16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  VP shooting
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Cheney shoots hunting partner-----------------Sh12--the press wil eat this up Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed not that know they know the difference between a bullet and a piece of shot Evil or Very Mad
bigric
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:41 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
Cheney shoots hunting partner-----------------Sh12--the press wil eat this up Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed not that know they know the difference between a bullet and a piece of shot Evil or Very Mad

And with a 28 guage, too.
16crazy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Well if he did it with a 28 gauge that just shows how dangerous that gauge is! We better ban it!
I think we need a 28 gauge buy back program to get these weapons off the streets and out of the fields.
By all means we need a 30 day waiting period on these bad guns.

You know its coming!
16 crazy
16crazy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:30 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:

Further thoughts on the press - wait until they find out the difference betwen a shotgun and a rifle, I can hear it now,
" And the VP's weapon, a deadly 28 gauge shotgun which unlike a rifle fills the air with thousands of deadly pellets. This weapon and others like it are designed to cut a 4 foot wide pattern of death nearly the length of a football field. True sportsman have no need for such a weapon which is often made deadlier by using two barrels."
This is ___________reporting for _____ network.

Everybody can insert the reporter and network of choice.
16crazy
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:57 am  Reply with quote

I'm betting the whole thing gets downplayed. Cheney is a very connected and powerful individual. The main news items are in the Mideast. If the press wants their cake, they will eat this one or end up being uninvited to the press releases and government generated media events.

Of course , this will not stop the lunitic liberal fringe. However, these folks don't enjoy the attention they used to. Mainstream America is now solidly conservative and dis these clowns now... except in MA, the luny bin I call home, and in LaLa land too.16GG
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Give the VP a pass, he did shoot a LAWYER! (sorry guys, that was just way too easy Wink )
Foursquare
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

There appears to be a lesson for all us hunters to take seriously in this.

The victim had dropped back from the group to search for a downed bird.
He then approached the group unannounced from the side, on lower ground and with the sun behind him. Even though everybody was wearing their "blazing" orange (as one talking head put it) he still wasn't visible.
What was he thinking?

The best safety device is the one between your ears.

Pete
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:51 am  Reply with quote

Listening to the news I am still not certain I have heard what happened. The idea of the end shooter having a shooting lane of 180 degrees seems normal by what I have experienced. This never will make a shooting accident acceptable but it will make it understandable. The two men involved are the ones who in the end must live and remember what happened. For those that have an agenda this will fuel their fire and for those of us that hunt it should remind us to be careful, least we make the headlines ourselves.
Safe shooting,
Ron
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:08 am  Reply with quote

Of all the game birds I've hunted, quail seem to be the most hazardous.
Of the half dozen wing shooting hunting accidents I 've witnessed or heard of locally, 5 were over quail. They also have the most limited range of all game birds in Ma to boot. Cheney broke one of the quail hunting guidelines I was taught in Florida years ago. Never hunt quail with more than one companion at a time.

Quail tend to fly flat and head high. They are also geared by natural selection to flush in different directions and not all at once. It is also best to hunt them alone or in pairs--never more than two hunters. One guy is the designated shooter who shoots middle quartering angles and left and the other guy covers the right breaking birds. Then you swap. hunt side by side and never step forward of the other guy unless he has an opened gun and is surrendering the shot before the flush.

Its too easy to lose track of where everyone is in the heat of a covey flush with more than two shooters. For this reason, I hunt quail either alone, or with someone I know to be well versed in wingshooting safety etiquette.

I realize that such is probably impossible for the VP. Everything he does gets turned into a media event by the press core and his publicity people. When you add the security people, things get crowded. In such conditions, I just would not hunt quail. Cheney forgot and somebody got hurt. It should not have happened at all. 16GG
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Everyone is "on point" (pardon the pun, this is really not a laughing matter) with the safety issues raised. No one knows better than we bird hunters how easy it would be to do what Chaney did. I saw some good advice above: Don't hunt with several in the party. Cheney followed a cardinal rule, to an extent: "Never point your gun at anything you don't intend to shoot". Well, he intended to shoot the quail---didn't suspect the lawyer would be in the way (which they usually are---they're a lot like bankers---"necessary evils" as I've heard them described).

But, if you noticed, as the discussion ensued, Anne Armstrong, on whose ranch the hunt took place, was a convenient witness, watching from the "safety" of her car---and sympathetic to Cheney too. The Armstrongs were and are long time compadres of the Bush's and Cheneys. As usual, the Secret Service agents aren't talking; and significantly, neither is Whittington--at least yet. The media may have a little fun, but when it gets right down to the nut cutting, there's no real place for them to take this...

Parker Trojan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

I almost always use a 12 ga. with slugs when hunting lawyers. It's damn lucky that Dick didn't shoot the dog by accident; it's hard to find a good bird dog, friends come and go. Twisted Evil
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:04 am  Reply with quote

It appears that things have gone the way I expected. The media is trivializing the matter by turning it into a national joke. The Republicans have circled the wagons. I expect a few of the more liberal Democrats to take a shot or two. The Republicans can counter with the picture of Kerry and son pheasant hunting and "sneaking up on them by crawling on his belly." they can follow up with the fact that its safer to go hunting with the VP rather than take a car ride with Teddy Boy. Then they pull out the old picture of Dukakis in the tank, helmet on head, looking very much like Tooter Turtle. End of game and back to the war. Wink 16GG
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:52 am  Reply with quote

Did anybody else see the reporter on CNN displaying buckshot that he'd just taken from a 12ga shell, as if that's what Cheney was using?

I couldn't hear what he was saying, but that picture looked awfully stupid.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:05 am  Reply with quote

What else would you expect from Clowns, Nincompoops, and Numbskulls.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:50 pm  Reply with quote

I saw on the Internet tonight that Whittington had a "mild heart attack"...not particularly good news for Cheney....