16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Getting started for reloading bismuth
Roper
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

After browsing the Hodgdon data site I started a process check for loading bismuth. I'm using Federal hulls as they are reported to have the largest volume of all the other hulls. Since bismuth is not as heavy as lead it will take up more room in the hull.

I'm starting with 1 ounce loads so I figured the first thing was checking which bar in my Sizemaster would drop a full ounce. It turned out the 1 and 1/8th ounce bar (302-118) did just that, 439 grains on average.

Next I need to pick up some Remington SP16 wads according to the Hodgdon recipe. They're noted as being used for 1 to 1 1/8 ounce loads. But I'm wondering if they'll be big enough. They should be or Hodgdon wouldn't list them...right?

Anywhoo, is anyone else using this recipe, and if so, how's it working for you?

Thanks, Roper
deer hunter
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

The load co. should be pretty much right on . I usually start with 11/8 components around the 1 oz load . The general comparison is that biz will volumn as you noted - approx 1/8 oz more volumn per weight . This should be one of those NICE things about the sp wad - it should take the volumn and work nicely .

DDawg
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

Roper, Lyman shotshell reloading manual; #5, has some good loads. I use the bluedot 1 1/8oz loads, in the federal cases. They have worked real good for me; ducks and pheasants. Some people have said that the bluedot powder does not work good in cold weather. I live in the southwest desert. Very Happy So, I am not worried about real cold. When it gets below 50 degrees us desert dawgs start hibernating. Wink Good luck.