16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  model 37 or 17 ??
J.B.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

Local gunshop has a 16ga 37 deluxe SN 979244 26" vent rib with mod choke. I would rate the gun at 97% they are asking $500 for it. They also have a Rem mod 17 with a 28" plain barrel and full choke. I would rate the gun at 90% they want $400 for that one.

Can anyone tell me what year the Ithaca was made?

Are these prices about right for these guns?

I shoot left handed and would need to get a left hand safety will a 37 safety fit a Rem 17?

I cant buy both so which one should I get? The Remington feels like it is made a little better and is very smooth. The 37 isn't bad either but it just does not feel the same(if that makes since)? I do like the nice wood on the 37 and of course the whole 16ga part.
Thanks, JB
birddog
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

JB,
The Ithaca was made in 1967, though this price seems a little high. I would look around at current values as they have softened some due to economic times. The Remington just isn't a 16ga. What more can we say? Remington produced the model 17 from 1921-1933.
Charlie

Winchester Mod 12 16ga. 30" full
Sears mod. 30 Ranger 16ga.
1 NEW Citori 525 Sporting Clays w/30"tubes
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good woman" D. Boone
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

Yes the 17 was made in 20 gauge only

http://www.remington.com/products/archived/shotguns/pump-action/model-17.aspx

Mike
fourtrax
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:49 pm  Reply with quote

If you buy the Rem. you would not be able to shoot steel shot through it with a full
choke. That may not be in your plans for an older gun anyway?

Del Mc Cubbin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

I have both guns, I love the little M17 and have killed several pheasants this year with it, mine has the old weaver choke device which is ugly but works well. I have a high grade M37 with upgraded wood etc. It is quite a bit heaver then the 17. Both guns are ultra smooth. Both of those guns your looking at seem high priced to me, buy about $100 or more.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:50 pm  Reply with quote

They are both priced high, go back in a month, he will have softened on the price by then. I'm ALMOST positive the lefty safety from a 37 will fit a 17, I can check to find out for you, if you buy the 17, before you cough up the money for one.
I own both guns, and I'm left handed. The 17 is a very nicely made gun, and, while you won't hear it here, a 20 is a great gun. Mine is a loaner these days, or, gets used to instruct folks at gun safety course. For a few years during and after high school, it was my one and only repeater, and it remains the only gun I have ever taken a MN limit of grouse and woodcock with, in the same day. I bought it for $50, hard earned dollars made digging bait in 1977. My Dad's deer hunting partner sold it to me. It has never broken, or acted up.
I doubt you would be disappointed with either gun.

Best,
Ted

Mod 97
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

Agree they are over priced.

I personally prefer the m17 to a 16ga 37.

But what we prefer is not important, it is what you like that matters in this case!

NR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

I guess there are a few of us with both guns.

I have a M17 / 1922 26 plain / Full and a
M37 solid rib / 1942 28 / full

Both are very smooth and quick to operate.
Weights
M17-6.1lbs
M37R-6.5lbs

I know of no parts that interchange that I have looked at. I am not sure about the safety; but have my doubts. I am sure if you could make a left hand safety for the M17.

Pricing is too high.
J.B.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses! I figured the prices were a little high but thought I would check. I received the model 37 book as a Christmas present and after reading some of it I am wondering if the 37 I am looking at is a Supreme? The checkering pattern and quality of the wood look the same.

Ted, If you could find out if the safety will interchange I would appreciate it. I am leaning towards the model 17 if I can get the price down a bit.
Thanks, JB
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:00 pm  Reply with quote

I took down the model 17 tonight, and have good news/bad news. First, the good news. The Ithaca lefty safety will fit in the hole, and is dimensionally very similar to the original safety. The bad news is it will need to be fitted by a competent gunsmith. It is not a drop in and use part in a model 17, like it is in an Ithaca. I figured I could get it to work with a bit of filing, but, had neither the time, nor a spare lefty safety for an Ithaca. I didn't want to alter the one I have. It appeared you could alter the trigger as well, but, that would likely be a bad idea, since, model 17 triggers aren't as easy to find as lefty Ithaca safetys. Mine have all come from Brownell's.
Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.
Best,
Ted

Rrusse11
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Gents,
If anybody wants one, I've got a Mod 17 solid rib 26" Mod that needs a new home. Pics available on request.
Cheers,
R*2
Ps. We never did get a ruling on non 16ga guns on the "For Sale" forum, but at least this thread is apropos.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you can put it there, things seem to be as they were, a good thing, I think.
One suggestion-put a price on it. Many of us did agree this isn't an auction site. Or, a fishing hole.

Best,
Ted

J.B.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Ted! I am waiting a few more days to go back and make a cash offer. This gun is in really great shape, knowing I can get the safety to work is great news!
Best, JB
Grousen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:11 am  Reply with quote

J.B.,

I sent you a PM.