16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Can we start talking about guns/shooting/hunting/dogs again?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

Will freely confess to be part of hijacking the Forum away from 16g. stuff but alot of it has just been in fun plus the usual winter/after the bird season/too cold to fish or shoot targets/no more empties to reload boredom. Looked over the topics so far in 06' and by far the most visited thread has been 'What's the best 16 for the money?' followed closely by 'Barrel strength', 'SHOT show', and 'What do you use in the field?'
That's what folks seem to care about.
BTW: Dr 16g.-where are you buddy?
offhand35
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

Well.......it sounds like you're just gonna have to go out and buy something!

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Besides....everybody knows that the "best" 16ga. for the money is a pre-WWII Winchester Model 12 , IC choke, 26" barrel in 99% condition.....

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

Read me like a book offhand Wink Went to WilliamLarkinMoore this am after dropping off my 12g Trojan at DL Precision to have the chamber lengthened. Was hoping they found me a nice homeless 16g. KS & S. Dakota pheasant SxS at Las Vegas and to check on my Model 12 Trap and Parker SC SBT on consignment. They're getting in a 16g. Sterlingworth in a wk or two AND DON'T ANYBODY GO POACHING IT FIRST BEFORE I GET TO SEE IT. Laughing
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:58 pm  Reply with quote

You're awful close Wolfchief-mine was made in 40' with a Simmons Rib added and shot enough that I don't have to worry about scratching it on an Osage Orange swinging after a quail with my feet wrapped around a multi-flora rose thicket!
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Finally ran out of hulls to reload and the ice has been to thin to fish on so I had to buy something. I couldn't find a 16g that excited me so I had to trade for another 12g. I would have liked to find another 16g Beretta, but I settled on a 1946 O/U S3 style. I sure look forward to warmer weather. I guess I will have to keep looking for the 16g of a life time. I hate to wait for the new Beretta Silver Hawk in 16g. Oh well, maybe the ice fishing will get better.
Good shooting,
Ron
fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:27 pm  Reply with quote

Got bored last weekend and went to a local gun show where you usually only find deer rifles and castoff type shotguns and .22's.Lo and Behold a gently used 1940 vintage model 12 (16 ga. of course) beckoned from the midst of a rack of otherwise forgettable firearms. The LOP was good, the choke was acceptable for a pheasant hunter and the dealer was actually ready to strike a deal. When we got home, my Chesapeake licked the stock and gave it her blessing.Anything that smells like Hoppes and goes bang seems to put a smile on a gundogs happy face.Now the midwinter project is to get as many Winchester books as I can find in the local library and fill the dark recess' of my brain with a bunch of information pertinant only to a firearms enthusiast(formerly known as a gun nut).Ran a couple of boxes of 1oz. loads thru the old girl and even managed to powder the odd white flyer.That's enough BS, didn't mean to bore you'all.You know how it is in the middle of winter. Any day shooting is a good day.

Bronco
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:44 am  Reply with quote

For the past 30 years I have shot my grand fathers 16ga M12, plain 26in bbl, IC. I am glad to say that I no longer have this fine old family heirloom--I have passed it on to my 25yo son to be the 4th generation to shoot this gun. He grew up shooting his 1100 Lt20 but has now seen the light and come into the fold. My wife now shoots the 1100. 4 months ago I acquired an English 16ga box lock and, just recently, acquired two like new 16ga Husky hammer guns, a M48 and a M102. Talk about fun. Next step--black powder Very Happy
grouse gunner
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:23 am  Reply with quote

Hey Bronco and Wolfchief,

What's the choke constriction on your IC barrels and, are they factory original? My excellent condition circa 1959 28 in. 16 ga.model 12 modified is .09 and seems to evenly smash targets at 15 or 50 yards. I've always hoped to find an IC but do not plan on touching the choke on this one. Just curious. Mine's about the most well balanced gun I've ever handled except for maybe the Perazzi skeet gun I almost bought recently. I'm struggling with learning to pump it though , but time should fix that. I'm thinking a 26 inch IC might even be better.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:20 am  Reply with quote

Looks like the theme for the thread is going to be 'what I bought while bored and it was a great deal anyway' And we give our wives a hard time about the genetic need to 'gather in groups' Wink So what's everybody been buying???
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:35 am  Reply with quote

Well, speaking of WL Moore, I just picked up an AyA #4 Deluxe they imported when they were still out in California, 1981. It's a 20 . . . I had a chance at the Francotte 25E 16 I mentioned on another thread, but lots more money and too much like my Greener 16. I'm not sure they imported the 4's and 4 Deluxe's in 16--don't think I've ever seen one. But this is a much nicer gun than the current 453. Scalloped receiver, full coverage engraving, lots of figure to the wood. Weighs 6# with 26" barrels, open chokes. Not only nicer than a 453, but cheaper as well--even with an AyA leather covered hard case.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:05 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Looks like the theme for the thread is going to be 'what I bought while bored and it was a great deal anyway' And we give our wives a hard time about the genetic need to 'gather in groups' Wink So what's everybody been buying???

Heh, actually an interesting topic Doc. Much more so than sitting here watching it snow.

Well, mostly buying books here. I just ordered Walt Snyders book on the history of Ithaca and just finished reading Waterman's "Gundogs and Bird Guns', Steve Smith's Hunting Upland Gamebirds and McIntosh's "The best shotguns ever made in America". I just ordered at the book store 2 old favorites by Havilah Babcock, "My Health is better in November" and "Best of Havilah Babcock". I am still looking for some good shotgun research books. I will probably end up getting "The Parker Story" and "Best Guns" as well as "A.H. Fox - The best gun ever made" by McIntosh.

Definitely considering subscribing to SS, Gun Dog and maybe DGJ. Certainly they have made the time fly by this winter. Plus, it was so nice earlier this week (65 on Tues/Weds) that I was out shooting some informal targets. Although the return of the snow this morning have me wishing for spring again.

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:31 am  Reply with quote

Larry: you really gave me a bad case of 'covets' which I was just getting over after visiting WLM yesterday.
KyBrad: great reading-consider re-reading all of Gene Hills' stuff esp. his 'Shotgunners Notebook' and maybe even Ruark's 'Old Man and the Boy' and the follow-up 'The Old Man's Boy Grows Older' Wasn't there a release of Corey Ford's stuff about 10 yrs ago also?
But what's your reference to 'snow'-don't seem to recall that gunmaker? Scandinavian? Scottish? (Tried not to gloat the it's never too cold to shoot targets in Phoenix but it will be hotter than the surface of the sun in about 5 mths)
Heading out to 'walk' the 3 mths old setter pup. Finally gave up and bought full arm 'gauntlet' waterfowl gloves to protect my arms and some of the lacerations are actually starting to heal! He already has down: kennel up, inside, outside, fetch-it-up, whoa, sit, alright, and get a drink but for some reason does seem to get the 'NO' word. Will post pics if my wife can figure out how to do so because I'm clueless.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:34 am  Reply with quote

Sorry-that should be does NOT get the 'no' word Rolling Eyes
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:59 am  Reply with quote

The 16 gauge Model 12 boredom flu hit me about a month and a half ago. I picked up a 1924 M12 (16 gauge of course!) for a low price because it has a Polychoke. The gun is in otherwise great shape, so now it's over at Ahlman's getting opened up fpr 2 3/4" ammo. I had one before and foolishly traded it away, so I'm must atone for my sin. It is now my official 16 gauge backup/rainy weather/dial-a-choke/boredom-relief gun.