16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Charles Daly 16GA
SBFD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

I was looking at a Charles Daly 16 Ga Field II Hunter O/U.
Anyone have one, or have any opinions on them?

Thanks
nossman
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

I too have looked at this gun, and was wondering the same. The SxS they offer also peaked my interest.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

For an economical shotgun have you checked into the Spartan line?
nossman
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Yes. And for the time being, passing. At my local dealer, I handled a couple of Spartin's then a couple of Citori's. What a world of differance! If the level of quality of the Spartin's were to improve a little, I just might reconsider. For now, I'm holding off and saving for a Citori. Just wouldn't mind finding somthing, say mid-way between the Spartin & Citori (quality wise). I was looking at the Verona's, but seems that they have suffered the fate of a weak importer.
Did I read in another post that you recently purchased a Spartin? If that was you, and assuming you have now put a few rounds through it, how do you feel about that gun? Would you buy another? Better yet. Would you recomend your little sister (assuming you have one) to purchase one?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

I'd highly recommend staying with your original game plan and go for the Citori. The CD lists at over 1K now. The best you can probably do is $820 at a discount. That might prove tough since most dealers won't stock a 16. The CD only comes in 26" barrels w/ fixed IC and Mod chokes, extractors and a single non selective trigger. The wood looks like orange crate grade with the god awful orange brown stain mixed into the plastic based finish. The gun is listed at 6-3/8 pounds. I'm betting its more.

The 16 ga SxS is only offered in the lowest grade and weighs the same as the 12 at 7-1/8 pounds. So its probably made on a 12 ga. frame. It looks like a Zabala barreled action with fixed chokes in only the 26" length.It has the same type wood and finish. The price is about 1.1K which is no bargain.

CD guns have seen better days. They are merely playing lip service to the 16 ga market. They do not offer nearly as much for the dollar as they did when Miroku was making them. The company changes owners and suppliers faster than some folks change their shorts. I'd strongly advise looking elsewhwere.

A clean used Citori won't be that much more than a specially ordered CD 16. You'll not only get a well backed up, higher quality gun, but will also get a lot more features on it like choke tubes, a selective trigger, and ejectors. The Browning will also hold its value much better too. I'd look there.
k28ga
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:52 pm  Reply with quote

nossman wrote:
Yes. And for the time being, passing. At my local dealer, I handled a couple of Spartin's then a couple of Citori's. What a world of differance! If the level of quality of the Spartin's were to improve a little, I just might reconsider. For now, I'm holding off and saving for a Citori. Just wouldn't mind finding somthing, say mid-way between the Spartin & Citori (quality wise). I was looking at the Verona's, but seems that they have suffered the fate of a weak importer.
Did I read in another post that you recently purchased a Spartin? If that was you, and assuming you have now put a few rounds through it, how do you feel about that gun? Would you buy another? Better yet. Would you recomend your little sister (assuming you have one) to purchase one?

try this, these are great guns, i own three now.

karl