16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Benelli Ultra Light 12 Gauge!! Let's be Realistic!!
bird buster
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Sad I hate to be negative but sometimes we have to realize the 16 gauge fate. I currently have three and was really hoping that Benelli may produce one in sixteen but after handling the new 12 ultra light at the gun store this past weekend, I doubt it will happen. The unfortunate thing is that I can understand why now. The ultra light twelve is around six pounds and feels wonderful. I don't see where Benelli could make a 16 any lighter that would be recoil tolerable for most shooters. Plus the demand is not there. A twelve is just more useful esp. at that weight. With the materials used by companies today, you can make a twelve as light as manageable so there is no longer that weight difference between the twelve and sixteen. I am definitely pro sixteen but also realistic. I may consider the new Benelli ultr light to go with my M2 twelve gauge. The wood on the new Benneli looked nice too. I think all the mfg.'s are responding to the demand from bird hunter's for a light twelve auto. For instance, Winchester Super x2 light and I believe Browning has trimmed weight. This spells doom for us sixteen gauge lovers. These are just facts. Plus shells are just not as available unless you reload and most just strictly hunters don't. Hate to come across negative but I like to be realistic.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Don't you just hate it when someone is both logical and correct Rolling Eyes ?! HOWEVER, for those of us with the 16 gauge Oppositional-Defiance Disorder (16GODD-WOW, that ought to mean something!!! Laughing HEY founders-should we change the name of the 16g. Society???) I'd observe that neither my Benelli M1 nor SBE would reliably cycle 7/8 oz and sometimes 1oz loads and those of us who use them for bird hunting want to shoot them ALOT at targets the 1-2 mths before bird season. That leaves those recoil wimps like myself once again with a Model 12 or 37, an O/U or (what the Diety carries) SxS and IT OUGHT TO BE A 16.
Sorry for the rant (which BTW comes from the Latin word 'to pray')
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

A six pound 12 is too lite. 1 ounce loads would be about all I would care to shoot in it. Some one will mention the old saw about how you never feel recoil when hunting and to that I answer BULL! Get a bad mount with your 8 pound gas auto and let off a 3 inch duckie load and u will feel it, I know, I've done it! A 6 pound 16 would fit the bill for an upland gun but alas, only us diehard fans would appreciate it.
swamp rat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

It is called the 16ga. society for a reason. One of them is for us diehard fans of the 16ga to have a place to unite and perhaps put pressure on one or two manufactures to continue producing 16ga guns and ammo....

Change the name, Change the purpose - you'll lose me and others...

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Swamp rat: It's just a joke brother. Very Happy
swamp rat
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sure it was!

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Realistic!!! What the hell is that? Laughing Please don't bother me with such logic. I'm having too much fun dreaming up stuff for the gun companies to make. Wink 16GG.
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with an earlier comment: a 6 lb. 12 ga is too light---for that matter, a 6 lb. 4 oz 16 ga. is bordering on the edge of too light---I know because I have a beautiful one---the Merkel 1620. If I shoot factory 1 ouncer's in it, it punches me. With the pheasant loads I don't feel it as much due to the adrenalin, etc. but after shooting 50 to 75 skeet birds---I FEEL IT ! To me, a gun has to have enough weight so you can control it. Really, for clays, the Citori feels about right. For game, the 1620 can't be beat.

SageRat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:52 am  Reply with quote

I would ask that you naysayers reconsider on a 6 lb Benelli 12 ga. There are a lot of people that shoot 1 oz loads and for that matter, 1 1/4 oz loads in 6 lb 20 ga. gun.

Since the 12 ga. historically patterns as good or better than the smaller gauges with like loads, I think it might be a plus. Since nice light 16 ga. autos are not available in new guns, this might be an excellent choice for the foot hunter that carries their gun all day long.

On the upper end, an 1 1/4 load would provide all the firepower for the uplands and 1 oz for the smaller birds. Just a matter of choice in what you want to shoot.

Other than this post, I have not seen anything else on the proposed Benelli.