16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  DeHaan 16 ga.
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:11 am  Reply with quote

I have ordered a DeHaan custom gun in 28 gauge, but was wondering if anyone on this forum has had any experience with their 16 ga. guns. They are available in O/U and SxS configuration, and while I really would like choke tubes, the 16 ga only comes with Imp. and Mod chokes.
Does anyone have/use one in 16 ga?
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
I have the same question. I just requested a catalog and was interested in the 20ga SxS for the same reason. The 16 has no choke tubes with it. I e-mailed the company and said they should marke t the 16's with chokes. No reply.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Nice review of the DeHaan guns in the new Shooting Sportsman; 28 and 20 ga though; no 16's. For the record: I got an e-mail from Mark DeHaan saying they had underestimated the demand for the SO 16ga guns, and are out of stock until spring. Don't know if I'm glad for the interest in 16's, or sad that it'll make it tough on the rest of us! Just like fly fishing: once the yuppies decided it was cool it sure drove up the demand/prices on gear, etc!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:00 pm  Reply with quote

:roll
I know how you feel. Renewed interest in the 16 can be a double edge sword. I'm a fly fisher and I can remember when there weren't many fly fishers on any one stream, but now it's different. I also remember when you couldn't buy a good fly line, but now that is different too.
I think if the 16 became more popular, there would far more ammunition available. Like this weekend, I had no trouble buying Winchester 20 ga 1oz, #5 at 1300 fps. Try that with a 16. You had better order them well ahead, if you could find them. So a higher demand may be better.
oley
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

USAFA 71 wrote:
I have ordered a DeHaan custom gun in 28 gauge, but was wondering if anyone on this forum has had any experience with their 16 ga. guns. They are available in O/U and SxS configuration, and while I really would like choke tubes, the 16 ga only comes with Imp. and Mod chokes.
Does anyone have/use one in 16 ga?

I ordered an O/U this summer. Great service, handsome, well made gun. I wanted a maximum 7lb gun and it weighted 7-14 oz. I hated to send it back but it was just to heavy for an upland gun. DeHaan should be getting other shipments in and maybe the wood won't be so heavy (dense). Great value - check the weight.
Oley

Skrapsooter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

EAA/Baikal makes a 16 gauge S/S with choke tubes. I have one of their O/U's and though not very fancy a really good shooter. Paid less than 4 bills for it brand new. Check there web site eaacorp.com.
Grouser
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

I would call Mark DeHaan and ask him about having choke tubes installed in the U.S.. No telling where the dollar will land, but the last price increase would probably cover the cost of tubes.

By the way, I did take delivery of a SXS (in another gauge) from DeHaan last weekend. Prior to delivery, the spec'ed weight concerned me, but the gun does not seem heavy. I hunted from 9-4 and I thought it handled well and shot well.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:36 am  Reply with quote

Wow! I am really glad I found this forum. So, I am new to the group. I also just mailed in my application to the 16 gauge society.
In response to this post, I just received a new 16 gauge O/U from DeHaan.
I haven't fired it yet, but I did fire a couple of shells w/ primers only and it did go bang. It is truly a beautifu gun. I have the U2 model. Extractors are not a problem as I reload, and I really have no problem w/ fixed chokes.
A reloader can tailor handloads to pattern tight or spread out as he wishes.
However, that is a subject for another post.
The action seemed tight but not overly so. The safety/barrel selector seemed a little stiff, but this should be expected on a new gun. It should loosen up a little in time. The safety button is a little smaller than I like. I haven't weighed the gun, but in comparison to my 20 gauge Citori, it feels about the same.
The wood is average walnut. All in all, a good gun for the money. I will take it to the skeet field this Saturday and will take it on a preserve quail hunt on April 7th. I will give another report then,
XVI

XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:30 am  Reply with quote

Ok Guys,
I took the 16 ga DeHaan to the range yesterday. The skeet fields were not open due to a tournament, so I went to the trap field. I am not a good trap shooter (I am a skeet shooter), but if you pointed the gun properly, it broke trap targets, and with authority. If you are considering getting a DeHaan O/U in 16 ga, get it. Don't worry about the fixed chokes. IC and MOD is about perfect for an upland gun. I seemed to have hit as many targets w/ IC as I did MOD and it didn't seem to make much difference. I was also using 7/8 ounce loads. The gun consistantly went bang and both barrels fired in proper order. Everyone who saw it liked it and one old trap shooter could not believe what I paid for it. He said if I told him I paid $3000 for it he would not have batted an eye! It's a lot of gun for $795.
XVI

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:25 am  Reply with quote

does someone have the web site for dehaan?? Might be woth a look
Scolari
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:28 am  Reply with quote

You are right about the chokes. They are just right. I took my Citori to the Sporting Clays course last weekend. I put two IC chokes in. They were a little too open for most birds as many shots were 35-40 yards. My partner had modified and broke the birds a lttle better than I did. I chipped a lot of the clays but his broke soundly. Tighter chokes on the clays field aren't a handicap.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:46 am  Reply with quote

The web site address is www.dhshotguns.com

XVI

hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:55 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, sites down, but I saved it.
Tim
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:25 am  Reply with quote

I took the DeHaan on a preserve quail hunt yesterday. It handled flawlessly.
I made a few great shots but did miss one or two. My concern, when I first got it was that it may be a tad heavier than what I like in an upland gun.
However, it balances so well that it does not seem heavy at all. The only thing I don't like about it is that the safety is on the small side and it is hard for me to get used to.
I think it is a keeper.
XVI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:17 pm  Reply with quote

I was wondering if USAFA 71 had a follow-up report on his Dehaan.

He didn't say whether it was O/U or SxS, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has a 16 ga SxS.

Any other input on dealing with the company and their guns would be welcome.