the V-day payback for the Powell?!? Wink
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Thanks SBS470! I will be e-mailing Powell to try to find out when it was made. Barnett thought sometime pre-war so I'll be taking advantage of the low pressure reloading info!

Rev., payback was only a dozen roses and a steak dinner at the Capital Grill! Well, I may have promised her a trip to Puerta Vallarta too! But that's ok as it only got up to around 50 degrees yesterday!

Matt
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:54 am  Reply with quote

What a woman-looks like we BOTH managed to marry better than our wives did Wink!
RWG
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Good choice Matt. I had my eye on that Powell. As well. Best deal at the show, I'd say. And a very unique lock up in that action. Not sure if its a powell patent or not. I still have to look it up.

Honestly, you swung a good deal. If I'd had the cash on hand, that gun would have come back to Ohio with me. English 16s are fairly rare.

Do me a favor, see if there are any patent numbers on the action or barrel flats. If so, I will look it up for you and me both. Russ
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Foursquare: Steve still has nice pics of the gun on his website www.stevebarnettfineguns.com click on his inventory and click on 16 ga. guns. It is the last one listed.

Great gun Matt. I was planning on looking at that gun when I am down in Mississippi later this week. Congrats...

There is that really nice looking L.C. Smith and then an AH Fox and a VH Parker though. Hmm...

Cheers,

Brad
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

Nice Elsie on that site. I've been tempted to call on that since last week.

John Molnar
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:47 pm  Reply with quote

I am un-married. With that said, my shooting friends at the skeet club have a rule....
RULE 1, All guns cost $300.00. Laughing .......

I am not rich my any stretch of the imagination, I own a truck for God's sake ... There is a tipping point. At some point you are NOT spending money you are transferring money into a different form....

That is a great looking sxs..... Nothing like like a gun that fits...... Got'a love the feeling....