16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A long journey for a December Grouse
PatrickB
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

December is a month the dog, Dash, and I mainly hunt alone as both the MN weather and the holiday season social commitments take hunting partners away from going. For many years Dash and I would hunt MN pheasants until I decided one trip to try something I had never done before – late season grouse hunting. And since that trip two years ago Dash and I have been on a December journey for grouse. I’m in agreement with the hunting books I’ve read about late season grouse hunting that it’s a challenge. Coming into this December we had yet to even see a late season grouse. That is correct – a half dozen December trips in the past two seasons and Dash and I had yet to see a bird much less shoot one. It became a mystery as to why we had September and October birds but the woods went quiet come December. As we headed out this past Sunday I explained to Dash I was positive we were going to figure out the mystery this year and find a bird or two. Let me take you on the Sunday trip with some pictures. I don't have a good camera and it was cold - 14 degrees - so I did the best I could.

As I drove down the forest road to our location this is what it looked like.

From the forest road we walk 400 yards down a trail until the mature forest turns into an area that has been harvested twice - once about 10 years ago and another section about 3 years ago. It's a long walk to the spot but it has a good age group mix. Here we are at the beginning of the "good stuff".

Here is the the 3 year old growth - it's a "dirty" woods with a lot of blow-down trees. Difficult walking and you need to go slow to give the dog time to work all the blow-downs but if you do flush a grouse you have good visibilty and clear shooting.

Over the next 2 hours we flushed 6 grouse in this area. Two birds flushed wild out of range otherwise the other four birds flushed right off the dogs nose. The shooting was close, fast and furious which was the problem. In my excitement to shoot a December grouse I rushed three different flushes and missed - with both barrels Shocked . I don't get into judging shooting skills but for me it's more rare than not that I miss with both barrels so I was a little frustrated. So, I took a 5 minute break and tried to explain to Dash if she could just flush one more bird I'd promise to remain calm and hit it. And, that is what happened on the next flush and I finally got my December bird.

Spanish AOC/SG 16ga SXS and a December Grouse

Spanish 16ga SXS, December Grouse and Dash

When she laid down I took the picture and said to myself, "Your right, we accomplished what we wanted and it's time to head for home." And so we did, leaving behind what seemed to be a hot spot full of grouse for another December day.

Last edited by PatrickB on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jgoodman1933
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:21 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. Great pictures. Looks like patience does pay.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:12 pm  Reply with quote

When she laid down I took the picture and said to myself, "Your right, we accomplished what we wanted and it's time to head for home."

Great report, but is it just me or isn't your dog's expression hinting at something a little more measured, while not coming right out and asking about those other 5 grouse it found for you? Dogs can be very diplomatic, as you well know.

Laughing
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:25 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice! I too walk those cold and snowy winter woods for grouse after the pheasant seasons have ended. There's something about it that transcends the need to bring home a bird every time. Just being out there is enough.
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:07 am  Reply with quote

Looks like a nice hunt. My toes are cold Laughing Thanks for sharing.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:58 am  Reply with quote

Very nice hunt I thought I was the only one who couldn't figue out where the late season birds go. I took some great pictures of a grouse hunt last weekend but don't know how to post them. Same deal Grouse,AYA and dog I love those kind of pictures very well done thanks.
Trigg
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:18 am  Reply with quote

I thought that was a wonderfup post; I enjoyed the descriptions as well as the photos. It appears you had a great experience; thanks for posting, I have only hunted in Minnesota once in the Grand Rapids area, but I hope to return next October.

I also hunt a lot in the winter and do a lot of walking for only a few birds, but both the dog and I love it. The dog ran 15 miles this last weekend and the dog pointed two birds both together behind a Spruce tree. One went right with me on the left toward the left side of the tree and there was no shot. One went left and we took him home for dinner. I was carrying my brand new never been fired 2116 Merkel so I was quite happy with that result. The wings, tailfeathers, and crop of that bird are now at our university as part of a study on winter grouse and what they eat and where they live etc.

I do enjoy these winter hunts but many weekends we do not take nor necessarily even see a grouse.

Trigg
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:20 am  Reply with quote

An English stocked gun with a good dog in great looking cover with birds around....pretty much my idea of heaven on earth. Thanks for the pictures.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:46 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the trip . I do enjoy the solitude of the NE grouse woods on a cold Dec day .
fourtrax
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

nice looking dog & you had a nice hunt.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

One last remark...every bird hunter owes it to himself to go on a December grouse hunt.

There's something special about it. The woods are empty and silent. The birds are settled down. There's no hurry to find birds before other hunters shoot them or they fly south. The days are short and you are back home sitting in front of the fireplace before dinner. And no disappointment if your bag is empty, because often the birds are all somewhere else, far away. And if you happen to get one or two, it's pure bonus. A grouse bagged in the snow is a gem.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:08 pm  Reply with quote

And one more last remark...

The low afternoon sun and blue sky reflecting off snow in December has a unique tranquilizing effect, anybody else notice that?
Trigg
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:40 am  Reply with quote

I will be out again this weekend. I was out last week and the week before. Even one bird is a large successs, but just being out is the key. There is both beauty and given Aska's snow and terrain considerable exercise.

You don't see others and there is solitude for certain. Last week there was beautiful; fresh snow, berries still brilliant red on some bushes. Snow peaked mountains quie close and in front to the East. A low Alaskan sun to the south. Occasional moose, fox, coyote, weasel.and bird tacks. A glacier visible on the left, a ravine in front with a steep drop off (small Canyon), A creek below in the drop off,
a mixed Spruce and Hardwood forest on fairly steep terrain with plateaus, and my German Shortair running hard toward with a ruffed grouse he pointed and retrived from dense Spruce along the very edge of that drop oof. A nice bird in a spectacular setting. I wish I had had a camera. The day done and time to go home after a walk and successful hunt culminating wiyh fine dog work.

Trigg

Trigg